Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2015 8:24:40 PM EDT
I started from a canning pot and extract kits. Now I buy hops buy the pound (usually 5-6 lbs at a time) and grain by the bag, but Im about to start buying pallets.

Problem is I cannot mash more than 13 gallons. Normal brews have 27# of grain + water. I do 10%+ IPA's but I would like to do more.

I ferment in sankey kegs, so I can do 40 -50 gallons at time if I need to.

Basically I'm limited by a mash tun size. I currently use a sankey keg wrapped in styrofoam which holds w/n 2 degrees even in winter.

What would be a good barrel or 2 barrel mash tun?

here's current set up

the grey thing is a sankey keg wrapped in 2" stryrofoam, it now has a 2" stryrofoam lid as well
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You could buy a stainless 55g barrel and weld on whatever fittings you want, then insulate with foam.  

I wish you were my friend
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could buy a stainless 55g barrel and weld on whatever fittings you want, then insulate with foam.  

I wish you were my friend
View Quote

hmmmmmmmmm......
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen microbreweries with setups about your size.  

Megapot makes a 30 gallon pot.  Anything larger than that and you're knocking on the door of commercial brewing equipment.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't the limit per year 200 gallons? While I'm sure the ATF reads this site I'm pretty sure they are looking for extra holes in AR lower threads, or illegal shoe lace sales... Do you want to chance it>?

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Isn't the limit per year 200 gallons? While I'm sure the ATF reads this site I'm pretty sure they are looking for extra holes in AR lower threads, or illegal shoe lace sales... Do you want to chance it>?

View Quote

I don't know if that's true.  If you have a statute post it, I think it is only certain states though.

I hope TaylorWSO is having big parties and giving loads of beer to friends, because if he is hitting most of that himself and "10 gallons isn't enough" he needs a 12 step program!
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#6]
My quick looking last night says it varies by state.  GA looked like 50 gallons.

Then again, how would anyone know if you weren't distributing widely?

Interestingly, it's also typically legal for a minor to brew, but they can't pitch yeast.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't know if that's true.  If you have a statute post it, I think it is only certain states though.

I hope TaylorWSO is having big parties and giving loads of beer to friends, because if he is hitting most of that himself and "10 gallons isn't enough" he needs a 12 step program!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is. US CFR 25.205 http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=0e0d6143502cbb948d782dbd368dd81a&node=27:1.0.1.1.20&rgn=div5#se27.1.25_1205

(b) The production of beer per household, without payment of tax, for personal or family use may not exceed:

(1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults residing in the household, or
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Could move up to commercial equipment and start a brew pub because it sounds like your wanting to get into that territory.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Or convert a bigass cooler into a mash tun. There are some big coolers that hold close to 30 gallons.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Could move up to commercial equipment and start a brew pub because it sounds like your wanting to get into that territory.
View Quote

I asked the microbrewery that was doing half barrel or full barrel brews (I forget which) about licensing from a federal perspective.  I think they said it was $3000 just to get permission to brew.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Then you also have state and county extortion fees.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
So, here is some googling on the topic:

https://conical-fermenter.com/Mash-Tuns/

BLAB:  It's pretty expensive to set up a brewery.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think starting a brew pub is a great idea just because one likes to brew.  Brewing is probably only 25% or so of the actual daily activity of running a pub. (if that)  Better be a good businessman, manager, and service type food/beverage/restaurant operator.

Good catch on whoever posted the 200 gallon rule above!  I had always seen hearsay but never seen it confirmed (federally)...not something I would worry terribly about if OP is not selling any beer though to be honest, YMMV.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

well that didnt' take long to be accused of a fellon.

In 3 years Ive only gotten to 435 gallons. and Im well aware of the restrictions

even with a 30 gall tun, brewing a avg of .8 a month, you only hit 200 gallons.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

to hell with that, its all mine

I want a bigger gear so I can spend less time doing it.

It takes 3 hours to brew 5 gallons

It take 3 hrs to brew 10 gallons

it will also take 3 hours to brew 20 gallons (maybe a little more with longer sparges but you get the idea).

I would like to spend 1 day to get better results and not give up every other weekend. I also dont like to get behind which is a problem

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Or convert a bigass cooler into a mash tun. There are some big coolers that hold close to 30 gallons.
View Quote

I want something better than a cooler. My tun will only deviate 1-2 degrees in the winter. In the summer it doesn't change.

I can recirculate but I would rather not and the IPAs I brew don't require a step. I have all my numbers down and hit my temps with 2 degrees. A well insulated SS vessel just works alot better IMO.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So, here is some googling on the topic:

https://conical-fermenter.com/Mash-Tuns/

BLAB:  It's pretty expensive to set up a brewery.
View Quote

Thats what I want to avoid. a 30 gallon tank w/o insulations is 600+ I can get a 30 gallon steel pot with lid for 140 on ebay. All I have to do is drill a bottom hole, add a screen.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you looked into used dairy equipment?

Also ask around at the scrape yards, a friend of mine bought some stuff(not for brewing)for scrape price.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I think most people that homebrew more than 10gal or half barrel batches go on to 1 barrel batches in a three vessel single tier setup of these (in the 180qt / 45gal size)...
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Remember OP, the more thermal mass you have, the less insulation you will need to hold temp, and I doubt you would see much difference in the final beer if you started at say, 153 and dropped to 149 at the end of the mash (if even that much).  So you may just need a barrel sized vessel of some kind, insulation be damned.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think most people that homebrew more than 10gal or half barrel batches go on to 1 barrel batches in a three vessel single tier setup of these (in the 180qt / 45gal size)...
View Quote

that what im looking at.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Remember OP, the more thermal mass you have, the less insulation you will need to hold temp, and I doubt you would see much difference in the final beer if you started at say, 153 and dropped to 149 at the end of the mash (if even that much).  So you may just need a barrel sized vessel of some kind, insulation be damned.
View Quote

if you brew in winter you will either have to insulate or recirculate. even 20 gallons will drop more than 4 degrees
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I found you a possible spot to look for goodies?

http://discussions.probrewer.com/forumdisplay.php?103-Used-Nano-Brewing-Equipment&s=72e069e7e1ae143638b1ef487c794ed8

I bet there are a lots of folks finding out nano-size is hard work to make money at and upgrading :)

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#24]
A while back there was this guy named Walt who ended up buying into a brew shop in Fort Carson, Co (it is closed now ) He brewed HUGE batches for the same reason to spend less time brewing and more time drinking. He loved high gravity beer too.

Walt Brews

Walt's Lama Brewery
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

that what im looking at.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that what im looking at.

I just bought the 30 gallon version of this and am getting the fittings welded in this week, I hope.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm late to the party, but the answer you seek is a 55 gal Blichmann boilermaker. Not the cheapest solution, but at the nano where I brewed had no issues cranking out over a barrel at a time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Well, I've never seen a BIABasket system that big...or expensive.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top