Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/14/2002 7:08:15 PM EDT
I shot another 225 pound feral hog today.  100-125 yard shot through dense (but small diameter) timber.

I was using South African surplus and the impact knocked her off her feet.  When I fired my shot a steady stream of her comrades began running from my left to my right at the smae distance.  

I unloaded the Bushie into the passing crowd.  20+ rounds as fast as I could re-aim.  The injured hog stood up after the mag was emptied and took off.  

My wife was with me and she helped me blood trail the injured sow for almost 200 yards.  I figured my shot had hit her in the throat, based upon the amount of blood on the trail.

After finding the sow in some thick brush, I gave chase and finished her with my Sigma .40.

Autopsy shows the South African bullet entered her right shoulder and shattered the upper portion of same.  Apparently the bullet then turned toward her tail and did masive amount of tissue damage and internal bleeding.  It did NOT enter her chest cavity.  

I will do more investigating tomorrow, but it appears the round turned 90+ degrees inside of 3 inches of meat/fat/bone and exited without disintegrating.

Anyone else have this happen?  90 degree turn, break a bone, and exit the same side as the impact?

She was a beautiful pig, fat, clean and no piglets.  

After stalking, shooting, trailing and dragging her, there was not enough light left to see if there were other hogs injured by my suppressive fire.

TheRedGoat

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I unloaded the Bushie into the passing crowd. 20+ rounds as fast as I could re-aim.

...  there was not enough light left to see if there were other hogs injured by my suppressive fire.
View Quote

Were you hunting or having fun?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I unloaded the Bushie into the passing crowd. 20+ rounds as fast as I could re-aim.

...  there was not enough light left to see if there were other hogs injured by my suppressive fire.
View Quote

View Quote

If you only knew our resident RedGoat, you would know that he was hunting. Hell, I'm surprised he did not bump fire towards the hog with a beta mag. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

[red]MAKIN' BACON![/red]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Guess I don't understand hog hunting then.

I just don't think that ethical hunting is injuring animals that you can't track, kill and use.

I can't stay up for the impending flame (prolly my first around here, so I'm long overdue for it).  But, if anyone wants to explain to me "hog hunting," I'm all ears.  I'll catch the thread tomorrow morning.

Night all.

PS  I've read the TheRedGoat's posts before and have never had a problem with him.  I just don't think this equates with my idea of a responsible hunter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Emptying 20+ rounds into a "passing crowd" is not hunting. 20+ rounds of "aimed fire" and you werent prepared to check out what you hit? I guess you will be going back out in the morning to look for the other animals?

Unless I am missing something here, this is one sick story. Supressive fire and hunting do not go together.

Don't get me wrong I have deer hunted with my AR, I took 2 deer in 45 minutes with it. That was a great day. However I resisted the urge to lay down supressive fire on the rest of the herd in the area.

I have tracked deer in the dark for hours after an evening hunt, I think hogs would deserve the same respect.

-elliott

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe he considers hogs to be varmints?   After all, when hunting prairie dogs, [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/Miscgopher.gif[/img]you don't usually eat them, and a good day is when you bring 500 rounds, never miss, and run out of ammo.  [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/moreek.gif[/img]

I do know that in some southern states, at least, there are some places where hogs are so out of control that there's no game limit on them, at least part of the time, and you're welcome to kill all you want.  They're pests and you're doing a good deed if you go postal on a whole herd of them. [uzi]  

CJ

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Before some of you start flaming away, let it be known that I'm not some PETA freak, but randomly emptying a mag into a pack of wild animals is pretty assholish any way you look at it.  It's part of why hunting & gun ownership gets a bad name.  It's a piss poor hunting method, your one kill nonwithstanding.  Also, despite the fact that feral hogs are pretty much vermin, you DID NOTHING TO HELP THE SITUATION.  Your fire was uncontrolled & erratic.  You didn't really help cull the damn things.  C'mon man. Aiming & firing at one of the freaking things is cool.  Randomly opening up on a pack of animals, most likely hitting none, maybe causing unnecessary damage to others, is just plain retarded.  Look for a REAL hunting guide in your area and TRY to learn from him...
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#9]
"Suppressive Fire" against feral hogs means, injure, wound, disable or kill as many as you possibly can.  

