Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 12:45:29 PM EDT
Apparently, his neighbors house was broken into over the weekend.  Pops now feels that his alarm, which he never arms anyway, may not be adequate protection.  So he asked me if I would help pick out a gun for home defense.

Of course I told him I would.

Looks like I have him steered into getting a Springfield Loaded.  Should be like going home for him.  He has told me before that he qualified 'Expert' with the .45 back when he was in the Corps ('67 to '69).

Made me feel good that the old man came to me for advise on such an important issue for him.

Oh, and until he gets his .45, I gave him one of mine to use just to tide him over.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
How about an XD-45 instead?  Less to fuss with when he needs it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
No way! Go with the 1911. Then build him an A-1 for bday gift.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
get him one of those s.a 1911 gi models probably close to what he used to shoot. He is already familair with how it works thats what i would do.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

get him one of those s.a 1911 gi models probably close to what he used to shoot. He is already familair with how it works thats what i would do.

He wants an adjustable rear sight.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sounds like his Pop won't be a very active trainer. It's probably for the best that he uses the pistol he's recieved training on, even if it was over 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like his Pop won't be a very active trainer. It's probably for the best that he uses the pistol he's recieved training on, even if it was over 40 years ago.

Yeah, I would honestly be surprised if he put more than a couple boxes a year through it.  That's why the 1911.  Although it has been a long time, he does remember how one works and was still a decent shot with mine when we've gone to the range.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top