Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2010 7:10:08 PM EDT
I get this email a while ago that says I owe ten and change on an account that was closed almost a month prior to the in-house finance charge being made.  I hate to get nasty with them and tell them to FOAD but I'm not sure about the legalities of them adding a finance charge on an account almost a month after it has been closed.  The backstory is they sent a notification of a rate increase that was to take effect 12/29/09 and I called them on 12/28/09 to tell them that I not only would be "opting out" but would be closing my account.  I then verified the balance through CS rep and made a payment before hanging up.

I would love to get this in front of a civil judge in this county but don't feel like the hassle of getting it there.  So what are my options?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
"No longer at this address."

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell them exactly what you told us.  Charging a closed account is BS.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Tell them exactly what you told us.  Charging a closed account is BS.

This is plan A.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I get this email a while ago that says I owe ten and change on an account that was closed almost a month prior to the in-house finance charge being made.  I hate to get nasty with them and tell them to FOAD but I'm not sure about the legalities of them adding a finance charge on an account almost a month after it has been closed.  The backstory is they sent a notification of a rate increase that was to take effect 12/29/09 and I called them on 12/28/09 to tell them that I not only would be "opting out" but would be closing my account.  I then verified the balance through CS rep and made a payment before hanging up.

I would love to get this in front of a civil judge in this county but don't feel like the hassle of getting it there.  So what are my options?

Terminating a contract only relieves you of future obligations under the contract. If you have a current obligation under the contract, you are required to fulfill it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Terminating a contract only relieves you of future obligations under the contract. If you have a current obligation under the contract, you are required to fulfill it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"No longer at this address."

Good idea but it was emailed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire balance was paid and the account was (supposed to be) closed thus terminating any future charging from any party.

ETA This was a Citibank so flame away.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Bank of America?

My squabble was over 16 bucks. I wrote them a check and enclosed a note outlining my position and stating for the rest of my life I would wrap up a brick and return it with any future postage paid envelopes they sent in their come on correspondence.

About a month later a "Customer Service Representative" contacted me and told me the charge had been removed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Odds are they aren't going to fight you over ten bucks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bank of America?

My squabble was over 16 bucks. I wrote them a check and enclosed a note outlining my position and stating for the rest of my life I would wrap up a brick and return it with any future postage paid envelopes they sent in their come on correspondence.

About a month later a "Customer Service Representative" contacted me and told me the charge had been removed.

Hmm thats an awesome Idea!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If your payment didn't clear on 12/28 - then they probably added a finance charge to it.  The Terms and Conditions on the account will state how long different payments may take to be posted.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If your payment didn't clear on 12/28 - then they probably added a finance charge to it.  The Terms and Conditions on the account will state how long different payments may take to be posted.

This just got me the answer I needed.  There was a lapse of several days between the cycle end and the pay-off.  The charge didn't get tacked on unitl the end of the billing cycle.  I'll suck it up and pay it but I'm not happy about them not figuring that in when I closed my account.  Thats why I asked them what my account balance was before closing it.  I guess they didn't put two and two together when I asked.  I'm still going to mail them bricks from now on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
How would one go about mailing them bricks?  Rubber bands or duct taping the envelope to the brick?

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm just curious the best way to implement it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How would one go about mailing them bricks?  Rubber bands or duct taping the envelope to the brick?

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm just curious the best way to implement it.

I would think lots of USPS approved packing tape... just to be safe.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This just got me the answer I needed.  There was a lapse of several days between the cycle end and the pay-off.  The charge didn't get tacked on unitl the end of the billing cycle.  I'll suck it up and pay it but I'm not happy about them not figuring that in when I closed my account.  Thats why I asked them what my account balance was before closing it.  I guess they didn't put two and two together when I asked.  I'm still going to mail them bricks from now on.

Don't puss out.  Send them an email saying it is their mistake.  Odds are they won't go after you for 10 bucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top