Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2012 4:59:28 PM EDT
Its that time of year. Lots of ways to do it but this is a good primer on what to do if you have no idea.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Good episode although, in my experience, the turkey derrick is completely unnecessary. A pair of welding gloves and the hook included in the frying kit work just fine.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Good episode although, in my experience, the turkey derrick is completely unnecessary. A pair of welding gloves and the hook included in the frying kit work just fine.

Completely unnecessary. i think that maybe he did it out of possible liability. Just dont be a fucking retard and toss a turkey into the oil and your probably going to be good to go.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I just turn off the flame right before I lower in the turkey with the supplied hook. Once the bird is down, I re-ignite the flame and adjust the temp, cook for 3.5 min/pound @ 350 and remove. rest 5 minutes, carve and serve.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's completely unnecessary - unless your oil is too hot, the flame is still on, and some of the oil spills out creating a jet engine blast of burning oil that will make sure you'll never use that arm again.

I'd agree that it is a liability issue assuming you take a few precautions. You can't be too safe if you're going to show it on TV considering the wide variance in your audience's IQ. You know what though? Now that I think about it, rigging up a stepladder to lower the turkey in wouldn't really be a huge hassle.

Oh, I'm not at all suggesting that it isn't dangerous, but it is much less dangerous if you are careful and know what you are doing. I'd bet a hefty percent of the accidents come from guys who pound a liter of Jim Beam and then try to slam dunk a 20lb frozen bird into their turkey fryer which is conveniently located in their garage.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Four years of manually lowering the turkey into the hot oil yielded great turkey and no problems - even the year I had to cook two.

HOWEVER, last year I used the derrick approach using a ladder and not only was it much easier to control the bird's descent, it was way easier on my poor old-fart back.

I know which way I'm doing it this year...

Just sayin' - Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's completely unnecessary - unless your oil is too hot, the flame is still on, and some of the oil spills out creating a jet engine blast of burning oil that will make sure you'll never use that arm again.

I'd agree that it is a liability issue assuming you take a few precautions. You can't be too safe if you're going to show it on TV considering the wide variance in your audience's IQ. You know what though? Now that I think about it, rigging up a stepladder to lower the turkey in wouldn't really be a huge hassle.

Oh, I'm not at all suggesting that it isn't dangerous, but it is much less dangerous if you are careful and know what you are doing. I'd bet a hefty percent of the accidents come from guys who pound a liter of Jim Beam and then try to slam dunk a 20lb frozen bird into their turkey fryer which is conveniently located in their garage.

Any one who deals with the public on a daily basis can testify that the majority of people lack any sort of common sense.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top