Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2014 7:58:29 AM EDT
What is the benefit of using sub ohms coils, if any?

What gauge wire do you use. How many wraps. Can it be used with SS mesh or ceramic wicks?

Looking to be educated on the topic.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It's mainly for mech mods. With a mech mod you get one voltage. Wrapping a sub-ohm coils allows you to tailor your desired power needs to the mechanical mod, giving you a better vape. They also heat up faster. Most people use cotton as the wick since it keeps up. For wire most people use at least 28g. AFAIK, the whole reasoning behind this is that you can get more surface area with more wire, giving you better vapor, flavor, and throat hit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Being a bit new to this myself - this is the best explanation I've seen about "why" some mess with sub-ohm --

Note: This is from a thread on e-Cig which you can find here .... ECF for more details and the ongoing discussion.

" It comes down to mass/surface area and power. "Drive it"= response time and wire temp. A 32g wire of the same resistance will come up to vape temp much more quickly than 28g ie: less mass. This is the lag that people talk about with lower gauge wire. The other variable is heat sink/evaporative cooling. Since you have more surface area both exposed to air for evaporation and to the wick with material and ejuice (Heat sink), The coil will transfer more heat and the wire will run cooler. This is why people can vape lower guage wires at 25+ watts. No change to ohms law at all.

Hope that was clearer. More detailed explanation here if you are interested: Watts do not matter. Its all about wire temp. Read on… "
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]
... as an example.. I just loaded this into my new AGA-TD. 6 wraps 28ga K getting ~.4 ohms/#500 SS mesh.

It hits big; big throat hit, good cloud and the flavor is really nice.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#4]
So, on my vv mod I am presently using a 32g kanthal wire and ceramic wick, this is producing 2.7 ohms.  I am going to experiment using a 28g wire, should I even bother?

On the other hand, on my mechanical which has a Zenesis 2 with a SS mesh wick, may be the one in which the 28g wire should be used.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So, on my vv mod I am presently using a 32g kanthal wire and ceramic wick, this is producing 2.7 ohms.  I am going to experiment using a 28g wire, should I even bother?

On the other hand, on my mechanical which has a Zenesis 2 with a SS mesh wick, may be the one in which the 28g wire should be used.

What do you guys think?
View Quote
Probably wont work, or at least won't work well on your VV. I was messing with .28 and .9 flat on my Provari.. could not get the ohms above 1 so the PV kept throwing E1 (dead short). Got a mech, now I can play in the land of the "subs".

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
more worried about the battery shorrting and venting than chasing that stupid that is sub ohm.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

more worried about the battery shorrting and venting than chasing that stupid that is sub ohm.
View Quote
Well, I can't see that being too big an issue providing 1. you don't use shitty cheap batteries and 2. your mech is vented and 3. you have normal feeling in your hand and can tell if the mech casing is heating up. Beyond that, if you don't screw the telescope down so tight that it damages the battery case... you would be ok. But, anything can happen ... NDs do occur.

Sub-ohm at your own risk.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Some of the new VV/VW mods will fire sub-ohm coils.  The VTR being one of them.  It doesn't go crazy low, but it's nice to know that it will still fire a coil that is sub-ohm, seeing as how many VV/VW mods won't.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, I can't see that being too big an issue providing 1. you don't use shitty cheap batteries and 2. your mech is vented and 3. you have normal feeling in your hand and can tell if the mech casing is heating up. Beyond that, if you don't screw the telescope down so tight that it damages the battery case... you would be ok. But, anything can happen ... NDs do occur.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the vape resulting from sub-ohms different, or is it just an ego thing?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a hotter vape and more flavorful (YMMV). I am not a cloud chaser but have noticed a difference in flavor. I usually stay at 1.0-1.2 ohms. I have gone to .8 but didn't like it.

I use a 7/6 28ga Kanthal with cotton. Also a safety fuse just in case. All I use are Mechs.

