Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 2:58:37 PM EDT
I finally got it done. My original aidea was to get it done as cheap as possible by doing the work. I brewed a golden strong last week and beat efficiency by .05 and pretty much stoked.
I have a tig so I did all the welding myself.
Boil kettle: basic keggle with 300 mesh hop spider from utahbiodiesel. Cool thing is the dip tube is copper pieces that I tig'd together- no solder!!
HLT: You can see I went with a bottom drain with the keg flipped upside down. Used 1/2" SS x10" pipe, tapped into the neck of the sanke keg spout, welded a cap on from flat stock. Dont have any left over water when I'm done so no messing with the HLT. Site glass was a SS elbow welded on, with a piece of 3/4 lexan from Mcmaster Carr (cost about 6 bucks each), Threaded the plasic and screwed it in. My buddy will cut out some numbers on his vinyl machine on of these days. The coil is a 3/8" wort chiller. I originally was going with 1/2 SS tubing and plumb it out the side to make a permanent HLT. 1 the tubing was too hard to bend so I shitcanned the idea, and 2, the wort chiller is now multi use If I need it to be. Note I welded a barb and quick connect on the wort chiller to make it easy to attach. I recommend using a wort chiller vs a dedicated HLT.
I usually run the herms for last 15 minutes or so, then I sparge with
the HLT running the hot water through the coil then into the tank- no
cleanup!!  The sparge sprayer is a piece of 1/2 stainless steel tube
with 12x1/16" holes drilled in it that fits through a hole in the lid. Quiet the eloquent setup.
Mash tun is a Keg, bottom draining, with jaybird false bottom. You can't really see but both the HLT and mash tun have 1/4 stainless steel tubing welded into the keg so I can stick a digital thermo in there, or a PIDs probe later on if I decide I need to go automatic.
The Keg has been wrapped in 2" styrofoam (sides/bottom), that was cut in strips, and then filled in with spray foam. The front looks worse than the back but I coated it with some siliconized rubber roof paint I had. Once heated with a normal brew It will only loose a couple degrees on a cold day even without the herms. With it, it very controlled and I don't get big temp swings  
I went with 2 brewstands vs One. 1. I didn't want the mash tun next to the burners, and 2. I wanted to be able us my burner tables for fish frys/cookouts. Stand was only 50 bucks with wheels costing 20. It heavy duty 2 " square tubing with 3/4 round bar to hold the kegs. My stand for the mash tun is a old base to my komodo grill that I re-welded with plastic shelves. The paint is the ultra high temp that doest burn, even in the direct blast of the burners
You don't see a plate chiller that I clamp to the square tubing under the boil kettle for wort chilling. Grinder-its a 1954 coffee mill that weighs about 150lbs and is all cast. I have to use 2 cups rice hulls per brew but I get good efficiency from it.

The backside of the stand. I used black steel for the burners connected to custom crimped tube(I have a crimper) a most importantly a place to hang the gas so I can wheel the entire thing around fully loaded. The burners are just 10 dollar bayou classic that scream like the jet I fly.
I really like it. Its a lot smaller than a 3 place stand that most have and can cook other things if needed.
Bottomline its so nice hitting a switch

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice. Wish I could weld.
Brew on!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top