They are a nuisance creature, not a native species, that destroys property, lifestock and native habitat.  As much as I enjoy hunting them, I aim to reduce the population.  Once you own property, raise livestock, and experience the destruction of a herd of feral hogs, then you will understand.  

Keep in mind, 7-8 hogs (that I saw) weighed 200lbs each.  That is almost 1 ton (1400-1600lbs) of destruction to native habitat roaming the woods.

Of this number, they represent only a small slice of the total population.

As for going back tomorrow, I probably will.  However, with Texas nighttime temps in the mid 60's the meat will be spoiled.

To put the idea of 'suppressive fire' into perspective.  Imagine the hogs as 175-350 pound rats that are infesting your property.  Hunt them day/night with/without dogs any firearm, bow/crossbow knife/rope/trap.  The State of Texas wants them killed.  End of story.

LT, I considered bump firing, but at 120 yards, I was certain to miss.  

I asked MrsRedGoat how she felt when a 200lb boar headed her direction.  (keep in mind she had my Sigma .40 in hand) she said "If I had Mojo's MP5 then I would have felt just fiiiine!"

Gotta love it!

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

So much fun I am still grinning!  Hog in the refrigerator overnight, making sausage and bacon tomorrow!

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
[^]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Unless I am missing something here, this is one sick story. Supressive fire and hunting do not go together.

However I resisted the urge to lay down supressive fire on the rest of the herd in the area.

-elliott

View Quote

Exactly.  Deer are a protected game species.  FWIW, I deer hunt, but I feel like I am killing Bambi.  

I attacked the hogs with malice, because they are NOT a game species, they are a feral varmint that is destroying the habitat of native species.  The reason you did NOT attack the whole herd of deer is the reason I DID attack the whole herd of hogs.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
This PC crap is spoken by dumbass cityslickers who haven't the slightest d@mn idea what a pack of feral hogs will do to your land.  The fact they're good eatin' is just one of God's gifts.  Hog eradication is a pastime hereabouts.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#14]

... there was not enough light left to see if there were other hogs injured by my suppressive fire.

View Quote

View Quote

Dude!!! You rock!!

TheRedGoat is just practicing for the herds of blue helmeted thugs that will be roaming the prairies some day.

Red, I have to come out to visit someday. Maybe we can set up some pits with pungee sticks, and practice ambushes?!?!
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, to me that clarifies the situation. Texas says they're pests, vermin, and nuisance,  kill them any way you can.   Just like rats, but MUCH tastier!  Fine with me.  Just make sure there's nothing in your line of fire that you don't want to shoot, that's all.

I only have one question now, TheRedGoat:  What were you THINKING by only bringing one 20 or 30 round magazine???[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/xeye.gif[/img]

Maybe five 30's would have been about right in my book.   With a reasonable 'scope on your rifle, you'd have gotten in some GREAT rapid fire sniper practice!

CJ
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I asked MrsRedGoat how she felt when a 200lb boar headed her direction.  (keep in mind she had my Sigma .40 in hand) she said "If I had Mojo's MP5 then I would have felt just fiiiine!"

Gotta love it!

TheRedGoat
View Quote

Well, whenever you need "back up squad" I am sure mojo and I can provide that service. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe he considers hogs to be varmints?  
I do know that in some southern states, at least, there are some places where hogs are so out of control that there's no game limit on them, at least part of the time, and you're welcome to kill all you want.  They're pests and you're doing a good deed if you go postal on a whole herd of them. [uzi]  

CJ

View Quote

Bingo CJ!  No limits on feral hogs in Texas.  Kill one, kill a thousand.  No tags, day/night, etc.  They are vermin.  

