Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2010 7:54:08 PM EDT
After seeing DK-Prof's post about  getting the Swine Flu, I was wondering who is still taking Vitamin D and how they are fairing cold and flu wise. I've been taking at least 2000 units a day since it started, work in a customer service/sales job and get breathed and coughed on by the general public all day. So far I am disease  free.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Vit D is has been part of my daily supplements for the past couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Been taking it all winter, but not for cold/flu reasons.  Up here, we don't get much sun in the winter, so you need a little vitamin D.  Come to think of it, though, haven't been sick all winter.  Correlation doesn't mean causation, though.
BTW: our pediatrician recommended it for our newborn.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been golfing 3-4 times a week. I have been getting that vitamin D naturally.

I do take it when I'm indoors for more than a few days in a row.

I feel your pain about being in customer service. I did training in a call center for for 5 weeks and thought I was going to get the swineaidszombie flu. 300* people coming from all over the city into one building is a germ haven.

Now that training is over I'm working from home.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Eat good food, go outside once in a while, and exercise.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I take a multivitamin a few times a week, and caught a bad cold this year.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The GF and I have been supplementing 2500 IU per day for several months.  No cold or flu in our house this year.

-Sven
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife, two daugthers and I have been taking 2,000 IU every day for a few months and we have all had a cold within the last 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
i have been taking 4000 iu/day... had a cold 2 weeks ago but it was very mild.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been taking between 1000 and 2000 iu just about every day.  I have gotten sick once since this summer, but other wise I have been more healthy than usual.
-K
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
50,000 units 1x per week, pharmacutical-grade.  It is an Rx.

I do have a documented deficiancy though.  Rather low.  My health was in the shitter before I was put on weekly hero-dose of Vit D.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Aside from the short term immune benefits, there's lots of new data that says Vit D will prevent colon cancer.  

Scientists and researchers are also trying to implicate Vit D deficiency as a cause of autism.  They first saw a correlation between areas with significantly higher annual rainfall because children aren't exposed to as much sunlight.  Lots of new exciting data on Vit D.  

My bottom line: I work inside a hospital, and most days I come in when it's dark and go home when it's dark.  I use it as a supplement for that reason.  The 3000 I take every day is also inexpensive insurance against colon cancer.  If you have a family history of colon polyps or cancer it can't hurt a thing.  When I get to go fishing this summer and I brown up like a coffee bean, I will probably hold off the supplement.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Still taking 15,000 IU of D3 a day plus lots of sunshine to keep my serum 25(OH)D3 above 50.  No colds, no flu.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Vitamin D3, 2000 iu per day, up it to 4000 iu when it's dark and nasty outside.  No flu, even H1N1 was hitting literally half the people in my office.

That being said, I'm a poor sample point.  I've only gotten full blown on flu once in the past ten years (high fever, aches, upper respiratory infection) and the symptoms only lasted 3 or 4 days
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top