As long as you know ohms law, keep an eye on your good batteries and build a good coil you'll be ok.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is a hotter vape and more flavorful (YMMV). I am not a cloud chaser but have noticed a difference in flavor. I usually stay at 1.0-1.2 ohms. I have gone to .8 but didn't like it.

I use a 7/6 28ga Kanthal with cotton. Also a safety fuse just in case. All I use are Mechs.

As long as you know ohms law, keep an eye on your good batteries and build a good coil you'll be ok.
View Quote

Not trying to be a jerk, but what does keeping an eye on your batteries mean? I'm useing a Vamo V5 atm and I just look for signs of damage or heat when I handle my bats. Is there anything else I shoule look out for? No plans to go sub ohm, just trying to keep my face free of vented battery funk.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not trying to be a jerk, but what does keeping an eye on your batteries mean? I'm useing a Vamo V5 atm and I just look for signs of damage or heat when I handle my bats. Is there anything else I shoule look out for? No plans to go sub ohm, just trying to keep my face free of vented battery funk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think you have it covered really but you might like to watch this MadVapes vid ... pretty instructive about mechs/batteries etc.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
"Keep an eye on the batteries" from a mechanical perspective. Make sure you do not drain below 3.2-3.3 (I usually change batteries at 3.6-3.5). Do not overcharge and stay with known brands (AW, Efest, Panasonic, etc.).
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
"Keep an eye on the batteries" from a mechanical perspective. Make sure you do not drain below 3.2-3.3 (I usually change batteries at 3.6-3.5). Do not overcharge and stay with known brands (AW, Efest, Panasonic, etc.).
View Quote

Another question, how do you how for to drain a bat with a mechanical mod?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:13:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guesstimate.

For me, the hit gets so weak way before 3.2v in a mech that I've never worried too much about draining below 3.2v, because I would swap in a fresh battery to get a better hit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Guesstimate.

For me, the hit gets so weak way before 3.2v in a mech that I've never worried too much about draining below 3.2v, because I would swap in a fresh battery to get a better hit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guesstimate.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#17]
^^^ Thanks guys, thats what i thought but knowing is half the battle.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's true:

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Guesstimate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guesstimate.

I don't see any other way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't be afraid of carrying a digital multimeter in your vape gear. I did for a while but I use a backpack for work, lol! Now I just carry a Vamo in mini mode and take reads when the vape feels weak. You'll get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true:

http://presentations.patrickbyrne.net/assets/knowing-is-half-the-battle/other-half-7cd53ca7d6f85f87f5190463b7e82624.png

+100 internets to you good sir.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guesstimate.

I just change the battery every day .  Seems to work out so far.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#23]
What makes the best flavor, more or less coils? I have 28, 30 and 32g Kanthal. I'm currently using a 3/32 SS mesh wick rolled very tight with 28g and 10 wraps at 1.5O
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What makes the best flavor, more or less coils? I have 28, 30 and 32g Kanthal. I'm currently using a 3/32 SS mesh wick rolled very tight with 28g and 10 wraps at 1.5O
View Quote

Get rid of that SS wick and replace with cotton. You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I've used cotton before. I use cotton, SS mesh, Silica, Ekowool, Ceramic and AO wicks. I find that I need to change my wick types to keep the flavor. Its weird that I lose flavor when I use a certain type of wick for long periods. So I just keep changing them when I lose the flavor. I use 2 different liquid daily.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've used cotton before. I use cotton, SS mesh, Silica, Ekowool, Ceramic and AO wicks. I find that I need to change my wick types to keep the flavor. Its weird that I lose flavor when I use a certain type of wick for long periods. So I just keep changing them when I lose the flavor. I use 2 different liquid daily.
View Quote

Are you using micro coils?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, Just close wrapped.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, Just close wrapped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, Just close wrapped.

Try micro coils with cotton. It'll knock your socks off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top