No limits on caliber, magazine capacity, full auto, etc.  Vermin, 'nuf-sed.

TheRedGoat

PS.  Going to have vermin sausage for breakfast too!

PPS.  For those that are whining about not looking for the ones that might have been wounded...Have you ever put out rat poison?  Did you go looking for any that might have only received a partial dose to put them out of their misery?  

PPPS.  And the most newbie question of all, why did I not try to track the other possibly wounded hogs?  I would love to meet the man/woman that is brave enough to go into the night after a wounded, angry, Texas boar armed with a Sigma .40 and flashlight.  More power to you, but I can think of better ways to get hurt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

... there was not enough light left to see if there were other hogs injured by my suppressive fire.

View Quote

View Quote

Dude!!! You rock!!

TheRedGoat is just practicing for the herds of blue helmeted thugs that will be roaming the prairies some day.

Red, I have to come out to visit someday. Maybe we can set up some pits with pungee sticks, and practice ambushes?!?!
View Quote

We setup pits with spits and rotisseries and lots of tasty Mesquite wood.  Shoot 'em all, boars, sows and my favorite suckling piglets.  Mmmm...roasty goodness.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Even vermin like feral hogs should not be mindlessly wounded and made to suffer a long painfull death.

Kill all the feral hogs you want. But do it humanely.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta love it!

TheRedGoat
View Quote

Well, whenever you need "back up squad" I am sure mojo and I can provide that service. [;)]
View Quote

You know what?  I was thinking today, "If I had Mojo on the right flank, Arock covering the open pasture and a couple others from AR15, we would ALL be eatin' good tomorrow!"

A good fire team would have murdered the son of a guns!

I am going to talk to the landowner and see what I can work out.   It has been so very, very "hit and miss" hog hunting lately, I would hate to bring you guys down, walk your butts off (850 acres), and not see anything.  These hogs tonight were unexpected.  I had hunted there already this week (hunted my butt off) and saw nothing.  

If I can find a place that is consistently producing good hunting, I will let you guys know.

Arock, we need to exchange spit recipes.  I have a spit, but have never used it.  

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Even vermin like feral hogs should not be mindlessly wounded and made to suffer a long painfull death.

View Quote

Kill rats and hogs anyway you want.  All day.  All night.  Let 'em bleed.  If you got hunting problems maybe you shouldn't eat meat.  If you had to put up with the disease and destruction of grazing you'd feel differently.  Got a case of separation from the land you live off of.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
RedGoat...Fire Team Alpha is ready when you are.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#23]
BTW I'm the same way with 'yotes.  Lost three calves to them this winter.  Two of them were killed for the hell of it.  Chewed up, guts hanging out and left to die.  I don't have any misplaced mercy on coyotes either.  Shoot on sight and hope they die slow.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right, and the next time a calf is killed by a pack of hogs I am certain the hogs will be humane.  The calf won't suffer, I'm sure.  

The next time local wildlife is displaced because hogs have destroyed their native habitat, I am certain they will not suffer inhumanely.

These are 200lb RATS!  Do you worry about the suffering of a rat in a trap?

TheRedGoat

PS.  What I hope you understand is...I wanted to ruin the day of as many hogs as I possibly could.  Injured in the wild means no reproduction, no offspring, population is reduced.

I would have LOVED it if these hogs had been nice enough to stand in a nice row, smoking a last cigarette as I executed each in kind.  As it turned out in the real world, I had 20+ rounds, and 20+ chances for a snap shot at a stream of hogs in heavy timber.  Aimpoint all the way!

Arock, you Da'Man!

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm "city folk" and I LOVE the idea. Claymores and my M-16 would be a riot!!![devil]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"Suppressive Fire" against feral hogs means, injure, wound, disable or kill as many as you possibly can.  

