Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2012 3:53:49 AM EDT
Just saw a clip about it on F&F. Apparently its a favorite and the homebrewers are trying to get the recipe.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just saw a clip about it on F&F. Apparently its a favorite and the homebrewers are trying to get the recipe.....

What style is it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
American honey amber ale is what Obama's crew made back in '09.

They used amber LME, Cascade, and 1 pound of wildflower honey from the rose garden hive, IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 5:59:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Can we use the Freedom of Information Act to score the recipe?
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a good brew but....

He didn't brew that!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good brew but....

He didn't brew that!!!!!

Damn right he didn't..

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can we use the Freedom of Information Act to score the recipe?

I'm pretty sure the petition has already been started, IIRC they needed 20k signatures.

I heard on the radio today that they have a few styles and just released the recipe for "Ale to the Chief".
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Here it is

Recipes
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Northern Brewer already has the kits available. I'll pass, I don't want any part of anything associated with this administration.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If Obama has anything to do with it,I will pass!
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#10]
But don't you want to experience what's it's like to be the smuggest asshole in the US and make decisions with feelings instead of facts?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:06:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Why is this crap getting so much play?

I swear there are 300 thread saying the same thing at homebrewtalk.

nice distraction is what I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure home brewers aren't too high on the White House's political propaganda radar.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure home brewers aren't too high on the White House's political propaganda radar.

I would think the same, but its just odd that it is popping up everywhere I look.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#14]
OK, so I brewed up a batch of the White House Honey Porter and thought I’d give a review:

Appearance – At first pour there was a lot of lively bubbling and a thick head but after a very short time it went completely flat.  There was some residual bubble head but it was scattered and not coherent.

I expected a better color balance between the light malt extract and the darker grains but the brew color is definitely on the dark side.  I’m sure that will appeal to some people.

Aroma – Very strong scent of Wright and Ayers hops which is very typical of the bitter Chicago-style brews.  There is some masking of this bitterness with the use of government honey and Hawaiian flavors but the odor seems somewhat rotten as if something wasn’t quite right..

Taste – Despite the hype and expense there is very little taste.  In addition to being flat and tasteless it is also very weak.  Overall the flavor just doesn’t work.

When I contacted the White House they said that all my problems with this beer were due to the effects of the last batch I brewed (a Busch-clone). They also said I should try again and let the brew condition for 4 years to ensure full success.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK, so I brewed up a batch of the White House Honey Porter and thought I’d give a review:

Appearance – At first pour there was a lot of lively bubbling and a thick head but after a very short time it went completely flat.  There was some residual bubble head but it was scattered and not coherent.

I expected a better color balance between the light malt extract and the darker grains but the brew color is definitely on the dark side.  I’m sure that will appeal to some people.

Aroma – Very strong scent of Wright and Ayers hops which is very typical of the bitter Chicago-style brews.  There is some masking of this bitterness with the use of government honey and Hawaiian flavors but the odor seems somewhat rotten as if something wasn’t quite right..

Taste – Despite the hype and expense there is very little taste.  In addition to being flat and tasteless it is also very weak.  Overall the flavor just doesn’t work.

When I contacted the White House they said that all my problems with this beer were due to the effects of the last batch I brewed (a Busch-clone). They also said I should try again and let the brew condition for 4 years to ensure full success.

Good one :)
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What you did there..... We're seeing it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Please log into the Northern Brewer website and post this review

Link Posted: 9/12/2012 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Bwhahwhahahwaaahhaha.....You sir , win the internets for today.
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Awesome review!
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I posted it at Home Brew Talk and it was deleted.  I think Yooper is a lib.
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

90% of that site are beard growing, hash smoking hippies (minus the beard on Yooper)

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

90% of that site are beard growing, hash smoking hippies (minus the beard on Yooper)

What did you think most homebrewers were?
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What did you think most homebrewers were?

Oh, I know what most of them are..one visit to the local supply shop, or craft brewery fortifies that belief.

I know a half dozen home brewers around here and they are all pretty conservative.

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 7:54:48 AM EDT
[#25]
We need to set up an open carry brew day. ;)  I have plenty of room here on the farm!
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#27]
My father switched boats on me at some point and was all excited to try making this beer. Maybe it was just me, but didn't it seem like the initial amounts of steeping water/sparge water were mixed? I can't steep that much grain in like 2 pints of water! Either way, the beer itself is deceiving. Expected something a little more.... porter like. It's not awful, but it is unremarkable. I'd make it again with some modifications to add a little more flavor/abv. Now that I think about it though, if everyone is getting free "obama-phones", can I get a voucher for free obama beer? I think the ingredients cost me damn near $40!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Northern Brewer already has the kits available. I'll pass, I don't want any part of anything associated with this administration.

+1000

FBHO
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm brewing a batch of the White House Honey Porter.  I got the kit from Norther Brewer.  The starter will be underway in about 3 hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top