BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 4:15:41 PM EDT
despite the obvious racial and misogynistic overtones, I really love this movie

meryl streep and robert redford are fantastic
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Great.

So... What else has come Out of Africa? Any cars? Any manufactured product? Any inventions? Anything useful aside from natural resources?

Not being a racist here, just talking about the underlying issues that have kept this continent in the stone age(ish) with the corrupt and inept governments and a population that won't do anything about it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Great.

So... What else has come Out of Africa? Any cars? Any manufactured product? Any inventions? Anything useful aside from natural resources?

Not being a racist here, just talking about the underlying issues that have kept this continent in the stone age(ish) with the corrupt and inept governments and a population that won't do anything about it.

well, I wasn't hoping for a political discussion here, but I do agree with you.

its still a classic movie though
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]

I swear I fell asleep three times in that movie.  I thought I was going to die before it ended.

It never occurred to me there were positive aspects to it...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
despite the obvious racial and misogynistic overtones, I really love this movie

meryl streep and robert redford are fantastic

Yeah, one of my favorites too! Just an all around epic film - won bunch of Oscars for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Semi chick flick but still very well made.  She is the best actress of her day. Not a "hottie" but just so classy, I would do her. Wait, is that statement "ironic". WJ
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
[Meryl Streep doing excellent dutch accent]
I had a farm in Africa...

My husband gave me siphilis...

I fell in love with a handsome adventurer...

He died....

I feel bad for the natives....

I lose everything....

the end.

[/Meryl Streep doing excellent Dutch accent]

roy d....oh crap, how do you do that spoiler thing again? Hope I didn't ruin it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
It had a few good parts. Saw it with a liberal friend (back when I had such things), and he was upset they shot the lions in self defense ("it is their home!").

Mostly, boring.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great.

Pyramids? I guess they haven't moved.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it was incredibly boring and could barely get through part of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the book, too, a very good read.  She lead a life that very few people get a chance to, let alone actually do it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great.

Pyramids? I guess they haven't moved.

Its a stack of freakin blocks...a three year old could do it (scale).

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought this was an Obama thread...

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Great.

The human race

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Great.

The human race

That explains everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top