Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2010 4:42:18 AM EDT
a lady just gave ne a type 99 arisaka to keep she didnt want it in the house
what the hell an i supposed to do with this thing!––keep it civil!
idont know a dann thing about these things!!!!!
maybe trade for some ammo? etc etc
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep it!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Does it have the flower on it? Ammo ain't cheap for them....BTW.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:51:42 AM EDT
[#3]
That may be one of the strongest guns ever made.

6.5?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Please trade your keyboard for one in which the "!" key does not stick, and the "shift" key does work.

And try to find one with the letters "a", "p", "n", "e", and "s" upon it which would have enabled you to finish spelling the word "Japanese"

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:56:37 AM EDT
[#5]
well i see you have a life–– nothi better to do?
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please trade your keyboard for one in which the "!" key does not stick, and the "shift" key does work.

And try to find one with the letters "a", "p", "n", "e", and "s" upon it which would have enabled you to finish spelling the word "Japanese"

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#6]
depending on when it was made, it may not even be safe to fire. The last ditch versions that I see often are pieces of shit. Does it have a wood butt plate? What shape is the bolt knob: pear or barrel shaped? Does it still have the crysanthimum on the receiver ring. Does it have "wings" on the rear site? does it have a monopod?

Lots of questions. It could be a nice vet bring back and it could be a kaboom waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a 70+ year old rifle. Send it to me.  I'll dispose of it properly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#9]
What's a nothi? It sounds like a mystical creature who lives on a island.

Quoted:

well i see you have a life–– nothi better to do?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:05:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unless you reload plan on selling it. My first rifle was an Arisaka, and I still have one. Perfectly fine rifles, for the most part, but ammo is very expensive.

edit as stated above some at the end of the war are ka booms waiting to happen.
+1 on that. Think Norma is the only one that makes ammo for Arisakas. And it ain't cheap either.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:07:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you reload plan on selling it. My first rifle was an Arisaka, and I still have one. Perfectly fine rifles, for the most part, but ammo is very expensive.

+1 on that. Think Norma is the only one that makes ammo for Arisakas. And it ain't cheap either.

I think it's around $40 per box of 20 at the moment.  I have a Type 99 but I've never fired it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's around $40 per box of 20 at the moment.  I have a Type 99 but I've never fired it.
It was that high 20 years ago.....for a $60 Arisaka,complete with the flower.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does it cost now?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#14]
You can buy ammo from Graf&Sons. Last I bought wasn't all that expensive. Believe it's made by Privi Partisan. Thats if the rifle is 7.7 Arisaka

Check the damn thing out good, make sure it's not a 'school rifle',or a really shitty 'last ditch' Arisaka, and it's likely good to go.

The Arisakas don't look like much, but the actions have a reputation for toughness, and the bores are sometimes chromed, really pretty decent rifles usually.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does it cost now?
You've got me there,been a long time since I've seen an Arisaka(but then again,really haven't looked for one either). Couldn't be much,that pricey ammo scares alot of folks away. Maybe when the HBO movie comes out,the values may rise.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a type 38 in 6.5

Norma is the only company that makes commercial ammo for the 38 and the 99 IIRC.

the 6.5mm stuff is right around 50 a box these days.  

Oh and the great thing about reloading the case, you cant in my experience.  from what I read when I got the rifle about 15 years ago, norma's 6.5mm brass is a bit thinner.  as a result, each round I fired had a bulge near the case head.  Sent the rifle to a gunsmith with some ammo, came back no problems with the gun, the brass was just rather crappy.  almost like its set up to be useless to reload so you'll buy fresh, unused brass from norma.  your mileage may vary

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I have an Arisaka , don't shoot it much but its fun to shoot . A few years ago I bought 60 pcs. of Norma new brass and a set of Lee dies . Most of the surplus ammo if you can find it is machine gun ammo and its too hot to shoot in the rifles .

