Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2012 12:53:48 PM EDT
Wife came home with a bag of them.  I've never cooked with precooked, preseasoned, frozen crawfish before.  Can you do a boil with these?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Got eight pounds of them last month put them in with the shrimp boil. Was very disappointed with them they come out very very dry I think that the freezing did them in.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Were they whole? I've never seen whole frozen. I use peeled frozen for etouffee.

Link Posted: 6/5/2012 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Like peel and eat shrimp, nowhere near as good as fresh, just thaw them out and eat them. In a steam pot I would just throw them like a minute before serving to warm them up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Think reheat, NOT cook or they'll turn into rubber.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Where do you find something like that?
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

She was in Walmart and happened to see them.  The crawfish are from Spain. I thought that was kind of strange but did some research and I guess they are popular there. And yes, they are whole crawfish. She thought I'd like them since I've cooked up fresh ones in the past.

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#8]
why not just go around the corner to the bayou and catch a few fresh...... oh wait

frozen whole crawfish?  that just sounds like a bad idea.  but, since you have them already:
you can reheat them by steaming as suggested earlier, then peel and eat although I doubt they will be seasoned worth a damn.
you could probably make an Alfredo sauce toss them in (peeled) at the very end and toss with pasta, this what I would commonly do with left over crawfish from a boil.
..but being from S. Louisiana I wouldn't know much about crawfish
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
why not just go around the corner to the bayou and catch a few fresh...... oh wait

frozen whole crawfish?  that just sounds like a bad idea.  but, since you have them already:
you can reheat them by steaming as suggested earlier, then peel and eat although I doubt they will be seasoned worth a damn.
you could probably make an Alfredo sauce toss them in (peeled) at the very end and toss with pasta, this what I would commonly do with left over crawfish from a boil.
..but being from S. Louisiana I wouldn't know much about crawfish

Thanks for the tips! My wife was doing me a nice thing since she's seen me and a friend building traps and trying to catching them out here in the desert. They're here but not very many. I used to spend a bit of time in LA years ago on business, miss the great meals I had there.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Seriously, though, your best bet is to peel them and use them in something like a gumbo or etouffee.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, though, your best bet is to peel them and use them in something like a gumbo or etouffee.

Pretty much all store-bought frozen crawfish will be peeled already. It'd be stupid to try to sell you frozen/cooked whole crawfish.

But yeah - the tail meat is very bland compared to stuff you cook up yourself, although it does go OK with spicy sauces over pasta as mentioned already.

They sell them like that to unsuspecting yankees.  I bought a couple pounds once.  Absolute garbage and total disappointment.  

This dang yankee likes his crawdads freshly boiled.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Imports of whole frozen Chinese crawfish have been here for about 10 or 12 years now, and more recently from Spain.  The quality of these are often poor due to inconsistent seasoning and cooking times and due to long frozen storage times.  Louisiana crawfish processors are beginning to sell more whole frozen crawfish packaged in seasoning, and although I have not tried them yet, I understand they are quite good.  These are fully cooked and require only heating –– some packages can be heated in a microwave.  I believe most of these are sold to resturants and perhaps more locally (LA, TX, TN, MS, etc.) but may appear more and more in retail outlets.  The processors are increasing the quantity of these products each year and they should become more available.  Of course these probably will never be as good as fresh boiled product –– when done right –– but it does provide a means of increasing the seasonal supply and makes for easy preparation for those not geared up for the traditional boil.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 8:18:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw those at Kroger a few months ago and grabbed a bag. When I opened the bag...WHEW! They were *not* fresh. I just sealed the bag up and threw it away.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

She was in Walmart and happened to see them.  The crawfish are from Spain. I thought that was kind of strange but did some research and I guess they are popular there. And yes, they are whole crawfish. She thought I'd like them since I've cooked up fresh ones in the past.

You can pretty much add them to any dish that calls for shrimp or crawfish - just keep in mind that they are cooked already. I think most recipes know that they'll be cooked already, as you really can't get the tail meat easily without it.

One of my favorites is this copy-cat recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/outback-steakhouse-toowoomba-pasta-copycat-recipe-295608. Again, there's no need to cook the crawfish - just add them to the sauce directly to heat them through.

I am so going to try that recipe.  I have some shrimp I need to use up, I was going to make some Bang Bang Shrimp (found copycat recipe for Bonefish Grill's version) But, that Toowoomba Pasta looks nice. I just need to track down some coriander.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top