Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2010 3:37:18 PM EDT
A coworker of mine used these words today.

I googled it to see where it came from
Origin: Quotation from Publilius Syrus, a Latin writer of maxims in the 1st century BC. In the 17th century, British poet and dramatist John Dryden used it in "Absalom and Achitophel", generally considered to be the greatest political poem in the English language:

Must I at length the Sword of Justice draw?
Oh curst Effects of necessary Law!
How ill my Fear they by my Mercy scan,
Beware the Fury of a Patient Man.

This got me thinking about myself, because I am a guy who is extremely patient about things, I am able to hold down anger and or frustration for a very long time, but when I do cave in and release my anger I tend to do so in episodic fashion.

I destroyed my steering wheel once when I got so pissed at my then fiance.  I punched the hell out of the steering wheel causing it to have an eternal horn, which I had to disconnect.
I also would tend to put holes in walls when I eventually would loose my cool.

how many patient men out there like me?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I just came off of a 12 hour surveillance shift that started at 5:00 AM this morning, does that count?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
patients is a virtue.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm better now than I was in my teens and twenties, but there were quite a few examples of drywall's lack of strength after months of irritation finally found their release.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm very very patient.  I'm not so patient, however, when I think something isn't going the way it should.  Then, I make a scene, raise my voice, and generally make people not want to associate themselves with me.  I've lost a girlfriend because of one of my epic blowouts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I do a slow burn, then explode.  When I get really mad, something is gonna get changed *permanently*.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just came off of a 12 hour surveillance shift that started at 5:00 AM this morning, does that count?

How many 1 quart Gatorade bottles did you empty, and then refill?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I misread the title.

I though it was about Furries.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Angry yes. I never punch things or break stuff out of anger though. I am more interested in longstanding effects. I think it's a reason the politics of liberty has such an effect on me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think I can actually get angry anymore. I usually just sigh, shake my head, and walk away. I have my blood pressure at 105/60.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Very slow fuse but it can be lit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I am very slow to anger. Then I plot my revenge. It could be years but I will get even. Sweet, sweet is revenge if done properly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
If you force me out of my corner,you really must be fucking up bad. I will then proceed to shit all over the offender in a most terrible way.  I hate when people make me do that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't get mad I get even.

It may take years but once I set things in motion the offenders life will never be the same.

Several people will take "mood stabilizers" the rest of their lives because they pissed me off.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#15]
That's the quote used in the very beginning of the book "Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm very patient. I waited 30 years to gain revenge on a high school bully. I have a very bad temper and am very quick to anger. I'm also very good at controlling it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This got me thinking about myself, because I am a guy who is extremely patient about things, I am able to hold down anger and or frustration for a very long time, but when I do cave in and release my anger I tend to do so in episodic fashion.

I destroyed my steering wheel once when I got so pissed at my then fiance.  I punched the hell out of the steering wheel causing it to have an eternal horn, which I had to disconnect.

You're confusing patience with emotional immaturity.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I am VERY easy going. It really takes a lot to piss me off. When that does happen, you probably wouldn't want to be around me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the correct response...

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

patients is a virtue.

And money in the bank for a doctor.  

And a secure job for an English teacher.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry. I seem to remember hearing that from somewhere before the color changed to green.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

well I havent broken anything in over 10 years.. But the ability to hold back the anger that tends to build up based on years of transgressions, I would consider that patience.   All of my past outbursts have been after months if not years of holding back frustration while trying to calmly change the circumstances that were causing that frustration.

Patience is the state of endurance under difficult circumstances, which can mean persevering in the face of delay or provocation without acting on annoyance/anger in a negative way; or exhibiting forbearance when under strain, especially when faced with longer-term difficulties. It is also used to refer to the character trait of being steadfast.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm a patient man for the most part. I get angry from time to time, but almost never show it and when I do its not even memorable enough to recall the last time I did and I don't break things, or people. That's not including the temper tantrums I had from time to time as a teenager, when I did break things. I had to buy a new keyboard almost bi-weekly from my rage episodes while getting outfragged by a better (or cheating) player in Quake2.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm a patient man for the most part. I get angry from time to time, but almost never show it and when I do its not even memorable enough to recall the last time I did and I don't break things, or people. That's not including the temper tantrums I had from time to time as a teenager, when I did break things. I had to buy a new keyboard almost bi-weekly from my rage episodes while getting outfragged by a better (or cheating) player in Quake2.

I finally learned to handle cheating by getting admin and or my own server, then you can just ban the cheaters and finally enjoy the game again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

None today.

I was in a sedan (easier to pee in a minivan) and there was a convenience store about 3 blocks away from where I was sitting.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I get angry like any normal person , but I never act out of anger . In fact ,  I rarely raise my voice .
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#28]
LOVE the quote , Use it all the time , One of my mottos if you will HOWEVER....