SW
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#19]
'Precision Cartridge' is the brand of ammo I bought from Graf and Sons in 7.7 Japanese. Sorry, thought it was Privi Partisan made, but thats some 6.5mm Italian ammo I bought.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Type 99 and a Type 38 I was planning on restoring and maybe firing but like some have said, you have to look for certain things and decide if you are willing to risk firing them.
Can you post some pictures of it? I might be interested in buying it from you to help re store the one I have.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does it cost now?
You've got me there,been a long time since I've seen an Arisaka(but then again,really haven't looked for one either). Couldn't be much,that pricey ammo scares alot of folks away. Maybe when the HBO movie comes out,the values may rise.

I hope not.  I don't have a Springfield 03A3 yet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have an Arisaka , don't shoot it much but its fun to shoot . A few years ago I bought 60 pcs. of Norma new brass and a set of Lee dies . Most of the surplus ammo if you can find it is machine gun ammo and its too hot to shoot in the rifles .

SW

I thought the Japanese MGs were designed to take the clipped ammo of the rifles in a pinch.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#23]
a WWII Arisaka war trophy with the flower symbol would make a very nice collectable just to hang on the wall, I would keep it , no need to shoot a historical piece like that

most have the flower symbol ground off

please show some photos
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:59:07 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#25]
The Arisakas have become more valuable to collectors lately, and the value would depend on a lot of things. The last ditch version has already been mentioned as potentially unsafe to fire. If the Chrysanthemum has not been ground off, it is more valuable. Then, like most rifles, what is the condition? The more original, the better, and the least damaged from the ravages of time and weather, the better. I already have one for my WW II collection or I might offer to take it off your hands. They were a strong, well built, Mauser type rifle, excepting the last ditch versions, and interesting examples of infantry weapons of that era.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Pictures Man!  Pictures!

Especially detailed pictures of the top of the receiver.

Now get to it.  I don't have all day!

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does it have the flower(aka Chrisanthemum/aka Cherry Blossom)? Captured Arisakas had this filed off.

BTW....Japanese must think this is good luck or something long those lines,the main drag around the plant here is known as,"Cherry Blossom Way".

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is a link to my thread on here asking about my rifles that may help you, people posted some good info on the markings etc.

Arisaka Type 99 / Type 38 info
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's my type 99 7.7mm .
My dad shot it a few years ago with his reloads and it was very accurate.

I have some new Norma 6.5mm JAP brass for sale on the new ee at about half the going price if anyone needs some .

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh for pete's sake.

the PC shit has gone from a mere annoyance to an actual lifestyle for most people.

sad
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, we both are 'keying in' on this...glad I am not the only nitpicker here. I'd sell it, Jap guns do nothing for me.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#32]
My dad gave me one he got in an auction when I was a kid. I just have it hanging on the wall in my sunroom.  I have no desire to track down ammo and shoot it. That's what modern rifles with normal calibers are for.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Here's my type 99 7.7mm .
My dad shot it a few years ago with his reloads and it was very accurate.

I have some new Norma 6.5mm JAP brass for sale on the new ee at about half the going price if anyone needs some .

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5718/img0023smalld.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3302/img0024small.jpg

That is a fine example right there.  On mine, the trigger pull is very heavy and it kicks like a mule, but it's definitely worth keeping.

Oh yeah its a Jap 7.7 mm
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I operate a home for lost and wayward firearms.  Feel free to drop it off with no questions asked.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! v jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!! jap!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it have the flower(aka Chrisanthemum/aka Cherry Blossom)? Captured Arisakas had this filed off.

BTW....Japanese must think this is good luck or something long those lines,the main drag around the plant here is known as,"Cherry Blossom Way".

