Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2009 1:59:52 PM EDT
So the day o' the zed comes...  You hole up, hide, whatever...

A few weeks later you run short of supplies or long of curiosity and venture outside.  You grab your trusty rifle and cautiously make your way outside.  You slowly make your way around your area, stopping frequently to look and listen for zombies.

You come to a clearing and hit the dirt/pavement to get a look-see before proceeding.

As you are staring through the scope, you see another uninfected human in the distance.  He is armed as well, but like you, alone.  

Let's even assume that he's 300-500 yards away.

What do you do?  How do you do it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If I have my gobag then i would pull my binos to see if the way to him is clear if so i will make it to within shouting distance and tell him to come to me while I go to him

aka meet half way...

if he starts shooting at me however FUCK HIM IN THE ASS! Shoot him steal his ammo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So the day o' the zed comes...  You hole up, hide, whatever...

A few weeks later you run short of supplies or long of curiosity and venture outside.  You grab your trusty rifle and cautiously make your way outside.  You slowly make your way around your area, stopping frequently to look and listen for zombies.

You come to a clearing and hit the dirt/pavement to get a look-see before proceeding.

As you are staring through the scope, you see another uninfected human in the distance.  He is armed as well, but like you, alone.  

Let's even assume that he's 300-500 yards away.

What do you do?  How do you do it?

Pop smoke. Send up a flare cluster.  Might fire a shot right next to him to get his attention. Or maybe use signal mirror to flash in his direction then blow police whistle or maybe just jump and down wildly waving your arms while yelling to get his attention.  

Chances are, you don't want to make contact without observing for a while.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not make contact right away, I would definitely scope out the area for anything suspect with this guy or his surrounding area. If it seems kosher and I need supplies or human contact I would use a mirror. There is no chance in hell I would break noise discipline and yell out! Chances are though that I would not get his attention unless I knew the person.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot him dead and not think twice.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If I decided to make contact after some observation it would be with a signal mirror.  It works well, works out to a long distance, and is silent.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch him for a while and then decide if I want to make contact. If it looks like he is moving out of the area I would let him go but if he is staying in the area observing or doing something constructive then I would make contact.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would not make contact right away, I would definitely scope out the area for anything suspect with this guy or his surrounding area. If it seems kosher and I need supplies or human contact I would use a mirror. There is no chance in hell I would break noise discipline and yell out! Chances are though that I would not get his attention unless I knew the person.

+1

Rescue Laser Flare®

These are handy.  I've got quite a few for signaling in an emergency at night.  Plus they are made in my home town Anchorage, Alaska.

These don't replace a mirror but supplement one.  Plus they are tacticool.

https://www.greatlandlaser.com/index.php

-Arbiter
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]

after a few weeks it'll be nice to see someone who's not trying to bite you.

that person could, however, have gone insane. there is a good chance he'll shoot first and not ask questions.

i think it'll be hard for me to trust anyone that i didn't already know. what if he's of the "i'm better off alone" mind set. lots of people don't agree with the safety in numbers thing. he may think he's John Rambo or some shit.

if you make contact i don't think i would invite him over for some beans and rice.

"nice to see ya. want to meet back here tomorrow?" give it a few days. you could also recon where he's going each day. he could be part of a larger group.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Bart - "you shot the zombie Ned Flanders"
Homer - " He was a zombie?"
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Way too little info to initiate contact.

And yelling out is begging to get bit.

Wait, watch and weigh carefully.  Using binos, see if he has enough gear for just a patrol or if he is packed up for "moving".  If just patrol gear, see which way he comes from and goes to.  Try to observe him again the next day either earlier and "upstream" on his route or later and "downstream" on his route.  Repeat until his camp/BOL/house/whatever is found.  As a bonus this gives you extended observation time to to figure out if he is behaving oddly/turning into a Zed.

If after you have found his lair there are other people there, PROCEED WITH CAUTION!  Each human is a potential Zed.  That cute little girl they let into their compound could turn them all in just one night.

If any looted goods are evident then immediately break contact and cover your tracks.  If any of that group are seen ANYWHERE near your BOL then engage at will.

If everything seems kosher then try making contact by leaving a note (brightly colored construction paper helps) on their regular patrol route.  Suggest a meeting spot the next day somewhere far from your BOL that you have already reconned.  Maybe leave a can of beans with the note to express goodwill.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pop smoke. Send up a flare cluster.  Might fire a shot right next to him to get his attention. Or maybe use signal mirror to flash in his direction then blow police whistle or maybe just jump and down wildly waving your arms while yelling to get his attention.  

Chances are, you don't want to make contact without observing for a while.

