Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2012 8:31:28 AM EDT
I haven't loaded SETI at home on a computer in about 10 years, prob a windows 2000 machine was the last thing I had it on.

Should I load it up again? What's new with it? I played with some of the add on software that showed where the signal packets came from in the sky but never got much out of the software. Didn't seem interactive enough to keep my interests, like watching paint dry.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a fairly new computer but now card, only onboard video.
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 3:21:40 AM EDT
[#4]
What can you do with a video card? What are the more interactive add-ons?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 4:05:27 AM EDT
[#5]

The video card runs SETI in a massively parallel mode.  Don't think of it as a video card, this of it as an array of many CPUs, each doing SETI work in parallel.

SETI on CUDA
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The video card runs SETI in a massively parallel mode.  Don't think of it as a video card, this of it as an array of many CPUs, each doing SETI work in parallel.

SETI on CUDA

Yep basically this.

To keep it simple, compare the same task on two mediums.  The task will take about 5 minutes on a GTX 560ti.  The same task takes 3.5 hours on my hex core AMD processor.  

The good news about CPU crunching is you can utilize the Astropulse system which searches not only more sky and a higher frequency range but also looks for phenomenon other than ET such as Pulsars, Quasars and similar.  You can run one task per CPU core typically and they take between 12-15 hours on a decent CPU.

I might have to go download this.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

SETI on CUDA

Yep basically this.

To keep it simple, compare the same task on two mediums.  The task will take about 5 minutes on a GTX 560ti.  The same task takes 3.5 hours on my hex core AMD processor.  

The good news about CPU crunching is you can utilize the Astropulse system which searches not only more sky and a higher frequency range but also looks for phenomenon other than ET such as Pulsars, Quasars and similar.  You can run one task per CPU core typically and they take between 12-15 hours on a decent CPU.

I might have to go download this.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php  Download the 6.10.60 version as it runs quite a bit smoother.

Once downloaded open Boinc, > Tools > Add a project then follow it from there.   If you run into any questions, I'm here to help

Do you work with or for seti?   I'd love to hear about it.    I just saw a show with Phil Plait where he talked with some guys at seti.   Its cool stuff
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I miss the days when I could run SETI@home on my second-tier computers and fileservers, just letting it run as a pretty screensaver (the pre-BOINC system).  

Link Posted: 8/5/2012 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I miss the days when I could run SETI@home on my second-tier computers and fileservers, just letting it run as a pretty screensaver (the pre-BOINC system).  

The results are in.

I wanted to load it again a few months ago. Figured my fairly new computer would run pretty fast. Wrong, took 8 hours to run a packet. So did some more reading, the Cuda seti will run packets in about 5 min, problem is you need a CUDA compliant graphics card. So I took a trip to CompUSA. Was looking for a cheap graphics card. The one I looked at said I needed a 400 watt power supply. The power supply on my computer is 350w. I probably could have gotten away with installing the card but it was all turning in to a big hassle.

Back to SETI though.

There are a ton of other research projects that you can also run, the least of which is some BS global warming data bs that I would only download to try and sabotage in some way!
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There are a ton of other research projects that you can also run, the least of which is some BS global warming data bs that I would only download to try and sabotage in some way!

a.)  the system is designed to detect just such "sabotage" and exclude your packets.

b.)  if you think research is something you should "sabotage" because of political views, you probably ought to stay away from research altogether.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

a.)  the system is designed to detect just such "sabotage" and exclude your packets.
b.)  if you think research is something you should "sabotage" because of political views, you probably ought to stay away from research altogether.

Why so serious people?

I'm not messing with my computer to run SETI which was the only project on there in which I had any interest.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 7:54:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The results are in.

