Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/9/2017 11:54:02 AM EDT
Figured I'd stop by the newer area of arf and say hi.

So, what is your favorite bourbon?

Me, I'm a simple guy and don't get too excited about  chasing the hard to find.  I did in the beginning and was mostly disappointed.   Living in PA with the state run booze, we don't seem to get too much of the hard to find bourbon.

My favorite bourbon by far is Wild Turkey Rare Breed.  I love the heat and flavors.

These below are good (to me) and are always rotated in my wheelhouse.

Bookers
Blantons
Makers Mark / 46
Knob Creek
Hirsch Small Batch Reserve
Wild Turkey 101
Four Roses - yellow / small batch
Weller Reserve - when available
Stagg Jr - when available
Elmer T Lee - when available

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Jim Beam is what you seek.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Wild Turkey
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Buffalo Trace
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Some great ones listed already in your post.  Maker's Mark is my every day bourbon of choice.  Some others to try that I think are good values.

Russells Reserve
Larceny
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always been a fan of Woodford.  My brother lives in Lexington and we've visited the distillery a number a times.  It's exactly what you would expect nestled in a little valley in the rolling hills of central Kentucky.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Nathan Stones has so far been my favorite I've ever had. That being said, as far as what I can usually get, it seems to rotate between a few. Stagg Jr., Makers Stave select cask, or EC12
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
yes
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Larceny
Elijah Graig
Bulleit
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some great ones listed already in your post.  Maker's Mark is my every day bourbon of choice.  Some others to try that I think are good values.

Russells Reserve
Larceny
Elijah Craig Small Batch
View Quote

I've had those as well.  The RR is one that i buy from time to time also.

I'm fortunate that I'm a member of a local cigar shop and almost every Saturday we take turns bringing in a bottle of bourbon to try.  It's really fun trying new ones and not having to always be the buyer.  We've even done a few blind taste tests.  That's a lot of fun not being influenced by a label, just going on taste.  That's how I found four roses yellow label.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Jim Beam is what you seek.
View Quote

It's funny, I've tried Jim Beam Black because everyone always says how good it is.  Unfortunately, I didn't like it at all.  For a lower proof, to me, it sure had a heavy alcohol burn with very little flavor.

I guess this is why we are so lucky to have so many choices.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof is hard to beat IMO
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Woodford Reserve.  Haven't had any bourbon in a while, but it was my go to.
Like Makers and BT once in a while.
Never acquired a taste for Knob Creek.

Scotch is my latest thing.  My tastes seem to be getting more and more expensive.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've had those as well.  The RR is one that i buy from time to time also.

I'm fortunate that I'm a member of a local cigar shop and almost every Saturday we take turns bringing in a bottle of bourbon to try.  It's really fun trying new ones and not having to always be the buyer.  We've even done a few blind taste tests.  That's a lot of fun not being influenced by a label, just going on taste.  That's how I found four roses yellow label.

View Quote
I'll have to try the yellow label.   I like their small batch and have a single barrel in my cabinet right now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Woodford Double Oaked
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:14:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Woodford Double Oaked
View Quote
Hmmmmm....as I put the aforementioned scotch down on the desk....

In your opinion, it is worth the price, yes?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Turkey chased with Beam!
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woodford Double Oaked

It most certainly is
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll have to try the yellow label.   I like their small batch and have a single barrel in my cabinet right now.
View Quote
I like the small batch better than the yellow label but the yellow label is still good especially at its price point.

Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Eagle Rare, I need to try Blanton's one day
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woodford Double Oaked

Picked up a bottle a couple weeks ago. It is quite tasty.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Elijah Craig18 year. Hard to find lately though.

Jim Beam is the Budweiser of bourbons. It's what you drink if you can't find anything better.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#22]
your list is missing Jefferson's.

not the reserve, that's fine and all, but plain Jefferson's is always what i look for first on the shelf.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
your list is missing Jefferson's.

not the reserve, that's fine and all, but plain Jefferson's is always what i look for first on the shelf.
View Quote
I'm not a fan but we all have different tastes.  I did like the Jefferson Ocean, nice salty carmel flavor.  I really thought it was going to be a marketing gimic.   It wasn't.  But at $80 a bottle I don't stock up on it.

Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#24]
The question really should be posed as best taste/$.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The question really should be posed as best taste/$.
View Quote
Two Stars
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#26]
My "favorite" at the moment is most definitely Pappy 23.  Honestly, I enjoyed that IMMENSELY.

My go-to/favorite drinkers that I have ongoing access to?  Well, I'm the kind of guy that really appreciates different styles and I try to vary it up as much as possible.  That said, here's what I drink the most of, in no particular order:

Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel  (their Small Batch is great as a substitute)
Eagle Rare
Blanton's
Michter's US 1 Small Batch
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Rock Hill Farms
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Rock Hill Farms
View Quote
Have you ever seen this in a state run ABC store in NC?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Russell Reserve

Four Roses Yellow ( very surprised by this when I tried it)

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Makers is always the fall back position
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Basil Hayden's
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a big fan of Turkey 101, Elijah Craig (12 year, barrel proof, and the NAS stuff), Eagle Rare, Old Grand Dad Bonded, and some of the Four Roses single barrel bottles.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:47:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Rock Hill Farms
View Quote
nope, was given a bottle for christmas a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Buffalo Trace
View Quote
BT
Eagle Rare
Bulleit
Maker's Mark, 46, and Cask Strength
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm currently trying to sample different bottles every few weeks. Trying to better learn how to taste and judge and what expressions I best like. I'm finding what tastes best depends on my mood at the moment and if I'm in the mood for more or less heat and proof. more spicy bite or less spice and more smooth sweetness. I do really appreciate and seek a long finish nowadays. I am starting to see that I am tending to gravitate to the higher proofs with 90 to 100 proof feeling like the sweet spot for me. i am mainly staying mid range in price and mid and bottom shelf and finding there are some fantastic flavors and values on the bottom shelf so to speak.

That said, my current favorite at the moment is Old Grand Dad 114. A manly bourbon with the spice and flavors of Basil Hayden at a consistent and hot 57% alcohol. Long and peppery finish.  $19 a bottle in my area and awesome over a single large ice cube.

Also current favorites and/or in my meager stash:

Buffalo Trace (all around great bourbon at a great price). .
Knob Creek- 100 proof and full flavored with a nice bit of rye. Nice finish.  Great bourbon to keep in stock.
Evan Williams Single Barrel- $25 for an 8 year old single barrel with the barrel number and bottling date on the label. Delicious and to me somewhat sophisticated for the price.  
Will usually have a bottle of Jim Beam Black label or Double Oak. I'm interested to try Beam's Bottled In Bond.

Another fantastic whiskey I tried recently in Nashville is Belle Meade. Don't know if it's a bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey but it was flat out one of the best tasting I've ever had and will be seeking out a bottle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm currently trying to sample different bottles every few weeks. Trying to better learn how to taste and judge and what expressions I best like. I'm finding what tastes best depends on my mood at the moment and if I'm in the mood for more or less heat and proof. more spicy bite or less spice and more smooth sweetness. I do really appreciate and seek a long finish nowadays. I am starting to see that I am tending to gravitate to the higher proofs with 90 to 100 proof feeling like the sweet spot for me. i am mainly staying mid range in price and mid and bottom shelf and finding there are some fantastic flavors and values on the bottom shelf so to speak.

That said, my current favorite at the moment is Old Grand Dad 114. A manly bourbon with the spice and flavors of Basil Hayden at a consistent and hot 57% alcohol. Long and peppery finish.  $19 a bottle in my area and awesome over a single large ice cube.

Also current favorites and/or in my meager stash:

Buffalo Trace (all around great bourbon at a great price). .
Knob Creek- 100 proof and full flavored with a nice bit of rye. Nice finish.  Great bourbon to keep in stock.
Evan Williams Single Barrel- $25 for an 8 year old single barrel with the barrel number and bottling date on the label. Delicious and to me somewhat sophisticated for the price.  
Will usually have a bottle of Jim Beam Black label or Double Oak. I'm interested to try Beam's Bottled In Bond.