ROTFLMFAO

I dont much like the idea of traveling by foot in a zed situation, so most likely I would be pulling up in the Deuce and make small talk that way. In this particular situation, on foot, I would flash my tactical light at him (I dont have a survival mirror, shame on me) getting his attention, and approach in that sorta peaceful way you see in all the war type of movies when they want to negotiate, then make small talk at that point, and attempt to determine his character and sanity, establish a way of radio communication in case of a time of need, and go along my way.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I dont much like the idea of traveling by foot in a zed situation, so most likely I would be pulling up in the Deuce and make small talk that way. In this particular situation, on foot, I would flash my tactical light at him (I dont have a survival mirror, shame on me) getting his attention, and approach in that sorta peaceful way you see in all the war type of movies when they want to negotiate, then make small talk at that point, and attempt to determine his character and sanity, establish a way of radio communication in case of a time of need, and go along my way.

If you are driving a deuce and a half he'll hear you coming from far enough away that he'll have time to bake brownies and make coffee to have at the getting acquainted meeting.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are driving a deuce and a half he'll hear you coming from far enough away that he'll have time to bake brownies and make coffee to have at the getting acquainted meeting.

Note to self: get a deuce for Z-day because I like brownies.

I would definitely wait for a while, and just observe the person. Maybe come beck the next day, and if they are still there, I may try to signal them with my survival mirror. If they seem strange, I would stay away to see what developed. If the person left for a while, I may try to move into the area and leave a not suggesting communication of some kind. maybe a few notes back and forth over a few days, and then make contact away from both bases.

no need rushing over to other survivors just because they are survivors. they may just kill you and loot you for your troubles.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I would watch him, but more then likely not make contact, as survivors are more of a worry then zombies,

They will rob and rape you blind.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 11:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wait, watch and weigh carefully.  Using binos, see if he has enough gear for just a patrol or if he is packed up for "moving".  If just patrol gear, see which way he comes from and goes to.  Try to observe him again the next day either earlier and "upstream" on his route or later and "downstream" on his route.  Repeat until his camp/BOL/house/whatever is found.  As a bonus this gives you extended observation time to to figure out if he is behaving oddly/turning into a Zed.

If after you have found his lair there are other people there, PROCEED WITH CAUTION!  Each human is a potential Zed.  That cute little girl they let into their compound could turn them all in just one night.

If any looted goods are evident then immediately break contact and cover your tracks.  If any of that group are seen ANYWHERE near your BOL then engage at will.

If everything seems kosher then try making contact by leaving a note (brightly colored construction paper helps) on their regular patrol route.  Suggest a meeting spot the next day somewhere far from your BOL that you have already reconned.  Maybe leave a can of beans with the note to express goodwill.

So far, I like this the best.  Very well thought out.  The only thing I disagree with is the looted goods part.  In a situation like that, it's called FORAGING.  Eventually, your supplies will run low and you will have to go find something.  Did you take the "looting" to indicate hostility towards others, perhaps?

It *IS* a fair question.  We always assume it will be like the movies.  Meetings would be kum-ba-yah with kissies...  But in real survival situations, humans can be hostile, nice, emotional, ugly, erratic and everywhere in between.

But the reality would be different.  After a month with no human contact, would I be so overwhelmed with emotion that I do something dumb?  I have to admit that I'm a pretty social creature.  It would be very tough NOT to make contact.

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#16]

"We'll shadow you from the treeline while you're on patrol and checking abandoned vehicles. If we get a big enough fish on the line while you're out who wants to chit chat, we'll take the shot when he's in close enough. Procure his assets, and we'll meet at the rally."

Call me cynical.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
After a month with no human contact, would I be so overwhelmed with emotion that I do something dumb?  I have to admit that I'm a pretty social creature.  It would be very tough NOT to make contact.

Especially if she's hot.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only thing I disagree with is the looted goods part.  In a situation like that, it's called FORAGING.  Eventually, your supplies will run low and you will have to go find something.  Did you take the "looting" to indicate hostility towards others, perhaps?

You have a fair point.  Still, how do you tell the difference between legit "foragers" and the gang that just takes the stocked-up supplies of the otherwise well-prepared?  If there is no sign of looted goods then you have a chance that you're looking at fellow survivalists.  But if you see looted goods, ESPECIALLY things that are not related to survival like big-screen TV's, then you have a problem.

Now if I see a pile of empty meat wrappers from the local grocery store and they have an operating smoking house for preservation - different story.  That's just preserving otherwise perishable goods.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#19]

So I should get rid of the big-screen tv at the BOL so nobody thinks I looted it?

