Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 10:50:44 AM EDT
Bought a injection kit to try out this year, thing is, the instructions and nothing I can find on line tells you how far to go in the bird with the needle.
Any help out help out there?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I try to squirt some in at different levels.  I also try to minimize the number of holes I use and then push the needle in different direction, squirting a little bit, then moving to another spot without removing the needle.        

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I try to squirt some in at different levels.  I also try to minimize the number of holes I use and then push the needle in different direction, squirting a little bit, then moving to another spot without removing the needle.          
View Quote

This.  Also do not go so deep that you go through the meat into the internal cavity.  The marinade just shoots out.  

If you have spices and make your own run the spices through a blender first to keep your needle from getting jammed.   I took several cups of seasoning mix and ran it through the magic bullet last night.  I am deep frying 8 turkeys for family and friends.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
How far ahead of time do you inject them?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How far ahead of time do you inject them?
View Quote

I usually inject mine a few hours before putting them in the pot.  Directly injecting gets it into the meat so so.  If you really want flavor try brining over night.  I don't have the time this year to do it so I am injecting.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've found that brining does a LOT more for a turkey than injecting as far as juiciness. If you are looking for a juicy bird don't think that you can skip the brine and go straight to injection...

In the words of arfcom, DO BOTH
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I've brined over the years and gotten rave reviews. Just thought I would try something new this year. I didn't think of doing both, hmmmmm.....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I've switched to "dry brining". I like the results even better. And it's not messy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've brined over the years and gotten rave reviews. Just thought I would try something new this year. I didn't think of doing both, hmmmmm.....
View Quote

Brine for the juiciness, good creole-butter style injection for the wonderful flavor burst as you bite into the turkey... that is my preferred method...
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:08:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I highly recommend Alton Brown's dry brine technique.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
bacon covered to finish

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a fan of injecting turkey with apricot or peach brandy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of injecting turkey with apricot or peach brandy.
View Quote

Buddy, you literally just made my mouth water..  You sunuvabish!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top