Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2002 4:07:29 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend some good suvivalist-themed novels or movies?

thanks

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#1]
lucifer's hammer is pretty entertaining.

civil war II

not really survivalist, but you'd probably like unintended consequences

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Farnhams's Freehold by Robert A. Heinlein
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank

Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The Turner Diaries?

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Wolf and Iron, by Gordon R. Dickson
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse, by James W. Rawles
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
"Malevil" by Robert Merle...it's a great book and kind've hard to find...worth the looking though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the early greats:

Tappan on Survival.
Survival Guns.
Surviving Doomsday.
Nuclear War Survival Skills.

There is another more recent work called "The Survival Bible" by Duncan Long.  The book is obscenely overpriced, but it is thorough to the extent that it covers many different scenarios.  Basically, you can get a good handle on what the possibilities are, then look to books written about specific types of events for working out the details.  Long does provide a few nuggets of info. that others seem to have overlooked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
War Day (i think) By Whitley Streiber and some other guy.

Natures End. Same Duo...
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Draft of TEOTWAWKI:

[URL]http://members.tripod.com/adviser1/tripleought/tocover.htm[/URL]

Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Heinlein wrote several novels that could be termed "survivalist", among them:

Farnham's Freehold
Tunnel In The Sky

Another good one, already mentioned, is:

Lucifer's Hammer
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Turner Diaries?

Just kidding.
View Quote

i'm not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#12]
The Survivalist - by Jerry Ahern
Out of the Ashes - William W. Johnstone

Both are series and have around 20+ books.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Dean Ing---several books  He includes diagrams
and practical examples.
The Foxfire series---absolutely essential
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I don't know what "quietshoez" meant by his comment, but I'd say anyone who is afraid of that book, because of the subject matter, and the negative attention it has gotten, needs to determine if he is a man or a mouse.
[):)]
I mean, how can you know if the critics are being truthful if YOU don't know what is in the book.  I'm not saying you need to become a "John Rocker" and openly support those types of ideas, or even support the book, just be informed . . . damn you.
[(:)]
I'd bet that some of the hard-core bible-thumping Christian's out there would be just as offended by Harlequin Romance novels, as some people are about that book.
[:O]

Understand that I am not supporting or not supporting any of the ideas or beliefs put forth in the book. I am just trying to get others to critically think (i.e. read the f&^*ing book).
[@:D]
I guess some people out there are scared of Hit Man too.
[>(]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:17:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dean Ing---several books  He includes diagrams
and practical examples.
The Foxfire series---absolutely essential
View Quote

Dean Ing's PULLING THROUGH is THE classic on surviving a nuke attack, and includes a lot of real world how-to documents.  Every time I find a copy, one of my friends steals it.

Foxfire is devoted to "old ways", many of them low tech and still very useful.  Up to about 14 volumes now as I recall. Doesn't Amazon have all these?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#16]
what i meant was in reply to the "just kidding"
i'm not.
read it, it needs to be read by more people.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 7:42:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Hmm...Turner Diaries was written by William Pierce, the head of the National Alliance, a neo-Nazi organization. If I can find one used somewhere, I might pick it up out of curiosity, but I don't want my money going to pay the gas bills on the ovens these fruitcakes are building.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Tinker,

I found the Dean Ing book on the B&N used book section of their site.  The CHEAPEST is going for around $75.00!!!!  Is it worth that much?? [The most expensive is over $200.00]
Look like its about time for Delta Press or Paladin to "re-publish a classic."
[:D]
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Other than the John Wesley Rawles book, any of the other books available on the web?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#20]
"[b]The Soldiers Handbook[/b]" by ret. Col. Anthony Herbert.

"[b]Boy Scout Handbook[/b]" mine is a 1949 copy and very good, much better than the newer versions.

"[b]The Survivalist Series[/b]" by Ahern, listed above, there are 28 in this series I have 26 of them. These are entertainment type books with limited actual survival info.

Surprise nobody has listed : "[b]Unintended Consequences[/b]" by John Ross, one very good novel for any second-ammendment supporter.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#21]
dean ing  OMG...I have to sell my copy....I will look for some of these at the local used stores..is it worth it?...yes..if any of the situations happen it will be worth your life.

Foxfire---amazon had a couple listed...good libraries have them also

HOUND---former librarian...I betcha didn't know that!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tinker,

I found the Dean Ing book on the B&N used book section of their site.  The CHEAPEST is going for around $75.00!!!!  Is it worth that much?? [The most expensive is over $200.00]
Look like its about time for Delta Press or Paladin to "re-publish a classic."
[:D]
View Quote

I guess this is why my friends keep heisting the book.  I never pay more than $5 for it.  Most of the hard info in the book comes from Oak Ridge, and is available cheaply enough. The problem is you need a copy to locate the documents, or spend a long time rooting them out from the feds.

Nice story, but the real value is in how  to make a radiation meter from wall board, fishing line, a film canister and a bit of aluminum foil. Or how to improvise a fall-out shelter, or make an air filtration system, or rig lighting sans wall power. Good stuff in there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#23]
tinker...since you have read this book...have you read others by him....like spooker or the nemesis mission? Dean is one of the authors that
I buy anything with his name on it....My copy of Spooker is autographed....I found it in the clearance pile at B&N.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#24]
If you just want some fiction with a survival setting, "Earth Abides" is pretty good even if it is rather old.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd also reccomend Earth Abides, good read. Almost forgot "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson, excellent book-basis for "The Last Man on Earth" and "The Omega Man".  

For a much bigger list check this site out:

[url]http://www.pamedia.com/[/url]

Once again proving that there's a website for everything out there someplace.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2002 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top