Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 1:31:08 PM EDT
I'm about to make some spinach pasta. What is the best way to store it? Is it safe to roll into nests and let dry and put in the cabinet for later use? Or does it need to be frozen?

Just wondering how store bought pastas can be left out. I had some concern because of the spinach, not to mention the possible use of eggs depending upon the recipe.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried to dry some but it molded pretty quickly.  You'd need a dryer atmosphere than I have anyway.  I imagine a dehydrator would get more of the water out and make it last longer.  The best way I know to store it is to dry it and then freeze it, or just freeze it on parchment paper then package it in freezer bags.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd single layer it out on parchment or wax paper then roll it into a tube and freeze it.  To use, unroll it and thaw on a counter.

The dough is going to be homogenizing and absorbing moisture or drying out at a rate that you won't want.  If you coat it with oil, it's not going to cook. If you coat it with flour, it'll moisten the flour and start to stick together.

I wouldn't try to keep it frozen at all.  Pick one of the other legs of the meal to prepare ahead of time and freeze (the sauce, for example) and make the dough the day of.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#4]
My Gram. use to freeze it, and or keep it in a cool dark area, we never had a problem.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool. Thanks guys.

My pasta making attempt yesterday was far better than the first time last weekend.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Bird nest it in tipo fino flour right offa the Atlas, and then vaccum seal.

Toss in the freezer.
Done

It's so humid around here, I have given up on trying to dry the stuff enough to keep it from molding.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I ended up freezing it. I'll report back after I've tried it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top