I wanted to load it again a few months ago. Figured my fairly new computer would run pretty fast. Wrong, took 8 hours to run a packet. So did some more reading, the Cuda seti will run packets in about 5 min, problem is you need a CUDA compliant graphics card. So I took a trip to CompUSA. Was looking for a cheap graphics card. The one I looked at said I needed a 400 watt power supply. The power supply on my computer is 350w. I probably could have gotten away with installing the card but it was all turning in to a big hassle.

Back to SETI though.

Few things:

1. Please don't sabotage other projects.  That's just silly and as KY mentioned, your work will get tossed due to the quorum most projects require.  

2. A new 1000W PSU is only about $100.  1000W will run your full machine + two high end cards.

3. S&H CPU apps range from 2hr to 8hrs on a good CPU with Astropulse taking between 12-24hr ea.  GPU time on these tasks range from 3 mins to 18 with AP clocking in from 20-40M running single tasks.

I picked up a GeForce 8400 GS card yesterday. Its a 256 MB CUDA compliant card with open GL. I reinstalled SETI and I see nothing to indicate a that it is running the CUDA version. What gives? Looks like the work packet says Seti @home Enhanced 6.3....

I'm running a Windows 7 64bit machine. I installed it as a non-protected software..
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The results are in.

Back to SETI though.

Few things:

1. Please don't sabotage other projects.  That's just silly and as KY mentioned, your work will get tossed due to the quorum most projects require.  

2. A new 1000W PSU is only about $100.  1000W will run your full machine + two high end cards.

3. S&H CPU apps range from 2hr to 8hrs on a good CPU with Astropulse taking between 12-24hr ea.  GPU time on these tasks range from 3 mins to 18 with AP clocking in from 20-40M running single tasks.

I picked up a GeForce 8400 GS card yesterday. Its a 256 MB CUDA compliant card with open GL. I reinstalled SETI and I see nothing to indicate a that it is running the CUDA version. What gives? Looks like the work packet says Seti @home Enhanced 6.3....

I'm running a Windows 7 64bit machine. I installed it as a non-protected software..

Go to the SETI forum.  Log in.  Click Account, then SETI at Home Preferences (middle of page).  Then check to see which are ticked off "Use CPU, Use ATI GPU or Use GPU"  You'll want the Nvidia GPU option and maybe CPU if you'd like.

I gave up on that card, took it back. It only met the minimal requirements and Boinc was not picking it up b/c the available memory was reading under 256 mb.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The results are in.

Back to SETI though.

Few things:

Go to the SETI forum.  Log in.  Click Account, then SETI at Home Preferences (middle of page).  Then check to see which are ticked off "Use CPU, Use ATI GPU or Use GPU"  You'll want the Nvidia GPU option and maybe CPU if you'd like.

I gave up on that card, took it back. It only met the minimal requirements and Boinc was not picking it up b/c the available memory was reading under 256 mb.

Ah okay.  You might want to pick up a used 560ti or something similar.  They shouldn't cost more than $200.

No, it's got to be cheap cheap cheap. The card I took back was $10. I don't use my computer for gaming so a the only reason to buy one would be to play with the SETI@home. If I can't pick a card up for no more than $25 then I'm not bothering.

I was just checking through compusa, they got a Zotac gefoce 210 1gig DDR3. I'm thinking that might do.

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay, so picked up a EVGA geforce 210 1gig DDR3 for $30

Installed and running. It just made the project times go from 6 hrs down to about 25 minutes. I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This, I remember about ten years ago I installed it on ALL the pc's at work and set them to run only after hours, my units CRANKED way up !!

The comptroller was not amused.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#23]
That boinc program is the suck. Finicky about cards regardless of whether they are NVIDIA compliant. It generates errors in the work units if you stop and restart the projects.

I've resorted to pausing the program and uninstalling boinc before I shut down my computer, then I reinstall when I turn my system on. If I don't do this, then the work units will error out when I turn my computer on and boinc restarts. However, I'm not sure it is really working, because it seems like most of the work units become inconclusive after I restart my system the first time.

And no one at SETI seems to be working on fixing the problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top