Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2005 5:53:34 AM EDT
I love the forums, and I know how much of a job it can be to admin them, so first of all I offer my appreciation to all of the admins for what they do day in and day out.

One of the only things that frustrates me about this board is the search function. I think it could be fixed by changing 2 things IMO.

1. Allow searches to be confined to a single forum as well as groups of forums (like it is now). Its a PITA looking for a topic in the Survival forum (for instance) because your search criteria is run against every thread in the General Discussion forum as well which results in a lot of unnecessary weeding out of threads by the user. Yes, I realize that the forum name is a colum in the search results and I can use that to scan for only topics in the Survival forum so this is a minor irritation but also wouldn't be hard to remedy IMO.

2. This is one that gets me frustrated as all hell.... Searches can't be based on text contained in the body of a post! I don't know what databse software the site is running on, but full text searches should be capable somehow.

Someone can start a thread entitled 'Look what I made today' and it pertains to a new AR15 pistol they assembled earlier in the day. Wonderful. All is well. More people read the thread and it evolves into a lively discussion about legality of AR pistols, letters from the ATF are posted, personal stories of calls made to LEOs on legality of said pistols are discussed.. you get the point....

Well, 3 months go by and I have a need for some info that I remember being discussed in a thread but I don't remember that someone entitled it 'Look what I made today'. I have no good way of finding it if I didn't post in the thread or subscribe to it (didn't know I'd have a need for the info down the road).

Well, those are my 2 suggestions. Thanks for reading
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top