Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2001 10:43:56 PM EDT
I've been told I'm lucky to be able to get the DSL for my area.  Touted as being FAST, it usually is, except for AR15.com.
It took over 2 minutes to get the site up, and then over 2 minutes to log on.  
I've got NUTSCRAPE fer shurr, dude...Whassup wit dat?
Seriously, why is it taking so long, and, is anyone else having this problem?
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I was having the same problem. Try logging in at  http://www.ar15.com/forums/index.html
It help me to log in. I am using Netscape 4.75 with a 56k modem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
For what it's worth...I use Explorer with a 56k modem. My highest connect speed is 26,400...have never gotten on with a faster connect speed except elsewhere...

And even at that I don't experience allot of "slow-time" when on the board. Things seem to clip along pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
contras21:

Are you sure you're dialing into a 56k enabled pop on your ISP? You SB able to connect at least in the 40k range unless your phone line is real dirty. Try running a direct line to the demarcation jack if you have one and eliminate all the interior wiring.

You should also place a call to the repair line at your telco. Ask them to test and condition the line. Make sure you tell them it's a modem line.

I've connected as high as 52k with a really clean phone line.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've got NUTSCRAPE fer shurr, dude...Whassup wit dat?

View Quote

Which version of Netscrape are you using... if it's 6 then you need to sheeet can it and go back to one of the 4.7x versions... IMO...

In any case NS isn't as fast (or as spiffy here) as IE, but you may have other problems some of which have benn addressed...

FWIW...

db
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I lock-up with Netscape 4.76 and a T1 line!!!
It's not the speed, but the AR15 site construction associated to browser technology.
IE works just fine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#6]
there is something with the construction of the homepage that causes netscape 4.7 on a T3 line to take a major pause while loading.

if you wait a minute the page will load.
on a 56k modem i assumed the site was down.
Once i saw it load after a minute on the T3 i waited it out on the 56K modem.

and bookmarked the forum index page.

IMHO the tools used to create the site show a m$ bias
micro$oft rules the planet buy creating standards that only they truely know.
HTML is supposed to be simple.

Think different

dZ
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 12:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Netscape 4.76 and DSL is all I know.  I made the mistake of putting in the "6" because I had trouble viewing the Bushmaster site.  They said 6 users had no trouble, but, 4.76 did.  The 6 really had things screwed up!  My Uncle came over to undo it, and, I'm back to the 4.76.

The other computer mumbo-jumbo, ME NO GET.  I'll have to ask Uncle back over to look at it again. He's amazingly knowlegeable about this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top