Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2001 12:33:27 PM EDT
I have a new computer set up at home.  Cable modem, IE5.  when I log in, my name appears on the list of current users, but I still have the log on prompt and no "post new topic" or "post new threads."  It's like I'm there, but I'm not.  I can only post from work now (of course only on officially scheduled breaks, declared on time sheets at end of pay period):)
My security is set on mediun, and I specifically enabled cookies from AR15.com.
Any suggestions?    
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#2]
THANKS.  I'll try to sort through that when I get home.  Two q's, GoatBoy or anyone, how can I stop my computer from cacheing, and what's a proxy?

thanks again, I never said i knew Di@* about computers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#4]
It's worse than I feared.  I checked my cache controls, and it was already set to "check for newer versions of stored pages: Automatically", the same as the settings on the computer I am using now that works fine.  Refresh button also does not fix the problem.
I also thought about it a little, and I am getting a new version of the page, as my user name does appear down at the bottom along with everyone else logged in as soon as I sign on.  It just doesn't appear at the top, instead I get the prompt and no new post new topic options.  

Very strange.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:37:40 AM EDT
[#6]
O.K., running ie 6, changed to every visit to page, still not logged in as far as the top of the page, but still see glockshooter on the list of people on the sight.  [>:/]
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#8]
VICTORY IS MINE!

Sorry, I'm just happy I could get something done on a computer.  Not my forte', and I can rarely "beat the box."

Basically, it was a cookie issue.  I had to mess with windows security settings to allow cookies from this (and other) web sights.  

But it turns out that there were multiple cookie blocking issues, including a little program called AddSubtract that I run to keep pop-ups away.  

After specifically excluding certain web sights, including this one, from several security functions, I can be protected and ... gasp .. use my computer.  

This is a real tribute to AR15.com.  If it wasn't such a quality product I never would have gone through all this.  

GoatBoy, I will now get out of your hair for another 2 years [;)], or at least until you need to clue me in that I'm using an outdated browser!
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top