They are a nuisance creature, not a native species, that destroys property, lifestock and native habitat.  As much as I enjoy hunting them, I aim to reduce the population.  Once you own property, raise livestock, and experience the destruction of a herd of feral hogs, then you will understand.  

Keep in mind, 7-8 hogs (that I saw) weighed 200lbs each.  That is almost 1 ton (1400-1600lbs) of destruction to native habitat roaming the woods.

Of this number, they represent only a small slice of the total population.

As for going back tomorrow, I probably will.  However, with Texas nighttime temps in the mid 60's the meat will be spoiled.

To put the idea of 'suppressive fire' into perspective.  Imagine the hogs as 175-350 pound rats that are infesting your property.  Hunt them day/night with/without dogs any firearm, bow/crossbow knife/rope/trap.  The State of Texas wants them killed.  End of story.

Gotta love it!

TheRedGoat
View Quote

Well said, Those pigs are as bad if not worse than prarie dogs when the get a foothold.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#28]
It's all good, some's just better than others.  Makes me hungry.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Thanks for the explanation.  Havn't lived in Texas since I was little more than a pup and didn't know they were vermin.  Now I just wish I could get in on the hunt[:)]
View Quote

NP on the explanation.  Arock said it best. "Shoot on sight, and hope they die slow."

The fact that they are tasty is just one of God's gifts!

TheRedGoat

Arock, I gotta get the thumbs up from the landowner, and if you know East Texas Farmboys very well, you probably know they are not fond of the Black Rifle.  He and his father both know I hunt with the AR, I am not certain how he would feel with strangers and black rifle prowling through his property.  His main concern, I am sure is his livestock getting hit by stray rounds.  

My main concern is inviting everyone down for a hunt, and not seeing a thing.  

We watched a pack of hogs in the woods about 3 weeks ago.  They move slower than deer, they are more alert than a terrier on crack, and have a better sense of smell than a bloodhound.  

Logistics are the problem with an AR15.com Hog Hunt.  10-12 guys tromping in the woods are not going to see anything, much less a wild hog.

TheRedGoat

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm "city folk" and I LOVE the idea. Claymores and my M-16 would be a riot!!![devil]
View Quote

Now THAT is the SPIRIT!!!

When you coming to Texas?

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#31]
RedGoat...we could setup an ambush in the brush.  How's the forage around your place?  If it hasn't greened-up we could bait a hole for 'em.  I'm in agreement with the cattle and stray rounds thing.  If we did it we'd have to groom the kill zone to restrict the range of fire.  I'm good any evening after this weekend.  If we can do it safely it might be a plan.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
RedGoat...we could setup an ambush in the brush.  How's the forage around your place?  If it hasn't greened-up we could bait a hole for 'em.  I'm in agreement with the cattle and stray rounds thing.  If we did it we'd have to groom the kill zone to restrict the range of fire.  I'm good any evening after this weekend.  If we can do it safely it might be a plan.
View Quote

Right now, because it has been so dry, the hogs are in deep cover.  Only a few bogs and holes that they are rooting.  Bating is a good idea,  bait a couple of holes for a week or two, let the pigs get accustomed to it, then invite the guys down for the slaughter.

Let me work things out on my end and I will get back to you.  

TheRedGoat

PS.  It is bedtime.  Catch you guys later!  
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Right, and the next time a calf is killed by a pack of hogs I am certain the hogs will be humane.  The calf won't suffer, I'm sure.  

The next time local wildlife is displaced because hogs have destroyed their native habitat, I am certain they will not suffer inhumanely.

These are 200lb RATS!  Do you worry about the suffering of a rat in a trap?

TheRedGoat

PS.  What I hope you understand is...I wanted to ruin the day of as many hogs as I possibly could.  Injured in the wild means no reproduction, no offspring, population is reduced.

I would have LOVED it if these hogs had been nice enough to stand in a nice row, smoking a last cigarette as I executed each in kind.  As it turned out in the real world, I had 20+ rounds, and 20+ chances for a snap shot at a stream of hogs in heavy timber.  Aimpoint all the way!

