Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2014 7:24:23 PM EDT
I got a single Merkur blade with the Merkur 34c I bought but it seemed to get dull at around 3 shaves. Even being a novice I noticed that something had changed and tossed the blade.

Switched it out for a Feather last night and for the first time I cut myself, multiple times. Besides that it irritated the rest of my skin afterwards while still using the same razor and shaving soap.

What else is out there thats a good idea to try and see?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I got a single Merkur blade with the Merkur 34c I bought but it seemed to get dull at around 3 shaves. Even being a novice I noticed that something had changed and tossed the blade.

Switched it out for a Feather last night and for the first time I cut myself, multiple times. Besides that it irritated the rest of my skin afterwards while still using the same razor and shaving soap.

What else is out there thats a good idea to try and see?
View Quote

Feathers are great for a heavy beard, but they can be too aggressive for some.

Check out this page for info on some common blades.  It gave me a good starting point when I made the switch.  http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/double-edge-shaving/48-choosing-the-right-blade.html
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like the Personna red pack blades.  They're all I've used in years.  I hear a lot of folks like Astras.  Merkur blades are not well reviewed at all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on Personna reds. Also give Dorco ST301's a try.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:48:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I like Derby and Astra blades.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I switch between Astra SP and Voskhod. Both are available on Amazon in 100 ct. packs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
youtube search for palm stropping

feathers bite me as well and I palm strop them first
to actually tame them a bit... exact opposite of the definition of palm stropping but.. it is what it is

dont discount the feathers completely
they arent my favorite but I have a feather blade that has been in my razor for 20+ shaves
sure its just a fluke but at this point that is insane usage for a single blade
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The Feathers are plenty sharp, but I cut myself too much with them.  My favorite blade (so far) is the the Gillette Platinum.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the Astra blades off Amazon. As cheap as they are I rarely use a blade more than twice.
I generally throw the twice used blades in a small plastic bin as they come in handy for various projects
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I personally use Feather. Haven't had a problem with them but I don't apply any pressure like you're supposed to and just use the weight of the razor. Also, my beard is quite coarse and I have to shave every day.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I gave my father in law a pack of dorcos. Worst blades ever and I told him that.

He loves em.

It's real personal. You just have to try a bunch.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#12]
So far I have tried Wilkinson Sword, Astra, Crystal, and Shark. Crystal has been my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The only blades you will ever need:

Insanely smooth.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:01:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the Personna Blue that are made here in the USA.
I use a 20c as my main razor with various shave soaps.  The Personna blades are somewhat like the Astra SP blades just a touch more expensive
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Red Personna and Super Iridiums for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Derby, Astra, Shark, Personna from Israel in UK packaging (West Coast Shaving), Lord, Crystal (Israel), Feather (wicked sharp).  I, too, had bad luck with Dorco, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I've tried a ton of different blades and my go-to are the Astra SP (Green).  Very sharp yet fairly mild/forgiving.  Be careful around the nose because the corners are left sharp.

Feathers are great for killing some heavy growth when your face has had a break, but you have to use good form and they dull quickly due to the super thin edge.  I find them too aggressive for every day use, but I have sensitive skin.

Israeli/Red Personna are second to Astras.

Crystal and Dorco are my next choice but seem thin like Feathers, yet not as sharp which translates to less smoothness I think because they flex as they bite the hairs.  Maybe the micro-edge isn't as polished or something.

I've had terrible luck with USA/Blue Personnas.  They seem great when the QC is good, but they've been horribly inconsistent in sharpness with entire batches worthless.

Wasn't a huge fan of Gillette blades, however I think I only tried them in a shitty vintage Gillette Tech that I finally realized warped the blades thus tearing up my face with any blade.  Perhaps they're good but I can't imagine they're any better than Astra SP which are cheaper and phenomenally consistent.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top