I always took it as more of a "Without Remorse"/"Law abiding Citizen" Context ....

Beware the man that will show you nothing now, no matter HOW hard you push him, but have the patience to extract revenge at some point in the future when you least expect it.... Beware THAT fury ...

NOT ... I am patient till I blow my top......
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#29]
It all depends on how long since my last smoke and how many supplements I'm on at the time
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I head the advice of Colin Powell.
Get mad, then get over it.

I don't hold grudges.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I never get angry.  I occasionally get... um... evil, but never angry.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A coworker of mine used these words today.

I googled it to see where it came from
Origin: Quotation from Publilius Syrus, a Latin writer of maxims in the 1st century BC. In the 17th century, British poet and dramatist John Dryden used it in "Absalom and Achitophel", generally considered to be the greatest political poem in the English language:

Must I at length the Sword of Justice draw?
Oh curst Effects of necessary Law!
How ill my Fear they by my Mercy scan,
Beware the Fury of a Patient Man.

I always thought that quote meant both that patient men are slow to anger (thus being especially angered when they do finally blow their top), and that they're patient, so they'll lash out 18 months later with a killdozer instead of that day punching a hole in some drywall.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Because no one else quoted it.

"Vengeance is a dish best served cold"
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Never done surveillance work, have you?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't think I can actually get angry anymore. I usually just sigh, shake my head, and walk away. I have my blood pressure at 105/60.

I'm usually that way. But last week a new coworker decided to not so a simple task on the job as I instructed, and then pop off about it. I wassn't happy, but whatever, I can do the job. When we got back to the shop I asked him about it agian, and he popped off again. I found out that my voice actually goes lower when I am mad. I ended up telling my boss ( for reference, that is the third time I've told on someone in five years at this job). I grew up in a screwed up household so that helps.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I usually just sigh and say "oh well" but sometimes I have to take the lid off the kettle and punch a mattress a couple times or workout. I don't rage out like a child. Breaking things is pretty stupid and can have lasting effects on anyone who sees you. I know personally of a friend that dumped her 2 year boyfriend after he punched a hole in the wall. It's immature and there are better ways to deal with anger.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

blowing your top like a spoiled child isn't the act of a patient man.

That is poor impulse control, not patience.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#39]

I break stuff, throw stuff, curse and what not.  

I'm a little violent at times.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
patients is a virtue.

You must be a doctor.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Punching walls and shit?  Really?  
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#42]
it takes alot to piss me off.  usually i'll give warning before i blow my top.  "please <insert request>"  may repeat myself a time or two.  i'll stew over it for a few moments to build steam/pressure.  once pressure exceeds ASME pressure vessel spec for yumbeef's patience *POP*
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am VERY easy going. It really takes a lot to piss me off. When that does happen, you probably wouldn't want to be around me.

This...

I can deal with about anything without getting upset ...However when I snap things get ugly fast.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I put my fist through the bathroom wall once. I occasionally beat the shit out of my steering wheel/column, but I've tried to stay away from doing that because I'm afraid it will have the eternal horn...

Most of the time, if I get angry, I just slam a door or three and I'm good. If it's not the time/place, I fume until I can safely release my anger.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't think the author was referring to drywall when he wrote that.

Just my two cents.  

I should add that there's just a little plastic piece in the steering wheel that breaks to let the horn go on.   You could fix it for a couple bucks.

[ETA:  I hope none of you drywall busters encounters a stud.]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I thought this thread was going to be about that "law abiding citizen" movie.

I just watched it last week.  

10yrs later and he fucked everyone up.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Have yet to get so mad that I want to break something.  I take that back, maybe I have, I don't know.  I do know I'm in control, and I refuse to let emotions take hold of me.  You may be able to tell I'm angry from my voice and posture and movement (but I'm working on that), but you won't be able to tell by my actions.  Way, way too controlled for that.

More than one person has said that they hope to be several counties away should I ever let go.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm a very patient guy, in fact i get complimented on it often. When i go off it means someone or something fucked up bad and i really lose my shit. That being said i don't break my stuff. In my years on this earth i have learned when i break shit i get to fix it later and that just sucks.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Generally speaking, the bigger the bomb the longer the fuse.  

I guy I used to work with taught me that

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I thought this thread was going to be about that "law abiding citizen" movie.

I just watched it last week.  

10yrs later and he fucked everyone up.

Was loving the movie until I realized that Hollywood was going to fuck up the ending.  Just like in Eagle Eye, they give you a taste of retribution, but then the "good guy" saves everybody just in the nick of time. Would be nice to see more movies that encompass John Travolta's speech in Swordfish.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top