Arock, you Da'Man!

TheRedGoat
View Quote

RedGoat, if in TX feral hogs are as destructive, disease-ridden and prolific as squirrels (&%$## tree rats!!!!) are up here in suburban MA, then you have my blessing. Don't waste a moment's thought over them. There is a very good reason they are called "vermin". Nuke 'em all! %&$$#*@@#%&&!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#34]
RedGoat...hunting hogs in the river bottoms around here is exciting.  They're built so d@mn solid few hogs fall on the first shot.  Then you gotta go in the brush after them.  A wounded hog will go into the thickest brush they can.  Scrub brush, thorn bush, vines and you can't see five feet.  So you gotta get your pistol, get down on your hands and knees and crawl in their tunnels.  When you get close you can hear them before you see 'em.  You'll get a fast shot and hope they run the other way if you miss.  When you get one you have to drag it out fast before the fleas and ticks start jumping off the carcass onto you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Well . . . I still wouldn't randomly empty magazines at herds of these things no matter what I thought of 'em.  I also don't think I'd use a .223 on an animal that big, you are firmly in .308 territory.  Even if it is vermin I'd just want to kill it, not torture the MF while doing so.  But whatever, it must be nice to live in TX because you'd never have to visit the meat counter at the supermarket.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 2:59:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This PC crap is spoken by dumbass cityslickers who haven't the slightest d@mn idea what a pack of feral hogs will do to your land.  The fact they're good eatin' is just one of God's gifts.  Hog eradication is a pastime hereabouts.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. Listening to them complain actually brought a smile to my face because I knew they had no idea what they were talking about. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well . . . I still wouldn't randomly empty magazines at herds of these things no matter what I thought of 'em.  I also don't think I'd use a .223 on an animal that big, you are firmly in .308 territory.  Even if it is vermin I'd just want to kill it, not torture the MF while doing so.  But whatever, it must be nice to live in TX because you'd never have to visit the meat counter at the supermarket.
View Quote

As for the .308 vs. .223 question.  No doubt a larger caliber would have yielded more destruction per shot.  However, I enjoy fishing for large catfish with ultra-light tackle.  

I have carried my .270 Savage through the woods, and used it with success in the Fall.  However, weight, speed of reloading amd firepower put the .223 Carbine back in my hands for my brush gun.  
I have to decline some shots because of medium to heavy cover, and I run the chance of losing hogs (like the one last night that ran 200+yards) because of the lighter round.  I actually told my wife, I wish my Bushie was .308

Yes, it is very nice to live in Texas.  Feral hogs are a blast.   They reproduce like rabbits.  A single sow will become a grandmother within one year.  The hogs can breed at 4 months of age.  

Start with one healthy female piglet.  Within a year's span there will be 8+ choats, each female of this group (50%) will be female which produce 8+.

1*4*8 = 32 minimum offspring in a single year.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:48:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
RedGoat...Fire Team Alpha is ready when you are.
View Quote

Fire Team Bravo standing by and awaiting orders!!

DK [:D]

I could get Rat30, csviper_98, and a few others to come out and help take some of the pests off your hands!! We will bring some beer too!! [beer]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#39]
[b]TheRedGoat[/b] - are you going to come to lunch on Saturday or Sunday at the Big Town Gun Show?

Inquiring Huns want to know!

Eric The(Don'tFeedTheCityslickers!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
[b]TheRedGoat[/b] - are you going to come to lunch on Saturday or Sunday at the Big Town Gun Show?

Inquiring Huns want to know!

Eric The(Don'tFeedTheCityslickers!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

With bells on!

If we make it Sunday more folks could attend.  

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:31:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You did good.  [sniper]

Edited:  A thought--why do those who know the least, here and elsewhere, always piss and moan the most/loudest?  
View Quote

Thank you!  

