Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2002 9:23:30 PM EDT
What should be done with Ground Zero??

* A beautiful park?

* Building the TALLEST and most beautiful building(s) in the world to honor the people who died as well as showing the world that we are resilient?

* A missile silo to defend the rest of the city from further attacks?

* All of the above?
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Re-associate the term "Ground Zero" with Afghanistan-in it's traditional sense.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
They should at the least rebuild it, but make it better.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Rebuild it.

Since there are already several memorials I don't think there should be yet another one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
fooookin A

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I sort of envisioned a memorial (the official one), on the ground floor of a newer, super-American state-of-the-art building, although not too ostentatious, or cheesy.

Probably would want to have a sort of Museum Americana in there somewhat akin to the Smithsonian.

Wouldn't necessarily have to be the tallest building in the world to stand out, though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
How about whatever the people of NYC/NYS want to do with it??

Alternatley if it was my decision, I would have twin towers built, maybe not the same as the WTC maybe exactly the same. In any event the would be newer, better, and nicer, just to remind everyone that there is nothing that you can do to the United States that we can't undo and improve.

I would also set aside room for a memorial, not sure exactly what it would be, some have suggested a wall similar to the Vietnam Memorial.

OT saw "Titus" on Jay Leno tonight he said(paraphrase) Why would anyone mess with the US?? We build monster trucks for FUN. Just think what we'll build if you piss us off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Lets build a dope farm, all get high and sing kum-bai-ya, while holding hands and denouncing the religious and racist backed attacks on the Islam community.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:04:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lets build a dope farm, all get high and sing kum-bai-ya, while holding hands and denouncing the religious and racist backed attacks on the Islam community.
View Quote

By those Nasty White Males, you forgot to include.[img]http://rockbottomdlux.freewebspace.com/smilies/Naughty.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sadness.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:09:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Build a memorial on 15 acres of prime Manhattan real estate.

Dream on.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#11]
This would be an appropriate memorial...

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/gus%2FNewWTC%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 3:54:56 AM EDT
[#12]
How about a 110 story ARMS FACTORY. [smoke]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:03:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Gus...you have hit it exactly!  That is innovative thinking.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I voted for rebuilding a new WTC, etc., because, after all folks, it [u]is[/u] private property we're talking about here.

The owners have every right to use and build on this property as they see fit.

Do you have any idea of what this property is worth [u]commercially[/u]?

Then let the owners rebuild immediately and have a lovely memorial set out for all to see.

I sorta liked those three leaning outer walls that looked like a scene of a secular Calvary!

Eric The(WhateverItTakes)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:23:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd like them to build a tall/huge building too... but there could be more than a few problems.

Many people will not occupy the space.  They will be scared or maybe need something like terrorism insurance.  Maybe a parachute in every office.

Wheelchair people should be banned from working in such a place.  During 911 they couldn't walk down the stairs.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Watching that film sunday night reminded me how utterly beautiful the WTC plaza was. Ugly as they might have been from a distance, there was an unspeakable feeling when you stood in the plaza and looked up at the towers reaching toward the sky around you. And of the buildings themselves - in the first few floors the outer steel girders opened to create a light, open space.

But the current proposal is simply to create a "mixed use space", far shorter and probably far uglier that the WTC complex.

Hey, if ppl don't want to occupy the top floors then only include offices up to the 30th or 40th or whatever floor ppl feel safe. Then stretch the towers up to 120-130 floors(while we're at it, why not bet those petronas thingies, right?). And keep the original feel of the place. The towers only took up 1.8 of the the 16 acres now vacated. It's perfectly possible to build a tower on top of a park/memorial of some sort.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
it [u]is[/u] private property we're talking about here.
The owners have every right to use and build on this property as they see fit.
Eric The(WhateverItTakes)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

for once, i'm with him. it's private property. a memorial would be nice, tho.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone remember the movie "Demolition Man" with Sylvester Stalone?  Remember the memorial they made?  It was a glass floor that looked down into an undisturbed scene of the prior devastation.  I would like to see something like that inside of whatever is built next.  It would tell everyone coming in that a tragedy occured here and this is what it looked like.  

That area has to be rebuilt and it should be done in a grand manner, hopefully going even higher than before to show we aren't afraid!  Firms will take the high floors and you'll probably see other measures in upper floors which will ensure a safe exit if stairways are cut off.  Imagine a zipline or something to another building.  Who knows, they'll come up with it!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Since there is quite a bit of real estate available, I see no reason we can't do both.

Build some kind of border marker around the whole area that shows where the WTC complex was,along with plaques explaining what happened. Maybe pictures around the perimeter that show what the towers looked like from that angle.  Inside that, build the new office buildings, but not as big as the WTC, since we also need some of that space for the memorial.  Also leave more room between them for greenspace and pedestrian traffic.  Maybe wide garden walkways.  And inside somewhere (center?), build a 1 to 3 acre memorial park, monument, reflecting pool, etc.  The people affected need somewhere to greive and reflect that looks and feels sacred, and that can't be done well in an office lobby.  Some of these people will never receive any remains of their loved ones, and this place will be the only attachment they can have.  Ground Zero IS their cemetery.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#20]
They should be rebuilt bigger and better then before. Not only that, but all captured terrorists should be forced to help in the construction. When the building is done, they will all be thrown off the top into a giant pigpen built for the purpose (thus, they will kill several pigs on impact, and their blood and body parts will be mixed). Then, we can top them off with a pair of Patriot SAM launchers.

How's that sound?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Rebuild them.  Taller, and BIGGER.   With enough clear rooftop area to install aircraft carrier style catapults and a landing area as well, so actual Navy fighters (JSF's or F/A-18's) could handle the security details.

Or at least install a steerable laser on the roof.  One in the five megawatt range, suitable for burning a plane out of the sky if need be. Also makes a very efficient trash incinerator.

It could also have its uses in controlling crime in the area.  Oh, look, there's a mugging in progress!   Poof!   Mugger gone in a puff of smoke, victim wondering what the hell just happened!

CJ
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Build the next one even bigger!
TEXAS SIZED![:D]

As our infamous Roy D. Mercer would say..."Osama, When was the last time you had a good old fashioned Country @r$e Whoopin?"

Big(Anytime,Anywhere!)Dozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top