Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2002 12:40:14 PM EDT
What is the best place to buy a Sony ES receiver.  I noticed Crotchfield has them, but seem WAY overpriced.  Anybody know of a reputable dealer that sells these cheap?

Also, If anybody knows of a decent comprable unit, let me know.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't buy a Sony. Buy an HK or a Yamaha.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out hometheaterforum.com and they will have your answer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't listen to John, he obviously knows nothing of quality receivers.  HK has the worst receivers on the market today quality wise, with over half of their units having a multitude of problems.  Check audioreview.com for confirmation on this, HK is crap.  The Sony ES units are decent but are overpriced.  If you want great quality and performance another unit to look at would be Onkyo, there stuff is top notch.  Denon also makes a nice receiver.  There are many online sites that will sell all of these receivers for much less than crutchfield.  Go over to audioreview and see where they buy them, I use to have places bookmarked but deleted them a while back.  John also mentioned Yamaha, but they are a midrange product and don't really compare to Onkyo, Denon, or Sony ES.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]
These guys don't have a clue.  Of the brands mentioned, only the Denon compares to Sony ES products.   They're the only 'mid fi' (entry level high end) products named so far.  The others are mass market dreck.

ES's (and Denons) are noticeably better in sound quality (and picture handling, on video switching models) than the other mentioned brands, IF you have other equipment that's not so flawed that the difference wouldn't be noticed because of them.   This means good speakers and a good TV.  

I'd recommend this instead:  Go shopping at high end audio and video salons (You'll know you're in one because the prices of their flagship models will leave you gasping for breath) and look into their various product lines, then set about finding the same or earlier models on the used market.   Equipment of this type is often used, but very rarely is it abused.  More than likely it's been dusted lovingly with an imported Italian chamois twice a week!

That way, you can get a SERIOUS performance upgrade for the price of what you're looking for now.     For example, I'm a serious audiophile and videophile.   I'm satisfied with my video setup and I don't switch the signal through a preamp or receiver, sending the video output directly to my front projection Sony video projector.    So I don't need or particularly want a preamp that has video switching in it.   As a result, I can buy a Krell KRC-3 preamp (3200 bucks retail) for about 1300 on the used market, and it's as good as new and probably still under the (transferrable) warranty.

That's how you stretch your dollars.  Find something you like and can afford, then find something that's ten times better on the used market for the same money.

I put together an audio/video system with a new value in excess of 30,000 dollars, and did it for about four grand over a period of two years, one component (or pair) at a time.

Start looking for used high end stuff at audiomart.com  and other places you can search out.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the best are DENON and MARANTZ.  We install many in professional environments (Boardrooms, displays, Staging apps, etc.) We use Sony, HK, JVC, SHARP, Mitsubishi, Denon, Bose, and Marantz. For Amps we use Crown, QSC, Ashley, BiAmp, And TOA.  So far the Best combo in my opinion is Denon components, QSC amps, and Klipsch Speakers.  
BTW, If anyone in the Dayton, Cincinnati, or Columbus, OH area is interested, we are hiring installers- both lead and entry. Teleconference experience is a plus, but not necessary.
Oh yea the founder is a big AR-15 fan.

AIRBORNE!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Cleatus try these folks [url]http://www.happymedium.com[/url]  They are good to deal with and have great prices. Call and talk to them for the best price. I have purchased several electronic items from them. The Sony ES is a very good product.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Mcintosh
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't listen to John, he obviously knows nothing of quality receivers.  
View Quote

Don't listen to Bill, he's obviously a PRICK. Just an opinion.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Find a Sony outlet near you.  The local dealers have a huge mark-up on them.  The outlets typically have ES gear for only 1/3 the price of the dealers.  It's worth a call (to confirm that they have it) and a long drive for that savings.  My nephew paid $600 for an E2000ESD(preamp w/ dolby surround and D/A) that a local dealer wanted $1,800.  He also bought an ES tuner for about $140 and an ES DAT player for less $300.  For that price, you can't beat ES equipment.  Their amps might be a little weak (like all Japanese amps, it seems), but they hold their own when compared to other cheap high-end (ok, I know that's an oxymoron) equipment.z
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think the best are DENON and MARANTZ.  We install many in professional environments (Boardrooms, displays, Staging apps, etc.) We use Sony, HK, JVC, SHARP, Mitsubishi, Denon, Bose, and Marantz. For Amps we use Crown, QSC, Ashley, BiAmp, And TOA.  So far the Best combo in my opinion is Denon components, QSC amps, and Klipsch Speakers.  

All pro audio and mid-fi brands.   In NO way comparable to true high end products.  I wouldn't call ANY of them the best by any stretch of the imagination, and Bose in particular is the worst sort of garbage ever put in a neatly packaged and overpriced box.  That brand doesn't measure up to other mass market brands you can buy at Best Buy or Sears, particularly in sonics.

Investigate REAL high end products.  Have them demonstrated.   The bug will bite hard and you will never play with mid-fi or lesser stuff again.

Here are some brands to look for:  Electronics : Krell (my choice), Mark Levinson, Pass Labs, Wadia Digital, Meridian, Audio Research, Balanced Audio Technology, Boulder, Aragon, Revel, Bryston (20 year warranties!), Acurus, Theta Digital, and a flock of others.

Speakers:  Aerial Acoustics (my choice), Martin-Logan, Magneplanar,  B&W, Wilson, Gallo Acoustics, (They beat the ass off Bose in their own game!), Dunlavy, JMLabs, PSB, Snell, and another flock of others.

Maybe your local library has a collection of Stereophile magazines.  If so, browse them for a while and you'll see what the high end looks like.  When you hear what it sounds like, you'll be wanting it.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]
 I agree with cmjohnson but right off the bat, Krell and Mark Levinson are way out of your price range.
 There really are many receivers out there much better than Sony though. In that price range I would recommend you look at Outlaw Audio Model 1050.
 [url]www.outlawaudio.com[/url]

I wouldn't rely on the audioreview website too much. Check out AudioAsylum  and post your "Q" there. They have been around a while you usually get some real hardcore answers to your audio queston.
 [url]www.audioasylum.com[/url]  
or try
 [url]www.harmonicdiscord.com[/url]
 [url]www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php[/url]

again here, many other audio forums out there.
Keep in mind that your overall system is only as good as the weakest link. That is, a good receiver with cheap a$$ speaker (such as Bose) will get you nowhere.
Bose is a joke. Do a search on "Bose FAQ" and read up on them. I hope I don't get sued by them just for saying this...... aaahhhh screw them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top