Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 1:04:20 PM EDT
Here is the one for handicapped parking:

ADA Handicap Accessible Parking Regulations:

When parking is provided for the public, designated accessible parking spaces must be provided, if doing so is readily achievable.

An accessible parking space must have space for the vehicle and an additional space located either to the right or to the left of the space that serves as an access aisle. This aisle is needed to permit a person using a wheelchair, electric scooter, or other mobility device to get out of their car or van.

* A sign with the international symbol of accessibility must be located in front of the parking space and mounted high enough so it is not hidden by a vehicle parked in the space. There are no ADA requirements or specifications for a painted handicap logo on the parking pavement.
  * Accessible parking spaces should be the spaces closest to the accessible entrance and be located on level ground. If it is not readily achievable to locate accessible parking in the closest spaces due to sloped pavement or other existing conditions, then the closest level area should be selected.
  * An accessible route must be provided between the access aisle and the accessible building entrance. This route must have no steps or steeply sloped surfaces and it must have a firm, stable, slip-resistant surface.
  * Van Accessible Spaces must have an access aisle that is at least eight-feet wide and be designated by a sign with the international symbol and "van accessible." There should be a vertical clearance of at least 98 inches on the vehicular route to the space, at the parking space, and along the vehicular route to an exit. A Van Accessible Parking Space (1 of 8 of all accessible parking spaces, but at least one, must be van accessible. Although designated a van accessible space, cars may use the space too). Provide a parking space that is at least 8 feet wide. There should be at least a 98 inch high clearance at the parking space, the adjacent access aisle and along the vehicular route to the space and vehicular exit. Install a sign with the international symbol of accessibility and "van accessible" and mount it high enough so it is not hidden by the vehicle parked in the space. Locate parking space and access aisle so that they are relatively level (1:50 maximum slope in all directions is recommended if readily achievable) Provide an access aisle that is at least 8 feet wide next to the van parking space to permit a person using a wheelchair or scooter to exit or enter a van with a side-mounted lift.
  * Provide an accessible route to the accessible entrance to the building - a marked crosswalk may be needed if route crosses vehicular traffic.
  * Accessible parking spaces for cars must have an access aisle that is at least five-feet wide. The other features are the same as for vans, except that the sign designating the parking space only has an international symbol of accessibility, and there is no requirement for a minimum vertical height.
  * The number of accessible parking spaces that should be provided is based on the total number of parking spaces that you provide. (See chart below).
  * If you provide only one accessible parking space, it must be a van accessible space. In facilities where more than one accessible parking space is required, one of eight accessible parking spaces must be van accessible. Where parking is provided in several locations near building entrances, the accessible parking should also be dispersed, if doing so is readily achievable. Since van accessible parking spaces are provided in limited numbers, it is often not possible to disperse the van accessible parking spaces.
  * Locate accessible parking spaces as close as possible to the accessible entrances and on an accessible route to the building. Locate parking space and access aisle on relatively level ground (1:50 maximum slope in all directions).

Accessible handicapped parking must be located on the shortest accessible route to the accessible entrance. Provide a marked access aisle if person is required to cross vehicular traffic.
Minimum Number

One in every eight, but not less than one, parking space must be van accessible with a designated handicap sign and an access aisle 96" wide.
Total Spaces in Lot    Accessible Spaces Required
1-25    1 van
26-50    1 std. + 1 van
51 - 75    2 std. + 1 van
76-100    3 std. + 1 van
101-150    4 std. + 1 van
151-200    5 std. + 1 van
201-300    6 std. + 1 van
301-400    7 std. + 1 van
401-500    7 std. + 2 van
501-1000    2% of total spaces*
1001 and over    20 + (1 per 100 over 1000)*

Standard Accessible (std.) parking space is 8 foot minimum + 5 foot access aisle.

* One in every 8 accessible parking spaces must be a van accessible space with an 8 foot wide access aisle.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These are the minimum requirements of the ADA. State and local government have the authority to adopt and enforce their own building codes, but must meet or exceed those contained in the ADA. Be sure to check your state and local regulations before planning or beginning your project.

