Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2013 7:00:11 AM EDT
I've used Midwest and Austin Homebrew Supply. You can't beat the prices and options at ABS and the free shipping, though I've actually had better results I feel with the Midwest kits. So far I've only drank my extract batches, but my first partial mash will be bottled in a few days and that's from AHS  so we will see.

Anyone else have an opinion? I'm still pretty new to this so opinions are welcome.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#1]
AHS is the best online vendor I've used so far.

The prices are fair,and the shipping charges are $4.99 flat-rate.

They always have everything I order in-stock,and they ship same day as I order.

My last order was almost $400,and weighed over 80 lbs in multiple boxes-all for $4.99 total shipping.

Northern Brewer wanted over $45 just to ship the same items
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like they just raised the flat-rate charge to $6.99 per order.

Still a great deal on shipping,especially on big and heavy brewing supplies.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm new to brewing and have just recently started. I use Adventures in Homebrewing for my supplies. They have 2 stores within an hour of my house, and have $5 two day shipping in MI (bulky or fragile items may have a surcharge, carboys are $2 extra each, but a 5 gallon glass carboy is only $20 right now).

I'm going to look into Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew, and Midwest. Those seem to be the biggest players. Plus that $6.99 shipping from AHS sounds good
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I use to order strictly from Midwest but I've switched to Austin Homebrew because it's just plain cheaper.  I live an hour and a half from Norther Brewer and it's always $15 to ship anything to me no matter what.  Can't go wrong with Austin Homebrew.  If you see a kit on Midwest or Norther Brewer you want to try just build it on Austin Homebrews site...it's usually cheaper!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
AHS and Midwest I have to say are pretty good. Had 1 bad batch w/ AHS, but I think its cause I let the LME sit for a couple of months in the cabinet. Turns out that stuff needs to be used quickly.

Be careful w/ midwest during the summer. The heat can burn up your yeast.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AHS and Midwest I have to say are pretty good. Had 1 bad batch w/ AHS, but I think its cause I let the LME sit for a couple of months in the cabinet. Turns out that stuff needs to be used quickly.

Be careful w/ midwest during the summer. The heat can burn up your yeast.

View Quote

I harvest my yeast so I have a bunch of different strains in the fridge, no worries
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#7]
it's nice having Austin Homebrew on my travel route home from work

Too bad they don't have everything they list online in the store though....

I AM LOOKING AT YOU BLICHMANN BURNER!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I switch between Midwest and Northern.  I've had good experiences with both.  I have not tried Austin.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I use AHS and Northern.

I like Northern's kits because everything is in a per kit box.
AHS kits, if you order 3, come in a big box with everything labeled, but jumbled together.

But that being said, AHS has many more kits, and their clones of commercial beers are awesome!  So I have ordered more kits from AHS.
I have their juniper rye kit right now. Off the wall stuff like that is just not found at Northern.
You can spend HOURS here looking through commercial clone kits. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_452_43
I have done a few and they all have been as good, if not better than the commercial beer.

I like how Northern has the PDF for their kits online so you can actually look at the recipe and decide if you want it, or if you want to order parts to tweak it.
Austin, you don't know until you get it, and you better not lose the directions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top