Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2010 1:36:59 PM EDT
ok so here is the drill. 1 i have never built a rifle. 2 I'm going to build one. 3 i want to build the lightest 16 inch barreled rifle i can.

its for my gf that has had bi lateral shoulder replacements. she loves my m4 but has a hard time with thee weight. so i told her i would build her one and that some one on here would know where the lightest parts are and how to build. i know there is a tutorial on here. i need help with finding the lightest possible parts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I built a 16" pencil barrel fro Del-Ton that is extremely light. I put a rear BUIS and a inexpensive red dot on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Just off the top of my head: Cav Arms lower (if you can find one), otherwise stnadard lower with an MOE, flattop upper with MBUS, and a LW/pencil barrel with a standard FH. You might look into a 14.5 with perm FH, too.

Just an honest question: Will the increased recoil of a lighter carbine affect her?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Light weight pencil barrel upper with a Cav Arms lower receiver. You could go the extra mile and get one of the bushmaster carbon 15 pistol uppers and slap a stock on it, you would have to go the NFA way for that though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Lightweight = more recoil. You may be causing one problem be eliminating another (heavy AR). The only other option to a lightweigth build would be to out a heavy buffer in it, that should take some of the recoil out of it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just off the top of my head: Cav Arms lower (if you can find one), otherwise stnadard lower with an MOE, flattop upper with MBUS, and a LW/pencil barrel with a standard FH. You might look into a 14.5 with perm FH, too.

Just an honest question: Will the increased recoil of a lighter carbine affect her?

you know we discussed that. after her shooting my 308 we decided that she would be ok and that her being able to shoulder it was more of a concern. now we are not tin foilers but do believe the shit will hit the fan and she would like to have a rifle she can shoot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lightweight = more recoil. You may be causing one problem be eliminating another (heavy AR). The only other option to a lightweigth build would be to out a heavy buffer in it, that should take some of the recoil out of it.

heavy buffer was already planned
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster super-light 16" barrel.  You can save weight elsewhere as well, like a lightweight stock etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you know we discussed that. after her shooting my 308 we decided that she would be ok and that her being able to shoulder it was more of a concern. now we are not tin foilers but do believe the shit will hit the fan and she would like to have a rifle she can shoot.

OK sounds plausible, but I was just checking. Whatever you decide, sounds like it would be a good idea to keep the rifle's center of gravity towards the rear, to make it easier to hold up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#9]
another question is what tools will i NEED ? i will be biulding this in my apartment and am poor
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not just get one of the Bushmaster Carbon-15s?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

link ? my search foo sucks and im a computer dummy i know just enough to get by
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask and ye shall receive!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
another question is what tools will i NEED ? i will be biulding this in my apartment and am poor

ARs are dirt simple to put together with a parts kit.  A couple yards of masking tape, needle-nosed pliers, hammer, razor, medium flathead screwdriver, and a couple of punches.  You may need more if you're building it with a stripped upper, stripped barrel.  Not sure, never gone that route.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Common house hold tools, hammer punch set and a barrel nut wrench.  PM me I have a couple and would loan you one for shipping both ways....but you might be half way to owning your own for that anyway.

ETA upper reciever block.  I have one of those too.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks guys $$$$
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#17]
My patrol carbine has all MOE furniture, an MBuS, and bushnell holosight (lighter than eotech).  It has a polymer rail w/ surefire g3 and a pencil barrel.  Light and very handy, all my coworkers are thinking of going this route for work.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#18]
That was just links to BM's site. You can find them much much cheaper.

Gunbroker
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

ok so here is the drill. 1 i have never built a rifle. 2 I'm going to build one. 3 i want to build the lightest 16 inch barreled rifle i can.
its for my gf that has had bi lateral shoulder replacements. she loves my m4 but has a hard time with thee weight. so i told her i would build her one and that some one on here would know where the lightest parts are and how to build. i know there is a tutorial on here. i need help with finding the lightest possible parts.

If you can't find a 16" pencil barrel, ADCO can turn down any 16" barrel to a .625 diameter.

A midlength gas system will shoot a little softer.

A Young's NM carrier will add more weight to the BCG, slowing it down and easing felt recoil a little bit.

FWIW, I built a 20" AR that weighs in at 6.5 pounds loaded and has almost no noticeable recoil.  

The rifle length gas system shoots softer than a 16" gun of the same weight.  It doesn't feel like a 20" gun at all.

Ask me how.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#20]
+1 here for CavArms lower. I put a Rock River flat top 16" upper on a CavArms for my girl. She's only 110lbs and she loves it. I've been thinking about a pencil barrel for it just to take a bit more weight off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm also looking to build a very light weight AR, here's what I've decided on:

14.5" pencil barrel upper w/ pinned muzzle brake (thanks NY!)

Flat top upper with detachable carry handle (in case I wanna throw optics on it later)

Ace Ultra Lite stock (its like a recoil tube with a buttplate on the end)

Then round it out with a MOE handguard.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks guys $$$$

5.5lbs is nothing to at.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#23]
For the lightest weight, I'd build a flattop with a red dot with the parts below.

J&T lightweight barrel http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_ar550.html

EGW aluminum gas block http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=170

DPMS carbon fiber free float tube http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1743&cat=1690

Ace ultralight stock http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_77&products_id=192

And use 10 round mags (there's a lot of weight in a loaded 30 round mag).

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For the lightest weight, I'd build a flattop with a red dot with the parts below.

J&T lightweight barrel http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_ar550.html
EGW aluminum gas block http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=170
DPMS carbon fiber free float tube http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1743&cat=1690
Ace ultralight stock http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=75_77&products_id=192

And use 10 round mags (there's a lot of weight in a loaded 30 round mag).

dude you rock thanks keep it coming fellas any tips hints links pics as well. ar building for dummies lol
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#25]
bump
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]
This is AR #1

As pictured with a full magazine it weighs 6.5 pounds.

I did not intend to build a lightweight gun.  It just turned out that way when I bought the CavAid lower.
CavAid MKII lower

9MM RRA buffer

Upper is CMMG govt profile 1/7

And the previously mentioned Clark Custom free-float tube.

It shoots real soft and handles like very well.
Now if a guy cut the barrel down to 18" and re-profiled the front of the gun to a lightweight profile, you would lose a few more ounces and have the best of both worlds.  

A very light 18" gun that shoots like a rifle but handles like a carbine.  I think it would be easy to get the weight at or under six pounds of a 10 or 20 round mag is used.

There is a thread in the archives where a guy chopped the CavArms stock down.  That could be done to get the right LOP and shave even more weight.

My .02 cents adjusted for inflation

ZM

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top