Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2014 11:33:31 AM EDT
The most common question I get from guys wanting to get a decent watch is, "I have $XXX to spend, what should I get?" That figure is almost always under $500, and typically in the $200 to $300 range. There are countless choices in that range, especially if you scour the secondary market.

However, for purposes of this thread, let's stick to new. Amazon and discount grey market sellers are good to go.

So a friend tells you he has $250 to spend, and he is not budging on that number. He will wear it as a daily, casual to dress casual, rarely if ever with a suit. What do you recommend?

I nominate the Seiko SRP307.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#1]
G-SHOCK.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
G-SHOCK.....
View Quote

Seriously? The most butt-fuck ugly watches known to man? Yes, they have their role, and in that they fucking excel. But as an all-around watch?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Seiko SKX007.

Orient Black Ray.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:12:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:07:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seiko SKX007.

Orient Black Ray.
View Quote

For Orient auto's I prefer the Mako XL

Orient Mako XL

Though OST to see what others posters nominate
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Citizens HTM AW0031-52A
             HTM AW0031-52E
             AR AW1150-07E
             AR AW1151-04E

Sorry for not posting the links.  I'm not sure how to do that.  These are all priced under $250.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just picked up this. Not ugly, does everything, never inaccurate, always has power. Nearly zero maintenance. Nice titanium construction.

PRW-2500T
View Quote

Nice.

I could replace my g-shock with this
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Seiko Stargate is up there for me.  Seiko Stargate  A little more understated than a monster but still has the same good guts/WR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Seriously? The most butt-fuck ugly watches known to man? Yes, they have their role, and in that they fucking excel. But as an all-around watch?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
G-SHOCK.....

If you're looking for a ladies watch just say so.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BL5250-02L-Titanium-Eco-Drive-Leather/dp/B000EQS0WK

It comes on a leather strap but I think it looks best on a bracelet or nato strap.

Can be had for under $250 with a little searching or if you find a sale.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
G-SHOCK.....

Yeah I frequently wear 46mm and 48mm watches. Thy aren't however made of gaudy plastic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Seiko SKX007.

Orient Black Ray.
View Quote

Yes...

" />
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#14]
The Obris Morgan Pradata is pretty sweet for 289.00
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I paid 240$ for a Hamilton Khaki Auto... does that count?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
G-SHOCK.....

Diver's watches are ugly.

All round daily wear, casual?  Get a field watch, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I paid 240$ for a Hamilton Khaki Auto... does that count?
View Quote

Exactly what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the Invictas
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Seiko Orange Monster.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Citizen BM-6400 if you can find one. 200m resist, screw down crown, no battery changes, excellent lume. Even though its been discontinued can still be found. Looks good on any strap, though I prefer Zulu/nato kind.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Tag.

Are there any watch options that are appropriate for more formal dress like a suit or tux that is also a good everyday wear?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tag.

Are there any watch options that are appropriate for more formal dress like a suit or tux that is also a good everyday wear?
View Quote

yeah

automatic divers watch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tag.

View Quote

Orient Bambino
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I paid $82 delivered each for several different Lowen Aficionado watches . Been around 8 months and they have  been rock solid. Stainless Steel, Waterproof to 100m, Swiss Movement, Sapphire crystal, screw back access and butterfly deployment clasp.

I have been happy.

http://precisiontimeco.com/watches/lowen/lw60052-a
I bought one with a white face, grey face and black face.

I bought the Tourismo Chronograph for $100. This is my favorite watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbY6iE3ELV8

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I paid $82 delivered each for several different Lowen Aficionado watches . Been around 8 months and they have  been rock solid. Stainless Steel, Waterproof to 100m, Swiss Movement, Sapphire crystal, screw back access and butterfly deployment clasp.

I have been happy.

View Quote

Lowens are nice. One of my favorites is the Aficianado Sport.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:09:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Wish I could afford to buy all of these beauties.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I recommend the Invicta Men's 0420 Pro Diver Automatic Titanium Watch.  Titanium Auto for $117, can't beat that.

