Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2011 12:38:08 PM EDT
I'm in calc III, and I'm raping it! I've currently got a 98 average in the class, and I'm learning everything with great ease. If Diff Eq/Linear Algebra goes half as easily, I'll definitely be taking more math classes. I'm not sure what it is, but I love this class, my instructor being a BAMF probably has quite a bit to do with it.

Anyone else have a "mathematical awakening"? Was it squashed in later classes?
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a mathematical awakening in 1st grade. I was squashed in my first algebra class. I suck at math.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#2]
PICTURES??????
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
DiffyQ's was more fun than multivariable, but I remember that linear algebra sucked.

Just my opinion, others in my L/A class ate that stuff up.

My instructor for M/V and D/Q was Dr Bunsen Honeydew of MuppetLabs.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought lineal algebra was the easiest class of all my college math.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm in calc III, and I'm raping it! I've currently got a 98 average in the class, and I'm learning everything with great ease. If Diff Eq/Linear Algebra goes half as easily, I'll definitely be taking more math classes. I'm not sure what it is, but I love this class, my instructor being a BAMF probably has quite a bit to do with it.

i hate you
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Linear Algebra kicked my ass.  Computer graphics also kicked my ass for the same reason.  Matrices and me do not get along.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i hate you

Are you in Calc I? That class nearly killed me. I got through with Khan academy and Patrickjmt off of youtube.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate you too. I am terrible at math. And of course my major is full of it
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Calc and linear algebra and DiffEq are all really easy.  The fun stuff is Partial Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems.

Hardest math class I took but it sure felt amazing after failing the first test and then ending up with a B- at the end.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Calc III was okay for me, but Linear Algebra is what made me decide to be a math major.  It was all much easier after that - the one exception being topology.
Generally, the more math you take, the more it all seems connected and the easier it is to learn.
Ended up with a masters in mathematics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Math never did add up for me.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#12]
They don't know how to teach math anymore. It is accepting the laws of math, a good basis of pre algebra, geometry and trig to prepare you for Calculus and Differential Equations. If you want to be an engineer you need it. Math is no different from baseball or any athletic endeavor. You need to take batting practice to hit fastballs and curveballs, just like doing math problems. If you don't take BP or do math problems you won't be good at it. I had some good math teachers and some stiffs. Math will not come to you, you have to work a lot of problems.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
, you have to work a lot of problems.

You got that right! When I finally figured that out, I started getting A's.  Want to get good at it?  Do all the odd problems in your book.

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought lineal algebra was the easiest class of all my college math.

I loved Linear Algebra so much I took four classes on it.

Euclidean n-space is my bitch! Or at least it was about 7 years ago before I forgot it all
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Engineering and technical jobs today are all about government regulations and politics...

...So THERE!  

math smartypants
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Start running stress and strain matrices and get back to us.
And friggin trig functions.

That dreaded Del Operator always spooked me.

Link Posted: 10/27/2011 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Engineering and technical jobs today are all about government regulations and politics...

...So THERE!  

math smartypants
You are just jelly of the Engineering and Maintenance depts at workSeriously helping my grandson is where I found out that the education system, especially teaching math, has gone down the terlet

Link Posted: 10/27/2011 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Wait till you find out what a tensor is and how to manipulate them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 6:30:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I loved Linear Algebra so much I took four classes on it.
Euclidean n-space is my bitch! Or at least it was about 7 years ago before I forgot it all

Quote of the Day

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Calc 2 was always the "weed out" class, most people drop from engineering in our school due to calc 2. But once you pass it, calc 3 and 4 are child's play.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Calc 2 was always the "weed out" class, most people drop from engineering in our school due to calc 2. But once you pass it, calc 3 and 4 are child's play.
The engineering weed out above is probably true of the more motivated survivors from Calc I.

But we went from something like 54 people in class on the first day of Calc I to me and 6 other people.

It was amazing how many people had no clue how to do basic maths, let alone 'Algebra'.

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The engineering weed out above is probably true of the more motivated survivors from Calc I.

But we went from something like 54 people in class on the first day of Calc I to me and 6 other people.
It was amazing how many people had no clue how to do basic maths, let alone 'Algebra'.

Differential Equations stemmed the tide back in the early 80's at CCNY

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#23]
DiffEqs is fun, current avg is 99 , took it out of sequence I guess from Calc III (AKA applied engineering mathematics) which is next semester.  It also helps to have an awesome prof, but doing the problems is key. Now just for the final.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 3:28:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait a sec.... Calc I can have less than 100 people in it? Don't say its the same for Calc II and Classical Physics I & 2!

With what the OP is asking, I struggled a bit with Calc II, had to work my ass off for a C, but was A's for the rest of my math classes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:33:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I sucked at calcIII but am ripping diffy qs a new one

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top