Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 7:57:12 AM EDT
I know, I know, so did his father a little more than a year before his defeat by that Clinton fellow, but look at the numbers anyway!

[size=4]Bush Sets Popularity Record[/size=4]

White House wannabe Tom Daschle must be grinding his teeth: President Bush has "soared higher, longer than any previous president in polls dating to 1938," according to a new poll by [b]ABC News and the Washington Post[/b].

And though National Pinko Radio's Mara Liasson grumped this evening on Fox News Channel that the national pride that has bloomed since Sept. 11 is all show, the poll found "a swelling sense of patriotism that leads most to say this crisis has changed the nation for the better."

Among the findings:

- Eighty-two percent approve of Bush's job performance, and 88 percent approve of his handling of the war. More than eight in 10 think the war is going well.

- Sixty-six percent say the United States is now doing all it reasonably can to prevent more terrorist attacks.

- Eighty-one percent say the United States is doing all it reasonably can to avoid U.S. military casualties.

- Only 44 percent say bin Laden must be killed or captured for the war to be a success.

- Seventy-two percent support sending U.S. troops to countries such as the Philippines and Yemen to capture terrorists. Seventy-two percent want the U.S. to oust Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. Without backing from U.S. allies, support for attacking Iraq dips to 55 percent.

- Seventy-four percent say they're "extremely" proud to be an American, up from 55 percent in January 2001. An additional 18 percent are "very proud," for a total of 92 percent expressing high levels of patriotism.

- Eighty-six percent say Sept. 11 has changed the nation in a lasting way; 78 percent say it is a change for the better. Fifty-seven percent say the attacks changed their own lives in a lasting way.

The poll was conducted by telephone from Thursday to Sunday among a random national sample of 1,008 adults. The results have a 3-point error margin.

See article at:[url]http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2002/3/11/225449[/url]

Eric The(Happy)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
That pool includes my 100% approval rating.   (((Go Georgie)))
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I think he has learned the art of communicating to the American people.  I like the fact that he speaks in a clear, concise language and I don't have to know what the meaning of 'is' is.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Just think we came this close to having the Bill Clinton-clone Al Gore being president. Thank God Spotted Al lost.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
If the numbers are any reflection of Americans' attitudes at all, it just portrays an ignorant populace with not enough common sense to come in from out of the rain.  Operation Anaconda was a good example--the spinners call it a success, misleading the public from the actual facts such as the job was left unfinished and that the Afghans can't agree on anything or get along outside their tribal groups.  Oh and that Karzai and his "interim government" is an American puppet dictatorship.  

People can be as extremely proud as they want.  I feel it's the same denial of reality that pervades our educational system--everyone is special, everyone is smart, you just have to lower the bar enough and look the other way.  I'm not proud of any of this, there is no pride in prosecuting a war with no well-defined goals, no way to win, and no way to get out.  

And how can a terror attack have a positive impact?  Our civil rights are threatened as never before, yet the spinners want to sell this as a good thing.  Well fuck them. 1,008 adults living in a retirement community in FL (or wherever they found these no load assholes) is not a representative sample of 300 million Americans, no way no how.

And even if there is scientific validity to the poll, Hitler was wildly popular as well.  Look where that took the Germans.  Straight to hell.  At least Bush isn't as smart as Hitler was.  But wait until we get a president who is.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#5]
You know if you move far enough to the right, you come up on the left!

It's easy enough to do.

You start off as a patriotic American and, poof!, the next thing you know you're spewing anti-American propaganda like a first-year Pravda reporter.

The only difference is that the first-year Pravda reporter doesn't likely know any better!

Eric The(BothFeetOnTheGround)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's easy enough to do.

You start off as a patriotic American and, poof!, the next thing you know you're spewing anti-American propaganda like a first-year Pravda reporter.

The only difference is that the first-year Pravda reporter doesn't likely know any better!

Eric The(BothFeetOnTheGround)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I agree with you about Pravda, but in Pravda you know the news is slanted, but here in the U.S. many people don't think news is biased.

I got a mailer from the NRA dated Jan 18, 2002,
according to this mailer, "Newsweak" Magazine claims that "any politician who supports the NRA in the face of Sept 11th terrorist attacks could guilty of TREASON." I guess the war on terror is starting to be subverted, and now like the war on drugs, is now a war on guns. The anti-gunners are dispicable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#7]
W. may be, in fact, a very good person.  He seems real, the genuine article.  And he's doing the right thing by supporting the millitary.

I voted for him.  I'm glad he's president instead of (shudder) AlGore.

[b]But look at what he's doing![/b]
[list][*]The Education Bill, more money going to the corrupt educational bureaucracy[/*][*]Steel import tariffs, a sell-out to organized labor (who will stab him in the back at election time)[/*][*]The airline bailout (no comment)[/*][*]Will probably sign "Campaign Finance Reform" - an outrage![/*][*]Compromised on embryo research[/*][*]No positive movement on gun ownership, loosening import restrictions, etc.[/*][*]Will probably sign new AW ban after the current one sunsets.[/*][*]I heard on the radio that there's another liberal sounding bill on the horizon that has W's support, but I'm having a brain cramp and can't remember.[/*][/list]

Would I vote for him again if there's no alternative to a Demon-crat?  Possibly.  But if there's a strong third-party candidate on the conservative side as a spoiler in 2004, W. will be a one-termer.  I don't care how high his popularity now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think he has learned the art of communicating to the American people.  I like the fact that he speaks in a clear, concise language and I don't have to know what the meaning of 'is' is.
View Quote

Beg to differ.  I for one still find it embarassing to hear his speaches.  His pronunciation, intonation and cadence make him sound like a mind-numbed robot.

Again, I LIKE THE GUY.  But he's no gift to public speaking.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely.  Trickshot is a living example of that maxim.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No positive movement on gun ownership, loosening import restrictions, etc.[*]Will probably sign new AW ban after the current one sunsets.[/*]

Where did you hear this? Sounds like you're talking out of your ass since the issue has not yet been raised. What are your sources?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[*]Will probably sign new AW ban after the current one sunsets.[/*]

Where did you hear this? Sounds like you're talking out of your ass since the issue has not yet been raised. What are your sources?
View Quote

Yes, you caught me on that one fair 'n' square.  This is only a prognostication based on the act that he's looking more and more like his father every day.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I just remembered...
[*]Amnesty for illegal aliens, just the thing to encourage ilegal behavior and swell the ranks of poor Democrat voters.[/*]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Okay, [b]Hun[/b], I agree W has quite a popularity wave he's riding.  But how deep does it run?

If another Combo-Terrorist strike happens (as most likely will between now and 2004) WHO do you think will get the blame for "allowing" it to happen??

You know how the Democ[b]rat[/b]/LeftMedia spin machines will work:

"TWO major terrorist attacks on Bush's watch."

"All those billions of dollars wasted on Star Wars and STILL Bush allowed this to happen."

"This proves he's incompetent at defending the people of America."

"Long and deep recession/depression ahead."

Yada yada yada..

You just KNOW the Democ[b]rat[/b]s probably have all their "Bush is a failure" speeches all ready to go if another terrorist attack does occur.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top