Invicta Titanium Diver
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Another vote for the Seiko SKX007J.
I've had one for 4 years now and it is bullet proof.  Looks as good with a suit as it does out on the dive boat.
I prefer it with a Super Oyster solid end link bracelet, although the rubber diver's strap is pretty good if you boil it first.
Dealt with these guys and was happy with the price, service and delivery time, plus they offer just about every version currently manufactured.

http://chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=3734
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:52:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Even though the plastic strap cracks pretty fast and the crystal scratches easy. I still love that watch.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/HiramRanger/2EB84FCB-A6D5-47F9-8A3F-B62FC500E416_zpshooni5yw.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been happy.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/HiramRanger/2EB84FCB-A6D5-47F9-8A3F-B62FC500E416_zpshooni5yw.jpg

I just ordered a Lowen Aficianado from precisiontimeco. I also received $10 off using the promo code "FREEK"
Looks like a great watch. Can't wait to get it
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I have to agree.

Everyone should have a 007 at some point.

I would like to pick up a SNZF53J1...
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
G-SHOCK.....

I have had Seikos.
I have had Tag-Heuers.
I have had Timexes.
I have had Swiss Army Watches.

But the ONLY watches I have had that stood up to all of the abuse of all the stuff I do was the Casios.
Everything else failed.

They may be ugly, but the things last and they work.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have had Seikos.
I have had Tag-Heuers.
I have had Timexes.

But the ONLY watches I have had that stood up to all of the abuse of all the stuff I do was the Casios.
Everything else failed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
G-SHOCK.....

I have had Seikos.
I have had Tag-Heuers.
I have had Timexes.

Everything else failed.

Like I said, they have their place, and in that role they excel. Most aren't that hard on a watch. Since you can't remotely pull off G-Shock with a jacket and tie, I don't personally consider it an all around watch. In honesty, it's appearance is really its only shortcoming in my book. But as a desk jockey and occasional outdoorsman, that's a big shortcoming for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#35]
My 16 year old Luminox finally took a crippling blow. I smashed the crystal, stepped on it while it was face down on the only pebble on my porch.  I loved that watch.
Are there other choices for a trit. illuminated watch?

ETA- I found the trit. watch thread
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#36]
About a month ago,i picked up my first watch in probably 25 years.
Got a Wenger,Swiss Army field watch in gunmetal.
Seems heavy,but a good watch for $200.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Shit you could get two Vostok SE's for that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Shit you could get two Vostok SE's for that.
View Quote

My first Vostok arrives tomorrow.

I caved.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Which?  I do hope you like it, I 'spect I'd never hear the end of it if you didn't.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#40]
tag
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Which?  I do hope you like it, I 'spect I'd never hear the end of it if you didn't.  
View Quote

Vostok Amphibia 710 in the Ministry case with an aquagreen dial. Seller is changing out the ompas bezel to the numbered dive bezel. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I just ordered another SE.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just ordered another SE.
View Quote

Perfect, you have an extra to send to me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I do actually have a spare blank bezel.  I think it's a 90/100/110 bezel but it *might* work on a 710.

ETA- nevermind, I don't think it will.  The 710 insets the crown a bit, it probably wouldn't seat all the way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#45]
It's a nice looking watch, feels solid. Hate that it's not hand wind and has no quick date set. The wobbly stem is hard to get used to. Wish it had a no date dial.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#46]
You can hand wind it, it's just fiddly to do and you'll never know when it's fully wound.

There are a few no-date models out, some in the SE series, some here and there in the regular amphibias, the SE I just ordered is one of them.

If you have an appropriate tool, try to give the retaining ring on the caseback a snug down.  I've had two new that turned a bit, might've been a bit loose.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My 16 year old Luminox finally took a crippling blow. I smashed the crystal, stepped on it while it was face down on the only pebble on my porch.  I loved that watch.
Are there other choices for a trit. illuminated watch?

ETA- I found the trit. watch thread
View Quote

Link to thread?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I had a Vostok Amphibia with the blue scuba diver face. I really liked it, but it just stopped working one day.

I've currently got an Invicta Pro Diver that's pretty scratched up, I'm thinking I'll replace it with an SKX009.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:30:24 AM EDT
[#49]
One of several I'd have them look at. Sapphire crystal. Obviously accuracy is hit or miss per watch new but my best runner is a sterile watch with a Sea Gull movement. My last Seiko purchase (5oth anniv. spacewalk) is slow 25 seconds a day and seems to struggle to wind itself into anywhere near as long of a reserve.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Well, I almost bought the SKX009 but when I came home today, my friend had sent me a new Parnis auto as a graduation gift.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top