Another fantastic whiskey I tried recently in Nashville is Belle Meade. Don't know if it's a bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey but it was flat out one of the best tasting I've ever had and will be seeking out a bottle.  

View Quote
I agree.  My mood sets the tone for me too.

Bookers or other high octane bourbon  when I'm feeling feisty and MM, Blanton's, Weller when I'm feeling mellow.

Always need to have a few different bottles on hand.

Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Turkey!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#37]
If you dig 100 proof and want some suprisingly (well... shockingly even... maybe) good try Old Granddad Bottled in Bond.
Less than 25$/750ml around these parts and was a real eye opener for me.

Old Granddad itself is swill... the Bottled in Bond version is actually pretty dang tasty.

I found out about it in a blind tasting.  I thought the host was joking when I saw the Old Granddad label.  I took another taste from that bottle to make sure he was serious. I then read the rest of the label and have had at least one bottle in the rotation since.

Not the best bourbon ever, but it's up there in 'bang for buck' quality with the Evan Williams Single Barrel. (Which I also love).
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I like makers

I think a lot of them are made in the same place
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I like makers

View Quote
There are distillers that distill a recipe to their clients' specifications.

There's also a few barrel making businesses that build/char to specifications. There's one such in Decatur, Alabama.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like makers

View Quote

I like MM too.  I do like the 46 better than the regular, it just has that little extra flavor.

I picked up a bottle of the cask strength last week and I'm picking up a bottle of the private select tomorrow. I'll probably open them in the next few weeks to see how they are. At $60 for the cask and $70 for the private select they better be decent. Especially since they are in the Blanton's and Bookers price range, 2 of my favorites.

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Blanton's
MM 46
Woodford DO
Four Roses Single bbl and Small batch
Bulliet  10 yr
EW Single bbl
Knob Creek small batch 120
Recently tried the KC ryeand thought it was tasty.
Tried Bookers at CI in Hamburg recently and liked that as well.

If you get a chance go down to KY and visit the distilleries.
Wife and I went down last yr and visited FR, WR, WT, BT.
You can get some reserve bottles that never come to PA.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Bumping up for any newcomers.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Woodford for sipping Evan for drinking
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I have just gotten into drinking bourbon neat or on ice this year. I'm 47. Been doing a ton of research. Read a lot of stuff here. YouTube etc. We did a tasting at a weekend getaway at the cabin a few months back. Had about 17 bourbons.

Here are a few we had plus some more: Bookers, Elmer T Lee, Blanton's, MM 46, Rebel Yell Small Batch, E H Taylor, Four Roses (2 different ones), Eagle Rare, Weller Special Reserve.

The consensus on blind tastes of us (5 of us) was the Weller Special Reserve.

If I had one bourbon I had to pick it would be Weller Special Reserve.

Just picked up a bottle of the 12 year old last week.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Elijah craig barrel proof
Stagg jr, never had regular stagg...its on my bucket list

But the best bourbon goes to single barrel/barrel proof old scout smooth ambler 10 year
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Elijah craig barrel proof
Stagg jr, never had regular stagg...its on my bucket list

But the best bourbon goes to single barrel/barrel proof old scout smooth ambler 10 year
View Quote
+1 on all of the above.  I agree the smooth ambler is a great one.  I recently found a small store that had 2 10 year old and 1 11 year old.  Had to buy them all since they are not being produced any longer
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Jack
Early times
Makers
Gentleman Jack
Colonel Lee
Bulleit
Southshot
Black Powder

I haven't met a bourbon I didn't like.   Jack almost instantly evaporates from my liquor cabinet. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Turkey chased with Beam!
View Quote

I will drink these, but they seem too smooth and sweet, like one would expect if there were "chick bourbon".  
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Bookers and Bulleit. Though there are some that I need to try mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#50]
OGD 114

chances are you guys wouldn't like it though, so don't buy it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top