Not sure why those who know so little complain so much.  No offense to those that disagreed, we are all entitled to our opinions.  

Once you have experienced feral hogs up close, seen the damage they do your opinion will change.  Vermin that are tasty.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:47:52 AM EDT
[#43]
RedGoat,

i do not have wild hogs, but there seems to be a feral cat problem in my area, i used to just shoot the bastards, but now some of the survivors seem to have taught their offspring to be more cunning, so i just upped my tactics, the cats are sneaky, sly, cunning & killers..., so i eqiped myself wyth a single shot .22 Henry rifle, night scoped, laser sighted..., the works..!!, stalking feral cats on their terms is very good training for learning stealth, i limit myself to the SS rifle because i am a firm beliver in "one shot, one kill !!!!!!!

BTW, i also use CB rounds for the low noise factor & limit my shots to 25 yds!!!!!!! it is more fun than just plain ol stand up shootin, i try not to kill'm all, i let a few go for "seed".........!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2002 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Redgoat,
Sorry to see you catch so much shit for a good day of hunting. I used to live on 400 acres and had lots of hogs and lots of coyotes. had 50+ head of cattle and the luxury of having a dad who gave the ok to kill what I could in the way of rabbit, hogs and coyotes. The local farmers in the area would pay me and my friends to kill their rabbits, coyotes and hogs. Plus I got to keep the meat if I so desired. Plus I would have no problem opening up on 20+ hogs, for I have been chased by a couple of pissed off hogs and had to run up a tree and finish them off with my handgun because I dropped my rifle.

So when are we getting together for this hunt?[heavy]
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:06:24 AM EDT
[#45]
RedGoat,

Sounds like a good time and you are right. Pokin' around in the dark with a .40 and a flashlight after a wounded hog aren't indications of a well-developed self-preservation instinct. Wish I was closer to TX, I could probably muster a platoon for ya'

Happy huntin'
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I think I'd use a 30 caliber rifle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 5:24:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Red Goat,
 I would have done the same. Feral hogs have no season and are a nusiance and destroy crops, along with eating everything in site depriving native wildlife of food.

Don't listen to the pc crowd, keep killing them!
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 6:46:13 AM EDT
[#48]
That line about hogs being more alert than a terrier on crack had me on the floor with cold Pepsi blowing out my nose.  It took a couple of minutes to clean the keyboard, monitor, and damn near everything else in the room of Pepsi spray!

Thanks, I needed that!

Man, I wish I could join you on the hawg hunt. But it won't happen, and besides, I'm not sure that my first honest-to-god hunt should be on hogs anyway.   Maybe something a little less alert and less dangerous?    Deer, even.

Yes, I've never hunted.   But I want to try it.
Certainly I don't have any problems with people doing it.  Life is too short not to take some adventures.

Hey...here's a stupid thought:  (A type I'm good at!)  Could you set up some of those Tannerite explosives and use them to stampede/herd the pigs toward the KZ? Have someone snipe off a bottle when the pigs are close and on the right side of it so that when they run (and they will!) they run away from it, toward you guys?

Seems like it would add in an extra fun factor to the proceedings.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
However, I enjoy fishing for large catfish with ultra-light tackle.
View Quote
Try dynamite some time!
Start with one healthy female piglet.  Within a year's span there will be 8+ choats, each female of this group (50%) will be female which produce 8+.
View Quote
It would be darn strange if each female of the group wasn't female. [:p]

I gotta move to Texas.  I haven't been hunting in 20 years. . . .
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#50]
RedGoat,

Where in TX are you at?  I've got a buddy who's parents have some land.. we've hunted the hogs, but every time I go out there, we never see any!  

I'd always taken my .30-30, but using an AR would sure be fun!  I am going to get a Garand soon... I figured the .30-06 should knock a hog on it's ass with a decent shot, whatcha think?  

If Fire Team Alpha needs another man, let me know!  

M@
(in Austin)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top