Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2016 12:25:08 PM EDT
TL:DR

Winner: Red Boat (Vietnam)
Loser:   Three Crabs (Hong Kong/Thailand)
Best Buy: Tiparos (Thailand)

Our Daily Brine taste-tested thirteen brands of fish sauce. The surprising loser (as in absolutely dead last) was "Three Crabs" which is surprising because it has a reputation for being good.

https://ourdailybrine.com/fish-sauce-taste-test/

The brand I use at home is "Taste of Thai" which is easily found in most supermarkets. Have no idea if it's "good" or "bad".

Fish sauce does not have an infinite shelf life. If you don't use a lot buy smaller size bottles.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They're all bad.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
No true... While i am not a huge fan, they are great in small quantities. Add a dash to chicken salad or any other protein and they really add a lot of "umami" or bring out the flavor of other proteins.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Fish sauce is an incredibly versatile ingredient that is often overlooked in the US.

I got into the habit of using it about 5 years ago, and haven't looked back--I put fish sauce in when I make stewed greens, now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I love 3 crabs, but then again, I like fishiness. Anchovies on pizza is heaven for me, as is nuoc cham made with 3 crabs.

I have and use Red Boat. It tastes "better" the first day it is opened, but a week later, it is as fishy as 3 crabs and is far more salty. Only if you freeze the Red Boat does it stay tasting better than 3 crabs. IMO, it's not worth the extra money because I never use a full bottle of fish sauce in one day and it's too inconvenient to use when frozen. YMMV and all that.

Did you notice what fish sauce the Thai chick in the videos for the other thread was using? Squid Brand, one go the two that failed the test those white boys did. In another video, she recommends Three Crabs. No mention of Red Boat. LOL. Thais aren't afraid of a little fishiness. That is entirely the point.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 2:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]
no thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Umami!

Most writers I see recommend Red Boat.  I am not surprised to see it ranked #1.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I call BS on this so called taste test! You don't buy fish sauce based on how it smells, or tastes on its own! Not only that but you use different fish sauces for different applications! Three Crabs works great in curry, and other dishes as a flavor enhancer. But you wouldn't want it (as a first choice)in a dipping sauce. That's where the lighter more expensive fish sauces come in handy.

Three Crabs FTW!
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I buy the cheapest.  There are always 25 choices.  I haven't picked a bad one yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Almost any soy based marinade can benefit from several drops of fish sauce.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Before I clicked on the link I asked myself how long it would take before they bring up the pretentious "UMAMI"

It took six words before they got there. Six words. Couldn't even wait a complete sentence.

I usually buy Squid brand, but Red Boat is good too.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Three Crabs Brand.

Though, I use it mostly to make kimchi so the finer points of flavor aren't particularly important.

I use the oil from cans of anchovies as oil for salad dressing sometimes so maybe I should fish sauce other places.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Before I clicked on the link I asked myself how long it would take before they bring up the pretentious "UMAMI"

It took six words before they got there. Six words. Couldn't even wait a complete sentence.

View Quote
Totally agree. Umami = voodoo mythology.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horrible foodie fad buzzword.  Sure.  But glutamic acid isn't voodoo.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife is thai and one hell of a cook.  She uses tiparos.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, then. It's foodoo mythology.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Squid brand was lowly ranked?  It's often recommended in Asian cookbooks and recipes I have read.

Link Posted: 4/9/2016 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Squid brand was lowly ranked?  It's often recommended in Asian cookbooks and recipes I have read.  
View Quote
Rated bottom of the barrel in that test. Look at what Pai from Hot Thai Kitchen uses in her videos. Yep. Squid Brand.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I was really surprised by the poor ranking of Three Crabs.
View Quote
Review written by elitist hipsters who have no understanding of the role fish sauce plays in cooking.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I use Red Boat as my go to , but i use this for the high end stuff
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
A more grounded article on Viet Huong fish sauce brands. Seems "Three Crabs" was actually a brand that started in the US much like Huy Fong Sriracha:

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/09/viet-huong-3-crabs-fish-sauce-tasting.html
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Never tried fish sauce before about  a week ago. All that was on the store shelf was 3 crabs. I've been using it here and there in small doses and I like it. Love the anchovy aroma & taste. I'm marinating some chicken breasts over night with 3 crabs and apple cider and italian dressing. Smells heavenly. I'll try tomorrow for din-din.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Never tried fish sauce before about  a week ago. All that was on the store shelf was 3 crabs. I've been using it here and there in small doses and I like it. Love the anchovy aroma & taste. I'm marinating some chicken breasts over night with 3 crabs and apple cider and italian dressing. Smells heavenly. I'll try tomorrow for din-din.
View Quote

Please report back to us on this. Sounds interesting: salty, sweet, and spices...the triple threat.

What ratio of ingredients did you use?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried a 1/2 tsp of 3 crabs, and roughly 1/4 cup apple cider and 1/4 cup Italian dressing. Marinated about 18  hours. Baked about 40 minutes @ 350.

It was tasty, but a lot milder than I thought it would be. Used the chicken tonight for burritos. Next time I'll double the fish sauce. Better too little than too much for starters though with the super high sodium content.

I'm already addicted to 3 crabs. :>) Don't know how I missed trying fish sauce all these years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tiparos also seems to be a good choice for those watching their sodium intake. A TBS of Tiparos has 690mg sodium compared to 1200-1400+mg/TBS found in other brands.

Unfortunately fish sauce is a sodium bomb. Use accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tiparos also seems to be a good choice for those watching their sodium intake. A TBS of Tiparos has 690mg sodium compared to 1200-1400+mg/TBS found in other brands.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a large portion of why it tastes so good.  

I have three crab right now.   You know it has salt when towards the end there is a crystal ball of salt in the bottom of the bottle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top