Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2019 5:31:07 PM EDT
I'm just a regular guy, not a manufacturer, and I want to build a civilian-legal reproduction of a non-civilian weapon.

I want to ask the ATF to certify that it's NFA legal before I build something.

I have to send it in.

How the hell am I supposed to build it to send it in to make sure it's legal without risking breaking the law if it's determined not to be NFA legal?

Fuckin' ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If you believe there's a chance it could be a NFA item just get the appropriate stamp before building it
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
I'm just a regular guy, not a manufacturer, and I want to build a civilian-legal reproduction of a non-civilian weapon.

I want to ask the ATF to certify that it's NFA legal before I build something.

I have to send it in.

How the hell am I supposed to build it to send it in to make sure it's legal without risking breaking the law if it's determined not to be NFA legal?

Fuckin' ridiculous.
View Quote
Most people intending to do this kind of R&D would get a manufacturer's FFL, pay for the Class 2 SOT, then build and register the item before sending it in for classification. If it comes back as "not NFA" then the registration is simply voided, and no laws have been broken.

If it's not a machinegun, you could still do that without a 07 FFL and C2 SOT, by getting an NFA stamp for the thing you think the item might be, first, then sending it in for determination. If it's determined to not be the NFA thing, you'll get your stamp money back, eventually. Again, no laws have been broken.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top