Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2009 6:10:56 PM EDT
If someone was defending there home with a pistol and a Cold Steel  model 1917 Navy Cutlass. (This).  For a right handed person.  Do you fight with the piston in your right hand or left?....  It seems the cutlass would need the extra dexterity, with the pistol secondary.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Can I just have the BAR on the left?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can I just have the BAR on the left?

I know, I fired one many years ago.  Hits were so easy, the magazine seemed to last a long time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Normally yes.
The saber/cutlass was weilded by the right hand. The handgun was weilded by the left.
If you need to use the blade in the left you'll need to find a weapon with an ambidextrous guard/handle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Or you could just use the pistol properly and not have to worry about flailing around with that glorified butter knife.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Or you could just use the pistol properly and not have to worry about flailing around with that glorified butter knife.

If you got ZEDS, then there are going to be alot of them. Eventually your ammunition will be consumed and you will want that cutlass.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
gonna be hard reloading with a friggin sword in your off hand
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If there are Zeds the first order of business is finding a safe place and not wasting all my ammunition fighting the horde. I'd much prefer a bat or a rod or anything without a blade for a melee weapon against zombies. A sword like that will get stuck in a zombie when you really need it to bounce off and shatter whatever it hits. I want to see a follow up strike against a second zombie while the sword is still stuck in the first one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I got it by the nuts
I use edge weapons left handed and Pistols right
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
gonna be hard reloading with a friggin sword in your off hand

The clip point is for sticking the cutlass in the deck while you reload.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#10]
As people mention the sword is used in the dominant hand, pistol in the off hand.  But this style of fighting was done against human opponents, so accuracy (e.g. headshots) weren't as important .

Good things zombies don't bleed...you wouldn't want to ruin your white boating outfit.  I'm assuming you have a cold weather tactical blue blazer to complete your setup as well?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess I'm lucky.   I eat right-handed, I write right-handed, I swing a bat or a sword right-handed, I golf right-handed, I use a knife right-handed... BUT...  I throw left-handed, I play pool left-handed, I bowl left-handed, I shoot left-handed... so in this regard I have two strong sides.  I'm twice as good as everyone else.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm ambidextrous. I shoot fine with the pistol in both hands tho I admit I like it in my right. Left hand for the pistol and only permanently disabling or crippling cuts with cutlass. One legged zombies are easier to evade. Glock 45's make big holes in the domes anyway and realoading isnt too much of a problem after each 13 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Cutlass in right, pistol in left.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top