Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2012 2:01:12 PM EDT
Been trying to post this link to a youtube video but neither works. The embed will display nothing while the hotlink will send you to an error page on the youtube website.

This is the URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyTVkD0w––E

This is the hotlink.

And this is the embed.

I don't understand why it's doing that. The only thing I've noticed is that when the post is submitted or reviewed, it changes the two dashes between the 'E' and the remainder of the URL into one single line. When I copy the URL from the post into an IE browser, it directs me to the youtube error page. But if I then re-enter the two dashes, the link will work.

Any solutions? Or is this just an idiosyncrasy of the forum software?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Its operator error. Worked for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried the URL in my first post? 2-3 people attempted to embed it and it did not work.

ETA: The URL for the video you posted did not contain any dashes, much less any double-dashes. I can get embeds to work and know how to do them, but that URL is not working.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is what I get from your URL

This video is unavailable
The URL contained a malformed video ID

That hot link you provided just takes you to the main Youtube page, nothing specific
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here is what I get from your URL

This video is unavailable
The URL contained a malformed video ID

That hot link you provided just takes you to the main Youtube page, nothing specific

Yes, that's what happens when you copy-paste it from the post into your browser. The forum software is combining the "- -" into "––". When that's put into the browser, it returns an error, since that is not an URL for a video. As I said, if you copy it from my post, put it in the browser, replace the "––" with two dashes, it will work. If you do that, I think you will see what I'm talking about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top