Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 10:24:59 PM EDT
My stove doesn't have standard markings that show Simmer, Low, Medium, medium high etc and so forth. All it has is "Lo", markings 2-9 and then "Hi".
I have no idea how these numbers translate to the more traditional heat settings (which are often referenced in recipes). This leaves me guessing, and leads to a lack of consistency in my cooking. Anyone care to help me out with this? I'm assuming that Medium is 5. Medium Low would be 3-4? Medium High would be 6-8? Where does "Simmer" fall into?

If it helps, this is an electric stove with those ugly ass coils.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Midpoint is medium 1-9 means around 4/5 is medium heat

9 is obvious high ( duh )

1 is obvious lowest ( double duh ) which I would assume is slow simmer

around 7-8 would be medium high ( I am all out of duhs )

And around 2-3 would be low / medium low ... oops I had I Duh left !

Hope this helps ya'

Edited to add ... I ain't a cook - but I cook much better than most people I know
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Simmer, low, etc. are approximations anyway.  Get a pot of water and see if where a simmer or barely a boil occurs, where a medium boil and a rolling boil happen.  Use these values for your simmer, medium, and high settings.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Midpoint is medium 1-9 means around 4/5 is medium heat

9 is obvious high ( duh )

1 is obvious lowest ( double duh ) which I would assume is slow simmer

around 7-8 would be medium high ( I am all out of duhs )

And around 2-3 would be low / medium low ... oops I had I Duh left !

Hope this helps ya'

Edited to add ... I ain't a cook - but I cook much better than most people I know
View Quote
Thanks... I mostly had no idea where Simmer goes. I had no idea it's pretty much the lowest setting.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]
On mine I've learned that simmer is 2 with a lid, 3 with out. Medium heat is a 4 to 5.  High is 7 to 8, 9 to high is burn your pan and food. And for every extra burner i use i bump it up a half.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
If you did not know where simmer was. I would hate to eat any rice you may cook.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Simmer, low, etc. are approximations anyway.  Get a pot of water and see if where a simmer or barely a boil occurs, where a medium boil and a rolling boil happen.  Use these values for your simmer, medium, and high settings.
View Quote

This.

A lot of the heat setting will be picky to your stovetop. Mine simmers at 2, has medium boil between 6 and 7, and high rolling boil between 8 and 9.  3-4-5 all seem to be about the same heat. It will take you maybe 15 minutes with a pot of water and you'll learn a ton.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top