Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2004 12:36:09 PM EDT
GB,

I've noticed on the new site that sometimes when clicking the last page of a thread, it pops up a blank page (no comments), and in the drop-down jump-to-page box it says "1 of n" rather than 15 of n, etc.

There is an off-by-one error in your calculation generating the thread-list display.  The bug only manifests itself when the total # of posts is a multiple of 25.  I think you see where I'm going with this.  I'm sure you can find it.

Thanks
James
(If you havent witnessed this bug, set up a test thread and give 25 or 50 replies and you'll see that you'll have a phantom 2nd or 3rd page, respectively)
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
GB, that is the same issue I e-mailed you about with the screen shots.  At the time you thought it was a posting bug that was corrupting the DB when the site was first brought up.  I have seen it several times on new threads in the last few days.  It appears to be in the post count calculation routine that is writing a new page with no posts in it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
GB, that is the same issue I e-mailed you about with the screen shots.  At the time you thought it was a posting bug that was corrupting the DB when the site was first brought up.  I have seen it several times on new threads in the last few days.  It appears to be in the post count calculation routine that is writing a new page with no posts in it.

Actually based on the symptoms I suspect the problem code is an off-by-1 error in the code that renders the list of threads itself, and nowhere else.

edit: that is, the first part of your sentence (...to be in the post count calculation routine...) is correct, but it is not writing a new page with no posts in it -- that page exists, no matter what. for example, try visiting the page you're reading right now but change the end of hte url to page=37 for example.  The page renders blank simply as an error-handling routine.  The actual error is in the code that renders the list of topics
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen this bug as well...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
GB, I sent you a new screen shot of a current thread with the page problem.  There are currently only two pages in the thread.  The post count was 50.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=243217&page=3

And this is why I drive a BMW......  
( Page:  2   3  )

KUpolo 50  1009    5/12/2004 7:33:01 PM by KUpolo
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top