Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2002 10:42:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm.  Maybe I just don't get it.  This is *national* news because . . . . ?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep Happened in Lynbrook NY. Its about 5 miles from me. The Slick was flying in circles near my house.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how many people will be run over by Chuck and Hillary as they race to the scene to call for more gun control laws. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh boy!  All this on the same day, candidate McCall(for gov./NY) is on the cover of the NY Post shown firing an M16.  He is quoted as saying, that these extremlly powerful weapons(the M16's etc.) should never be allowed into the hands of ordinary citizens.  Hmmmm  thank god Im not ordinary.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
This is taking place the next town over from where I'm originaly from in NY. (I'm from Valley Stream) The perp is an ex-employee of the parish, their former custodian, and yes, they fired him just a few days ago. The shooter ran out of the church chased by an off duty Lynbrook Village P.O. who wrestled the rifle away from him but he still got away and baracaded himself in the house next door to the rectory.

Now why the PO was unarmed while off duty is a question I'd like to ask. I can only think that he wasn't armed because he was at church.

OR....It could be because the admin of the Village of Lynbrook is VERY anti in their attitude, just like the rest of southern NY. This might have somthing to do with the off duty PO being unarmed, I guess its just not PC to go armed, police officer or not. Too bad, somone could have stopped this freak before he pulled the trigger.

Edpmedic, 5 miles away, where you from?

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The perp is an ex-employee of the parish, their former custodian, and yes, they fired him just a few days ago.
View Quote

Where did you hear this?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-church0312a.story?coll=ny%2Dtop%2Dspan%2Dheadlines[/url]

Alleged perp was allegedly fired for allegedly pilfering from the church's collections.

Gee, maybe New York State ought to pass a law banning guns in church.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait a minute....

Wasn't someone at this site making fun of another member (mercilessly, I might add) for carrying in church???

Funny how that works, huh? Wonder how funny it would have been if this guy was attending mass this morning.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now why the PO was unarmed while off duty is a question I'd like to ask. I can only think that he wasn't armed because he was at church.

OR....It could be because the admin of the Village of Lynbrook is VERY anti in their attitude, just like the rest of southern NY. This might have somthing to do with the off duty PO being unarmed, I guess its just not PC to go armed, police officer or not. Too bad, somone could have stopped this freak before he pulled the trigger.

Edpmedic, 5 miles away, where you from?

View Quote

I'm originally from LI also, but now live in the city.  I know for a fact that all off duty officers are allowed AND ENCOURAGED to carry off duty guns.  I would know, I sold the guns to them.  Lynbrook has no say on the NY laws which allow for off duty carry either, so don't ponder that fact too much.  

I would assume that the church setting doesn't USUALLY gain the attention of murderers and maybe the officer didn't find the need just as I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup, I can hear it now....."These are extremely high powered and accurate rifles, capable of rapidly firing sveral times with just the simple operation of this bolt.  There is no need, as the common hunter will tell you, for this kinda of firepower.  These devistating weapons of destruction have no place in the hands of common citizens."
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Nothing surfacing about choir boys yet?

Given what has been happening of late, I wonder why we havent seen more cases like this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw the picture of the rifle the Officer was carrying - it was a tube fed .22 - looked like a Marlin (had a gold trigger or trigger shoe on it)

Dumbass media.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originaly posted by Minman72

I know for a fact that all off duty officers are allowed AND ENCOURAGED to carry off duty guns. I would know, I sold the guns to them. Lynbrook has no say on the NY laws which allow for off duty carry either, so don't ponder that fact too much.
View Quote

I understand that the usual policy/law for most departments Minman. What I was trying to say is that even though this is what the state law says, and what the Departments in the area have as OFFICIAL policy, Lynbrook village administration seems to have a rabidly biased attitude against firearms. This could have bred a negative, albeit unofficial, feeling towards carrying off duty.

That this is the case, I have no definitive proof. Even if it is true, the administration most likely neither knows that they are even promoting such behavior nor will they admit to it. The officer most likely just felt that since he was at mass he didn't have to carry, just like you said. That in itself, however, speaks volumes towards the very strong anti feelings of this area of the country.

As you know, many if not most people in this area think that NOBODY but police should carry. With that paradigm engrained in their minds, the idea that there are places where that even the police shouldn't carry "their evil guns" is not too far a mental leap to make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top