Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 4:13:59 PM EDT
I'm lucky-well maybe there is another word for it,but I own a dock on a lake.
A couple nights ago some thief broke into some  of the lockers on other docks.Of course they didn't get anything cause no one has their fishing tackle in them yet.
I told the guys(ages 60-72,)that I had thought of some kind of cell phone type/broad band that would dial up my house if my locker was opened.
"Why would I want to know if someone was breaking into my locker" they wanted to know.
So I could come down and catch them I said.
They all replied,to a man that it is better to just not keep anything worth any money in your locker,let them take what they want and be on their way.
So I said what about a bank of flash bulbs with a slight delay,so that after the locker door was open for 10 seconds,maybe 5-10 flasbulbs would all fire at once.
These guys just couldn't believe what I was saying.
LET THEM TAKE WHAT THEY WANT AND THEY WILL BE GONE,is all they had to say.
I said its an invitation to keep coming back cause no one does anything.
One of them said they may have a gun.I told them I may have one too.
Then they all said it would be me going to jail and not the thieves.
I'm sorry this is so long,but I think you all get my drift.
I'm not sure what I am asking of you,but maybe you can reassure me that not everyone in this country thinks this way.
I think these guys are pretty sad-even if they are older than me.I'm 53-and I'm not afraid of a thief.
Can you give any advice,or an opinion?

Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
While I may be a young wipper-snapper at 25 years old, my mom taught me to stick up for myself and to not let other people walk over me. The Army taught me the fourth general order (unwritten in any US Army manual)-I will walk my post from flank to flank, and not take sh*t from any rank! Not everyone is a spineless, gutless wonder. Some of the younger generation can echo my sentiments, but our numbers are far fewer than I would like. I think that one reason that crime is more prevalent today is due to the lack of resolve of law-abiding citizens to put law-breaking scum in their place. This story just goes to show you that if you let people walk all over you, they will.
[/rant]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Sadly. there are a lot of guys with this opinion. I, however am not one. How about driving a bunch of long nails up from under the pier so they protrude from the floor of the locker (assuming a walk-in locker). OK, that MAY be a bit harsh......  that makes it just about right in my book!
As enjoyable as it would be, shooting someone for robbing your dock locker would definately land you in jail. Some sort of alarm might be in order. Do you live at the location?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
not take ssshit from any rank.  12 gauge and dog make shit rank run away.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say shoot em if you lived in my county.

In the final analyses, it all boils down to how many f**king demorats live in you county, and sit on the jury.

If I were on the jury I would never vote for  conviction, even if you killed everyone of them and it was only a rusty fish hook they ripped.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
It's good that you at least understand their mentality.  You certainly will not be shocked when you need help and these guys just turn on their TVs louder.  What a coincidence it would be if one of these thieves stuck his hand in a bunch of fishing hooks that were tied to fishing line.  I do not believe there is a law prohibiting drying one's hooks.  Or maybe you could just take up a collection from these gentlemen and to induce the thieves not to return.  You're right they are not.    
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#6]
A couple of times when I was a kid, (Johnson was President), we heard noises around our house, or Grandma's house.

My Dad got his single shot 12 ga. shotgun, and handed my 14yr.-old-scared-snotless butt a .22 rifle.

And we went looking to see what the noise was.
I don't know if my Dad was aware of it, but I guarantee, if I had seen anyone, I would have shot first, and asked questions later.
(My knees were knocking together!)
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:15:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a job for the [b]Terminator[/b] device. It's a mountable OC spray device which you placed inside your locker and will upon activation hose perps down with 2 million SHU of OC. That'll spoil their night and leave no permanent damage.

Phoenix Sys. Inc. has them [url]www.phxsystems.com[/url]

As far as use of deadly force, that's a personal matter and for myself very few possesions I own are worth the cost of a human life. Remember after the deed is done (suppose in the dark you off a 14-15 yr. old kid) [b]YOUR[/b] the one who will have to live with the consequences and in todays climate that's very risky proposition.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Just fill your locker with high school algebra text books and Army recruitment pamphlets.  I doubt that they'll ever be back.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:37:48 AM EDT
[#9]
KheSanDon:

Like it or not, that's not only the attitude of the three guys, it's the attitude of "higher authority."

I'm a frequent contributor over in Democratic Underground (that they haven't kicked me out yet is a source of constant amazement to me) and I'm having a discussion on that very topic right now.  "Nothing material is worth a life," is the argument.  "It's not the material, it's the principle," is my response.  And they ain't getting it.

If you're interested, the thread is [url=http://www.democraticunderground.com/cgi-bin/duforum/duboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=575&forum=DCForumID32&omm=0] here[/url]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what I am asking of you,but maybe you can reassure me that not everyone in this country thinks this way.
View Quote

Most certainly not! Heard a *crash, bang, shatter, millions of glass splinters* from the house next door, where 3 or 4 girls live, last summer, at around 11pm.
Grabbed the Kel-Tec P11, tucked it under my shirt, jumped in my boots and was over there in 8 seconds flat. Who knows what was going on, what with 3 or 4 reported rapes in the neighborhood the last 3 years.
Anyway, turned out the chicks were moving furniture around and smashed a 8 foot mirror. I wound up helping lugging couches and stuff. No good deed goes unpunished ;)

Edited to change "neighbor" to "neighborhood". Duh!
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:32:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Most certainly not! Heard a *crash, bang, shatter, millions of glass splinters* from the house next door, where 3 or 4 girls live, last summer, at around 11pm.
Grabbed the Kel-Tec P11, tucked it under my shirt, jumped in my boots and was over there in 8 seconds flat. Who knows what was going on, what with 3 or 4 reported rapes in the neighbor the last 3 years.
Anyway, turned out the chicks were moving furniture around and smashed a 8 foot mirror. I wound up helping lugging couches and stuff. No good deed goes unpunished ;)
View Quote

serves you right you soggy dog you...

hehe sounds like fun...
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#12]
you are of course correct, the thieves should be caught and punished. but killing them is a (little) harsh.
go to your local hunting store and get one of those tripwire cameras. mount it up high. then turn the pictures over to the local police. no harm done, just perpetrators identified.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#13]
My property is mine, I say who uses it or takes it off my property. Feeling sorry for criminals is a sure way to encourage them.

That's what wrong with society today, no one pays full price for their crimes. The first thing Demorats want to do is make the owner of the property out to be the bad guy.  

You want more crime, feel sorry for the bastards and you will get it! Turn on TV news tonight and look at what all you feel sorry and excuse making touchy feeley types have created.

I'll be the judge of how important or how valuable my property is, not the f**king perp, his family, or some feel sorry Demodog, lawyer/judge that has the same lowlifer values.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Legally, you cannot setup any traps that will harm or kill an intruder/trespasser.  You also cannot shoot or harm him/her in any way unless you are being threatened.  The best course of action is a hidden camera with a VCR type recorder.  Then when you take the pictures to the DA and he says that it is not worth the cost to prosecute, you make flyers with a picture of the perpetrator above the following caption "Is this person stealing from my lockers?"  You need to make it in the form of a question to make it difficult to prosecute you for slander.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't hurt some kid for stealing your stuff.  Wait until he's a full-grown dirtbag with a string of felonies under his belt and he gets caught after murdering someone -- THEN the authorities will take care of him.  [:|]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Your neighbors have too much money & too few principles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top