Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2004 12:45:43 PM EDT
I posted this in another thread, but I thought that GB or the mods may wish to read it and/or tack it.

I have found a problem with the site code - the cookies treat "ar15.com" and "www.ar15.com" as two completely different sites. In other words, if you go to "ar15.com" and sign in, then close your browser and come back later and go to "www.ar15.com", you CANNOT login. You have to go to your cookies folder, delete the cookie in there for ar15.com and then most of the time, it will let you log in.

Here's an experiment:

1 - Delete your AR15 cookie(s).
2 - Go to "ar15.com" (without the preceeding "www")
3 - Log in (it should let you log in)
4 - Once it has logged you in, close all your browser windows
5 - go to "www.ar15.com"
6 - Log in.

You will see that it will not let you log in.

However, if you go and manually delete the cookie from your previous login to "ar15.com", you can then log in to "www.ar15.com".
Why is this an issue? Because of email notifications. If the person who replied to your email is logged in to "www.ar15.com" then the link will be to "www.ar15.com/link" and if the person who replied was logged in to "ar15.com" then the link will be to "ar15.com/link" and you CANNOT be logged in to both. IMO, this needs to be fixed on the server side.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I followed your script and didn't have any problems logging back in under any of the scenarios.  I also logged into ar15.com, www.ar15.com and www.jobrelatedstuff.com. You can’t be logged into more then one URL at the same time.  The system just logged me out of one URL when I logged into the other one.  

I have not had a problem logging into the site since it came back up.

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm...  I wonder how it plays out for others...
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm having the same problems. On the old Compaq I can log right on...With the new Dell, no luck. I will give this a try.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hmmm...  I wonder how it plays out for others...

The same.

(put-up with it for awhile - he's working on it)
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I havent had a problem loging in till right now, then I left the WWW off and was able to log in.. WTH does leaving off the www do.. It send you to the excact same site?????
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I havent had a problem loging in till right now, then I left the WWW off and was able to log in.. WTH does leaving off the www do.. It send you to the excact same site?????

It's the way the site has been coded.  It *shouldn't* matter, so that part of the code really needs to be fixed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top