Additional (TAS) Texas Handicap Parking Regulations

Location. Accessible parking spaces serving a particular building shall be located on the shortest accessible route of travel from adjacent parking to an accessible entrance. In parking facilities that do not serve a particular building, accessible parking shall be located on the shortest accessible route of travel to an accessible pedestrian entrance of the parking facility. In buildings with multiple accessible entrances with adjacent parking, accessible parking spaces shall be dispersed and located closest to the accessible entrances. Accessible routes shall be located so that users are not required to wheel or walk behind parked vehicles (except the one they operate or in which they are a passenger) or in traffic lanes.

Parallel parking is discouraged unless it can be situated so that persons entering and exiting vehicles will be out of the flow of traffic. If parallel parking is located on a street, driveway, or any other area where vehicular traffic exists, the space shall be designed and located so that users are out of the flow of traffic.

Parking Spaces. Accessible parking spaces shall be at least 96 in wide. Parking access aisles shall be part of an accessible route to the building or facility entrance. Two accessible parking spaces may share a common access aisle. Parked vehicle overhangs shall not reduce the clear width of an accessible route. Parking spaces and access aisles shall be level with surface slopes not exceeding 1:50 (2%) in all directions.

Signage. Each accessible parking space shall be designated as reserved by a vertically mounted or suspended sign showing the symbol of accessibility. Van accessible spaces shall have an additional sign "Van-Accessible" mounted below the symbol of accessibility. Characters and symbols on such signs shall be located 60" minimum above the ground, floor, or paving surface so they cannot be obscured by a vehicle parked in the space.

Vertical Clearance. Provide minimum vertical clearance of 114 in. at accessible passenger loading zones and along at least one vehicle access route to such areas from site entrance(s) and exit(s). At parking spaces provide minimum vertical clearance of 98 in. at the parking space and along at least one vehicle access route to such spaces from site entrance(s) and exit(s).

Passenger Loading Zones. Passenger loading zones shall provide an access aisle at least 60 in. wide and 20 ft. long adjacent and parallel to the vehicle pull-up space. If there are curbs between the access aisle and the vehicle pull-up space, then a curb ramp shall be provided. Vehicle standing spaces and access aisles shall be level with surface slopes not exceeding 1:50 (2%) in all directions.

Here's another:

Nothing herein contained shall prohibit the provision of a greater number of spaces than is
herein provided for.
3. Each designated parking space provided under Section 2 shall be:
(i) a minimum width of 3.9 metres (12.8 feet) and a length of 6 metres (19.5 feet) ;
10/02
(ii) marked with appropriate white pavement markings (lines and handicapped symbol)
when located on a hard surface;
(iii) level;
(iv) placed in a location approved by the Parking and Traffic Manager for the City of
Niagara Falls so as to minimize the distance to building entrances and exits and so
as to permit easy access to such entrances and exits; and,
(v) kept clear of snow, ice and other impediments to the use of the space by disabled
persons.
4. (a) Designated parking space or spaces shall be identified by a minimum of one
authorized sign for each parking space, as prescribed in Regulation 166/90 under the
Highway Traffic Act as amended from time to time.
(b) A sign shall have the dimensions as described and illustrated in the figure as shown
in Schedule "B" attached hereto.
(c) The sign shall be located at the front and in the centre of the parking stall on a
support that has been permanently installed in the ground. The sign shall be mounted
at a height of 1.0 metre to 1.5 metres from the ground to the bottom of the sign.
5. The owner or the operator of the public parking facility shall be responsible for the provision,
procurement, installation and maintenance of the signs referred to in Section 4.
6. No fee shall be charged for the use of a designated parking space in excess of that fee charges
to other members of the general public in respect of non-designated parking spaces.
7. No person shall park a motor vehicle in a designated parking space unless a valid permit is
displayed in that vehicle as prescribed in this by-law.

I highlited & bolded #7 for you...