The mum was the mark of the emperor IIRC. It was considered a great insult to him if the enemy took the weapon with his mark still on it, or thats the tale I heard.
My grandad said that once it looked like it was hopeless on an island, it got real hard to find one with a mum. He brought home the 99 he picked up on Siapan.
I inherited it. I cleaned it up, took my then 3 year old on his first deer hunt, and killed a spike with the rifle my grandpap iced some dude for. My boy will inherit it someday, so I wanted some recent history on it.
The 3yo was impressed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cultural aside - The cherry blossom is a major deal in Japan. It's a marker of springtime, and the cherry blossom viewing festivals are a major event throughout Japan. Huge national pride thing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#38]
ok
did some research –– heres what i think i knotype 99  earlier model
no "mum"
no rust
7.7x58mm
nagoya arsenal
metal butt plate
open? bolt assembl
wood to about the last 3-4" of barrel top and bottom
its actually in decent shape not cracked or gouged in any way
the bayonet that came with it is @ 14-16" long
markings indicate kokura arsenal but made by unknown company under kokura
guidance
i wouldnt shoot it though - unless i had experianced peolpes to guide and check
this thing out
will probly sell or trade it
give me an about figure to ask–– ball park
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
ok
no "mum"
no rust
7.7x58mm
nagoya arsenal
metal butt plate
open? bolt assembly
guidance
this thing out

$87.00
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#40]
The chrysanthemum flower symbol on the receiver:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Seal_of_Japan
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
ok
no "mum"
no rust
7.7x58mm
nagoya arsenal
metal butt plate
open? bolt assembly
guidance
this thing out

They have gone up in recent years. I began collecting them because you could buy them as cheap as $20.00 back in the 80s. I have seen them lately priced between $250 and $400. Do you have any pics?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

[/quote]

Surrendered rifles had them ground off. The chrysanthemum is a symbol of the Emporer and removed to prevent disgracing him. IN most cases only  captured rifles have the symbol intact.

The Cherry Blossom is often a symbol of the samurai in that the bloom is brief but beautiful just like the life of a true warrior.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag because I want one and my local gun store has them cheap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Mine was the family hand-me-down deer rifle. Its a bringback from my grandfather that was severally bubba-ized.

- stock forearm shortened at the barrel band

- barrel cut down to ~ 17"

- chamber was re-sized for .300Savage

It does still have the sun and characters on the receiver, and a full mum on the (non-matching) bolt.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
depending on when it was made, it may not even be safe to fire. The last ditch versions that I see often are pieces of shit. Does it have a wood butt plate? What shape is the bolt knob: pear or barrel shaped? Does it still have the crysanthimum on the receiver ring. Does it have "wings" on the rear site? does it have a monopod?

Lots of questions. It could be a nice vet bring back and it could be a kaboom waiting to happen.

This is a common misconception about these rifles

even the late war Arisaka are perfectly safe to fire as long as headspace checks out

There were a very few emergency use only type 99 rifles made that are not safe to fire but they are very rare

eta, I have a 3rd series Nagoya and it is very fun to shoot, a great rifle all around

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does it have the flower on it? Ammo ain't cheap for them....BTW.

You really should reload for them. Graf has (had) some Privi brass listed. Or you can use .30-06 brass and form it up

Link for some good info re markings.

Here's mine

Fun to shoot. Added a repro sling and cleaning rod. Found a bayonet online made in the same city, Nagoya.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

SW

I thought the Japanese MGs were designed to take the clipped ammo of the rifles in a pinch.  

I'm not sure about the MG's . I was told that the machine gun ammo was not safe to shoot in the rifles .

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Isn't the real difference between 7.7 Jap machine gun and rifle ammo that one is rimmed and the other semi-rimmed?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SW

I'm not sure about the MG's . I was told that the machine gun ammo was not safe to shoot in the rifles .

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Isn't the real difference between 7.7 Jap machine gun and rifle ammo that one is rimmed and the other semi-rimmed?
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

SW

close, the MG ammo is semi rimmed for the Type 92 MG, the rifle ammo is rimless

eta, if i remember correctly the MG ammo won't even chamber in an Arisaka, but i'm not for sure
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Clean it, then have it checked out by a gunsmith.  If 'smith says it's good to shoot, get ammo and shoot it.

They're very strong rifles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top