Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2009 12:05:13 PM EDT
I've been looking at buying a new house and found one with big windows that let in sunlight and show off the trees in the backyard. It looks great. The windows run from the floor almost to the ceiling across the length of the dining room area, split only by frames between some of the windows.

Yes, it's a concern that opportunistic criminals and zombies would very easily crash into the house.

Ideas on how to defend houses like this??

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Against non-zombified very human and mortal interlopers, I'd recommend about three or four German Shepherd sentries.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Against non-zombified very human and mortal interlopers, I'd recommend about three or four German Shepherd sentries.

I have to admit I was mostly thinking of the non-zombified types. I don't know how many criminals take the trouble of actually breaking windows, although in this case it seems like they would have to at least consider it. There would be no crawling through the broken window, since the windows are floor level they could easily step right through and continue their burglaring.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Those are kind of cool, we don't have many of those around here. Kind of makes me wonder if Florida is the most secure from zombie attack.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have installed them over all my windows. I highly recommend them. In addition to zombie/burglary protection, they also help with energy costs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have installed them over all my windows. I highly recommend them. In addition to zombie/burglary protection, they also help with energy costs.

How/when do you roll them up and down? It is automatic from the inside?

I guess from a practical perspective I would only roll them down when I am gone for a long time, like on vacation. I'm not sure if I would roll them up / down every night, depends on how easy it is.

I went to see this house by the way, its in an area where crime is very low, and its on a secluded street. However I still like being prepared.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The controls are inside. There are three options: electric, crank handle or pull straps. I got pull straps so that they will function in case of power loss.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Big windows or small, if a crook wants in, they'll get in....zombies on the other hand will flock to that thing like moths to an open flame.  
I recommend this for Zombie Sentry duty.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Big windows or small, if a crook wants in, they'll get in....zombies on the other hand will flock to that thing like moths to an open flame.  

Sorry, not enough guns on that guy. You need something more along the lines of what they used in the movie Aliens

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#10]
something cool for windows

Not that brand/company but I am going to get something like that.  You could get a welder to do it for you and cost less with thicker steel.

Its good security if combined with an alarm system.      And if there is a fire: no locks, just a lever or latch or a pin to pull out to get out.

edit: Once I get a house, hehehe
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I personally am not a big fan of those size windows and most definitely not with those large trees and shit out there.
One good storm or some high winds and your big pretty windows are lovely hazardous shrapnel.
That in conjunction with the fact that it shows anyone lurking out there just what you have inside makes it a big negative for me.
However, these are all reasons I love Blaze and Max....  My wife's German Shepherd and my Doberman.

note. that zombie sentry is not a bad lookin gadget to invest in either
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How/when do you roll them up and down? It is automatic from the inside?

I guess from a practical perspective I would only roll them down when I am gone for a long time, like on vacation. I'm not sure if I would roll them up / down every night, depends on how easy it is.

I went to see this house by the way, its in an area where crime is very low, and its on a secluded street. However I still like being prepared.

Be neat if they had little squares or rectangles cut out from them every so often....in case you need firing ports.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/scpd/prestige/safety_security.html?WT.term=security+film+for+windows&WT.campaign=1352&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc&WT.content=505476886&cshift_ck=1457316842cs505476886&WT.srch=1

sorry having a brain fart and cant remember how to make the link hot.

its to a 3m security laminate film for windows. its supposed to make them "impact resistant". may be something to consider. may stop a crook or some blowing debris, but a zombie horde is coming thru...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Be neat if they had little squares or rectangles cut out from them every so often....in case you need firing ports.

They are custom made for your windows...I'm sure you could order them that way.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've been looking at buying a new house and found one with big windows that let in sunlight and show off the trees in the backyard. It looks great. The windows run from the floor almost to the ceiling across the length of the dining room area, split only by frames between some of the windows.

Yes, it's a concern that opportunistic criminals and zombies would very easily crash into the house.

Ideas on how to defend houses like this??

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4331/2910326613.jpg

Very nice. Just use trained killer trunk monkeys.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/talon-swords-02.jpg

If I owned that I would break the windows myself and beckon the zombies forward just to watch it work.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I hear 3M makes a window tinting/security film.  I just googled it and found this site http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WF/3MWindowFilms/Solutions/Residential/
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I have seen the 3M laminate in action. Pretty impressive stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top