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If this is in regards to the thread I think it is, that whole thing was full of stupid and I got a headache trying to read OP's message...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, the whole thing was based on the morality & common courtesy of people towards people, that I see a definite lack thereof in today's generation and surprisingly here on ARFCOM.  Between this and all the Wal-Mart greeter threads, it just shows that a majority here are on a "superior trip" over others & that their common courtesy's & values have diminished.  I have seen almost definite proof that most here might "cheer on" a thug beating up an old man over his social security check, simply because the "old man would die soon & didn't need the money anyways"...  Well a little extreme, but that is an "EXCUSE" I would more than likely hear on this site anyways.

So, I was just answering the guys request.

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The regulations you posted only cover handicapped parking.  There are no federal regulations that cover "expectant mother parking" or "employ of the month parking" spots etc.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The regulations you posted only cover handicapped parking.  There are no federal regulations that cover "expectant mother parking" or "employ of the month parking" spots etc.

Well, after I get back to work tomorrow, I can pull the link up that stated that a pregnancy is considered a temporary disability, due to some pregnancies resulting in minor cases of disability in terms of walking...    And can be enforced by temporary handicap permits.  But since a pregnancy is not as common as more serious disabilities, that most, if not all, states have posted "expectant mother" parking for just such instances.  That is common knowledge to most adults & if you feel the need for scientific fact, look it up for yourselves.

What sickens me is the fact that most of you have lost value, concern & common courtesy towards others.  I can't wait till most if not all of you get older & have problems not controlled by yourselves so that some young powertripping punk ass, gives you shit about...  Then who will be whining?

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well, the whole thing was based on the morality & common courtesy of people towards people, that I see a definite lack thereof in today's generation and surprisingly here on ARFCOM.

So, people were nicer to one another before the government mandated their own brand of kindness with bullshit like the ADA?

Hell, I agree.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, the whole thing was based on the morality & common courtesy of people towards people, that I see a definite lack thereof in today's generation and surprisingly here on ARFCOM.

So, people were nicer to one another before the government mandated their own brand of kindness with bullshit like the ADA?

Hell, I agree.

Yep, people were kind and helpful & used ethics barely known today....  When I was a kid (30+ years ago) a boyscout would help a lady across the street or open a door for someone else...  Today they would, scream threats of ass kickings if they don't buy their goddamn popcorn & they won't get their fucking prise for selling the most, Then their parents would go out & do all the work so that the spoiled bastard would get what he wanted instead of what he deserved.

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, after I get back to work tomorrow, I can pull the link up that stated that a pregnancy is considered a temporary disability, due to some pregnancies resulting in minor cases of disability in terms of walking...    And can be enforced by temporary handicap permits.  But since a pregnancy is not as common as more serious disabilities, that most, if not all, states have posted "expectant mother" parking for just such instances.  That is common knowledge to most adults & if you feel the need for scientific fact, look it up for yourselves.

What sickens me is the fact that most of you have lost value, concern & common courtesy towards others.  I can't wait till most if not all of you get older & have problems not controlled by yourselves so that some young powertripping punk ass, gives you shit about...  Then who will be whining?

Pathfinder

Many people on here claim to have some deep insight into what other posters supposedly "meant" by what was typed. I never defended the guy taking the spot or the person who keyed the vehicle. I simply have zero tolerance for people who introduce emotion and conjecture into an argument and try and pass it off as fact. Surprisingly, that is the main complaint many on here have about liberals and gun control laws.

My comment was in regards to people, such as yourself, who believe parking in a made up reserved spot is illegal. It isn't. The ADA rules you posted apply to people with handicapped license plates or placards. If a pregnant woman goes to the doctor and gets a placard she is welcome to use those spots. However, if the store takes it upon themselves to create their own reserved spots for pregnant women they don't fall under the same legal definition as an ADA mandated spot. The store can ask you to leave the spot, but they can't have the police write you a ticket as is the case with a handicapped spot.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#8]
That entire thread was a giant, steaming pile of feces.  The stupidity was out of control.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
For the record, i feel both parties involved in the parking incident are assholes and deserve their own special brand of torment. does that make you happy? you seem to have inferred i was somehow in favor of stealing spots, when in fact i was simply pointing out that while parking in that spot is a dick move, it doesn't break any laws.

ETA -

Its two days and counting now that I've gotten into a major pissing match on this site. Which is surprising considering how long i've flown under the radar

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top