Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2012 6:43:54 AM EDT
I set out to make the perfect johnnycake, thinking they would be a great, hearty breakfast.  They are simple, tasty, and a real survival food in my opinion.  Called 'journey cakes' at one point, they are meant to sustain and keep you full.  The bacon is nice, but really all you need is any fat and some very basic ingredients.  The taste of these cakes, cooked properly on well seasoned cast iron, brings me back to a simpler time, connects me to the roots of this country. So, here it is.

Johnnycakes

Makes about 6-8 cakes.

1 cup of cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar
1 1/2 cups of boiling water
Fat from about 6 slices of thick bacon
The bacon to eat with 'em!

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and pour in the boiling water while whisking briksly.  You are essentially precooking the cornmeal here.  It will turn into a gooey paste, about the consistency of brick mortar.  On a hot, barely smoking, well seasoned cast iron griddle or skillet, place a generous amount of bacon grease.  Spoon the cornmeal mixture onto the greased skillet and flatten with the back of a spoon into cake like shape.  This takes some practice, but keep them small and you'll be okay.  Fry for about 4 to 5 minutes per side, until they get golden brown and crispy.  You will have to add fat to the skillet when you turn them, they suck up the grease real well. If they are sticking to your skillet, you need more grease.

Serve piping hot, with butter, real maple syrup and BACON.  You'll feel like an American pioneer in no time.  Happy Thanksgiving all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I love me some Johnnycakes and they have less of a glycemic effect than wheat-based pancakes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:06:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I set out to make the perfect johnnycake, thinking they would be a great, hearty breakfast.  They are simple, tasty, and a real survival food in my opinion.  Called 'journey cakes' at one point, they are meant to sustain and keep you full.  The bacon is nice, but really all you need is any fat and some very basic ingredients.  The taste of these cakes, cooked properly on well seasoned cast iron, brings me back to a simpler time, connects me to the roots of this country. So, here it is.

Johnnycakes

Makes about 6-8 cakes.

1 cup of cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and pour in the boiling water while whisking briksly.  You are essentially precooking the cornmeal here.  It will turn into a gooey paste, about the consistency of brick mortar.  On a hot, barely smoking, well seasoned cast iron griddle or skillet, place a generous amount of bacon grease.  Spoon the cornmeal mixture onto the greased skillet and flatten with the back of a spoon into cake like shape.  This takes some practice, but keep them small and you'll be okay.  Fry for about 4 to 5 minutes per side, until they get golden brown and crispy.  You will have to add fat to the skillet when you turn them, they suck up the grease real well. If they are sticking to your skillet, you need more grease.

Serve piping hot, with butter, real maple syrup and BACON.  You'll feel like an American pioneer in no time.  Happy Thanksgiving all.

Very similar to something we do here  that we just call "Fried Cornbread".  Except that it contains NO sugar.

Around here, sugar is for iced tea... NEVER in cornbread.

It's one of the things I like about this forum.  Seeing the regional variations on essentially the same dish.  Thanks for this one!  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Johnnycakes

Makes about 6-8 cakes.

1 cup of cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbls sugar

Very similar to something we do here  that we just call "Fried Cornbread".  Except that it contains NO sugar.

Around here, sugar is for iced tea... NEVER in cornbread.

It's one of the things I like about this forum.  Seeing the regional variations on essentially the same dish.  Thanks for this one!  

or,  leave out the sugar

add  a cup of milk, an egg, and pour into a  dish and bake  and it's spoonbread,

delicious

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top