Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 6/15/2015 3:13:27 PM EDT
Hey guys got my dive certification a little over a year ago and I am currently saving up for a boat.  I would like to get something that we be capable for diving, a little fishing, and pulling inner tubes/skis.

Also budget is of course a concern, not sure how much I'm willing to spend so thought I would ask so I can know what my goal will be.  We currently have a 12' jon boat.  I plan on getting rid of it though so would like something that can fill all of those roles.

I have looked at larger jon boats and rigid inflatables.  What would you all recommend?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What ever vessel that's appropriate for the waters that you'll be diving in will probably be suitable. You might have to get a little creative with the entries and exits but you can make it work if you're so inclined.

We use to own a 30 foot sailboat and dove off of that on more than one occasion. We'd usually front roll off the side about midships and would have to doff our gear to climb back aboard then hoist to stuff back onboard. If the seas were very flat then we could climb back onboard the stern ladder, but in truth it was easier using the doff and hoist method.

If we dove off our dingy we found that it was easier to put on mask and fins then back roll and put on our BC in the water. When getting back onboard we'd just reverse the process.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 5:01:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Pontoon boat.

Awesome dive platforms.  Lots of flat, open deck space.  Can be very simple, or huge and elaborate.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Duplicate
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think a pontoon boat would work. As I doubt I could still pull ski and tubes with it. But budget and weight are a concern.  My jeep can only pull 2000 pounds max.

Thanks for the suggestions though
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#5]
23 foot proline (rides rougher then snot in a chop) with a 250 yamaha.

I really don't think diving off a boat that can be towed behind a jeep is realistic unless you have a zodiac and are a navy SEAL
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Darn I have to be a navy seal to own a zodiac?!

Asked my gf if she liked the zodiac, she said eh lol. She wants something that she can catch some rays and pull a tube. Ha
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
We're not seals, but some of the guys could be called walruses.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Where will you be diving?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#9]
where are you diving? ohio?

get a zodiac or similar. a 14' will do.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
PADI Rescue diver here.
How are you gonna get back in it ?

Our Fire Company dive boat is a 16 foot Jon.

We built a dive platform that hinges down 6 inches below the water.
Easy in and out
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pontoon boat.
Awesome dive platforms.  Lots of flat, open deck space.  Can be very simple, or huge and elaborate.
View Quote

In calm water I would think a pontoon boat would be perfect for diving.
Perfect for laying around getting some sun.

As far as water skiing/tubing... watch this

My in laws have a ski boat and a "party" boat, and the party boat is taken out way more.

As far as cost... the prices vary depending on how big and elaborate you're going... and I guess what size motor if you're looking to pull people around.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PADI Rescue diver here.
How are you gonna get back in it ?

Our Fire Company dive boat is a 16 foot Jon.

We built a dive platform that hinges down 6 inches below the water.
Easy in and out
View Quote

Thread hijack..

Are you a Fire dept diver?  Do you guys have PSD certs or just recreational?

Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top