Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 6:30:46 AM EDT
My son absolutely LOVES mac n cheese. He would eat it for every meal if I let him (he's 5). I have tried a few recipes online and still haven't found "the one." I did a search and didn't find this topic before. If it is here somewhere please link to it for me. Otherwise, please share your best mac n cheese recipe!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Google Alton Brown Mac and cheese. His recipe is great but I usually double the cheese the recipe calls for. I've taken it to covers dish dinners and always get asked for the recipe. Also save some for friend mac and cheese. It's even better the second time around.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
If this recipe taste like it is supposed to then this is the BEST.  in my opinion  :)

J Alexander's (Not Your Ordinary) Mac n Cheese

Best of luck on your search.

bluesticky
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Does your kid like bacon? Mac and Cheese with bacon in it is good stuff. Even if the kid doesn't like it, the husband will.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheese sauce recipe:

1 teaspoon butter
a large pinch of flour
1 qt. heavy cream
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6 slices yellow American cheese

1 cup diced ham

Boil water for 1 pound of pasta, elbows or shells preferred

in a medium sauce pan on low heat, melt butter and flower, don't let the mixture burn
slowly add heavy cream, in about 1/2 cup increments and heat slowly
when all the cream is in the pan, add the cheddar and American cheese
stir until all the cheese is melted and is somewhat smooth
continue stirring so the cheese doesn't burn

Drain pasta, and mix cheese sauce, and ham in large saucepan until thoroughly mixed

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Pour mixed pasta into a large dish, one that would be used for cooking lasagna

Sprinkle Italian style bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese on top, bake for approx. 25 minutes or until the edges are boiling

Enjoy, my kids love this recipe, usually no leftovers
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Google Alton Brown Mac and cheese. His recipe is great but I usually double the cheese the recipe calls for. I've taken it to covers dish dinners and always get asked for the recipe. Also save some for friend mac and cheese. It's even better the second time around.
View Quote

AB is my usual go to guy. I looked his recipe up but it only got 4 stars so I had sort of discarded it before I even tried it. I will go back to it (and the other recipes y'all have posted) and see which one is a hit in my house.

And yes, everyone in my house loves bacon so that could always be added in for extra goodness.

Thanks all. If anyone else has another recipe please post it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Boil elbow Mac to when it's half cooked ( al dente ) it needs to be still almost hard

Make a sauce
Heavy cream
Butter
American cheese
Cheddar cheese
Colby cheese
This cheese sauce is a base , I never measure it should be thick almost nacho cheese type consistency

Put noodles and sauce in pan , some extra cheese on top
Bake about 15-20 mins
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#8]
No matter what recipe you go with......

The key is to not over cook the noodles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Half a box of elbow macaroni for like 6-7 minutes. Cause most recipes gonna have you baking an add. 30?min.

If you master that you're 90% there.

ETA: Love the screen name
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#9]
My best is the standard mac and cheese, but I fry up some sweet Italian sausage and pull it apart after cooking and add to the M&C - Awesomness!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I make this every year for thanksgiving and everyone loves it. For the topping I substitute panko bread crumbs mixed with a little melted butter.

http://www.food.com/recipe/classic-macaroni-and-cheese-americas-test-kitchen-260199
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#11]
i know the best mac and cheese recipe ever. pm me if ur interested
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Just made this, and it came out amazing.  We used mozzarella parmesan mix for the cheese and threw in some mild Italian sausage.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i know the best mac and cheese recipe ever. pm me if ur interested
View Quote

Creeper
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Best I ever had was Paula Deen's recipe, but added in some roasted hatch green peppers. Obviously, fresh are preferable but the pre-diced canned ones work in a pinch.
Lots of tater chips for the topping for crunch, and you are good to go.
Be sure to have a couch handy afterwards, as it is seriously nap inducing

Also, be prepared to hate yourself if you ever add up the caloric content
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just made this, and it came out amazing.  We used mozzarella parmesan mix for the cheese and threw in some mild Italian sausage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Simply Recipes has some good stuff.  I bet that was tasty.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Was just going to post that.

My other favorite Mac & Cheese is on the menu at the Stars and Stripes Cafe in the Smithsonian's Museum of American History. For the life of me I have not been able to find the recipe for that one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Here are 50 mac and cheese recipes.  Our favorite is number 1 or number 10.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-mac-and-cheese-recipes.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#19]
boil pasta. Melt veleeta over it. The crapper the more they like it.

Buy Kraft mac-n cheese.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#20]
http://chitterlings.com/maccaroni.html

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#22]

I made this one last night. It was good but not quite there. My son didn't eat it all which says a lot.  I did like the bread crumbs on top-not too crunchy but gave it a nice change.

Back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#24]
when I make homemade mac and cheese I actually avoid cheddar because when it melts it can be very gritty. I use Colby jack and mozzarella together along with heavy cream. I've found the key to a good cheese sauce is straining it so the sauce is super smooth.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I make the home made versions of the mac and cheeze but use the Kraft stuff for quickie meals.  I recently had some of the boxed Velveeta mac n cheese and it was as close to home made as I have ever seen.  Keep a couple boxes in your supplies for when you have less time to prepare a meal.  I couldn't believe the stuff came out of a box.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a great recipe:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/04/macaroni-cheese/
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

AB is my usual go to guy. I looked his recipe up but it only got 4 stars so I had sort of discarded it before I even tried it. I will go back to it (and the other recipes y'all have posted) and see which one is a hit in my house.

And yes, everyone in my house loves bacon so that could always be added in for extra goodness.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elbows or shells and Velveeta.  Yes its that easy.  Also try some crumbled bacon or ham and some peas.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#28]
8 oz cooked macaroni.  mI like small shells cooked al,Denys

2 tbs butter

2 ths flour

1 lb Velveta in chunks

2" cups,whole milk

melt butter in sauce pan
add flour and stir until blond colored
add milk slowly and stirr until thickened
add cheese a little at a time  and stir until melted ... this sauce should be soupy.  Add a bit more milk if too thick.
add shells and stir
bake in oven until brown on top

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#29]
White sauce made with real butter and Velveeta cheese.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:46:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Great mac and cheese is kind of a balancing act between taste and texture.  Cheddar, for example, tastes great but gets really grainy when you melt it.  My favorite cheese for mac'n'cheese is gouda.  It tastes great and melts very smoothly.  You can certainly add whatever but just gouda is great.  Often I'll throw in a handful of Maytag bleu cheese right at the end.

The base for mac and cheese is generally bechamel sauce.  Often though I just use heavy cream instead, and just reduce it to get the texture I like.

You can fancy up your mac and cheese but I think it's better when kept relatively simple.  About the only things I like to add are bacon, onions and/or mushrooms.  If you go that route, sweat them all together before you add the cream.  Basically I sautee onions and mushrooms together, deglaze with 1/2 cup of chicken stock and a 1/4 of white wine, then reduce til almost au sec.  Pour in about 3/4 cup of cream give or take and add the gouda cheese (maybe 1 Cup or so).  Then toss in the cooked pasta.  A little dash of fish sauce will give it a bit of umami flavor.  Beyond that all I season with is salt and pepper.

NOTE:  your dish will come out better if you drain the pasta but don't rinse it.  The starch will help the sauce cling to the pasta.  The water you cook the pasta in should be salty like the ocean.  At least 2 heaping TBSP per gallon of water, a little more is better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#31]

If this actually turns out like the Beecher's mac and cheese that it says it is a copy of, your kids will love it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Kraft Blue box with some extra cheddar cheese and cut up hot dogs!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top