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Try to determine if the armed man is this crazy bastard ^.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]
My main concern with contacting this guy other than the possibility that he's a zed, is that people get crazy in survival situations. I am cynical and not very social so I look at the situation a little different, if I don't know you I assume you are a potential threat to me. Many people are out to survive and that usually means "I am the ony person that matters", which leads to stealing and killing anyone to get the gear or food they need to live. The last thing I want is to get into a firefight with a non zed and get our numbers even lower. That's just the way I look at it, it may not be right but it is what I have become over the years.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, watch and weigh carefully.  Using binos, see if he has enough gear for just a patrol or if he is packed up for "moving".  If just patrol gear, see which way he comes from and goes to.
 Try to observe him again the next day either earlier and "upstream" on his route or later and "downstream" on his route.  Repeat until his camp/BOL/house/whatever is found.  As a bonus this gives you extended observation time to to figure out if he is behaving oddly/turning into a Zed.

If everything seems kosher then try making contact by leaving a note (brightly colored construction paper helps) on their regular patrol route.  Suggest a meeting spot the next day somewhere far from your BOL that you have already reconned.
 Maybe leave a can of beans with the note to express goodwill.

What these guys said, but with the looted goods. That depends on how they're acting. If it looks like they are foraging, that's ok. I'm not sure I'd want to contact anyone I don't already know. Even then, you'd have to wonder if they went to the crazy side. Or got bit.

Something to keep in mind is, when the zeds come, all bets are off. YOU are the only law. So any person should be approached with caution. They may have been the nicest person in the world, but went half crazy after putting down their dear old sainted mother. Or just found that they get their jollies shooting at people. And if they are crazy, there's no one to help you.

Ya know what, just find yourself one of them real doll things and stay in your BOL.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd do the Robert Redford thing like towards the end of Jeremiah Johnson where he thrusts his arm into the air and opens his hand...toward the Indian.  That's what I'd do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only thing I disagree with is the looted goods part.  In a situation like that, it's called FORAGING.  Eventually, your supplies will run low and you will have to go find something.  Did you take the "looting" to indicate hostility towards others, perhaps?

You have a fair point.  Still, how do you tell the difference between legit "foragers" and the gang that just takes the stocked-up supplies of the otherwise well-prepared?  If there is no sign of looted goods then you have a chance that you're looking at fellow survivalists.  But if you see looted goods, ESPECIALLY things that are not related to survival like big-screen TV's, then you have a problem.

Now if I see a pile of empty meat wrappers from the local grocery store and they have an operating smoking house for preservation - different story.  That's just preserving otherwise perishable goods.

Makes perfect sense...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes perfect sense...

I would have to agree with these statements. I still don't think I would make immediate person to person contact though. Observation is the order of the day here. If you make contact they may act peaceful to gain intel on you (attract more flys with honey...), follow you covertly back to your B.O.L. and scope what you've got and what you're all about. Which is what I would do. I would make contact through notes left in different places that are easy to observe and leave them at different times so they can't setup counter-surveillance. After careful study study of the person/people and their activities I MIGHT make contact. Also, depending on how close of proximity my B.O.L. was to theirs, I would probably seriously consider moving a little further away. Just my take on the situation.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I agree with this.  Also, it depends on how they are dressed.If they are wearing tactical gear I am more likely to try and make contact. If he is dressed like a home boy and is checking cars with his glock  9 cocked at 90 degrees, then BOOM HEADSHOT!  The last thing I need is a gang member next to my camp. If anything, I would follow him and figure out where his band of merry thugs are and loot their stash.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#27]
IF, you plan to survive a long term bug out.. Don't be alone.
How are you going to watch out for zed's, mzbs, or whatever when you are sleeping?
Know the area you are bugging to. Possibly setup a group of like minded individuals.
Read Light's Out, then rethink your answers...
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this.  Also, it depends on how they are dressed.If they are wearing tactical gear I am more likely to try and make contact. If he is dressed like a home boy and is checking cars with his glock  9 cocked at 90 degrees, then BOOM HEADSHOT!  The last thing I need is a gang member next to my camp. If anything, I would follow him and figure out where his band of merry thugs are and loot their stash.

More than likely if he's a homeboy, he's cased you extensively. Best bet is that he doesn't have supplies worth mentioning. So just cap him and see if his ammo stores match yours.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IF, you plan to survive a long term bug out.. Don't be alone.
How are you going to watch out for zed's, mzbs, or whatever when you are sleeping?
Know the area you are bugging to. Possibly setup a group of like minded individuals.
Read Light's Out, then rethink your answers...

That's what ARFCOM Hometown Forums are for!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm not going to lie, reading this thread I have a mental image of a bunch of fat/old guys crunching leaves through the forest trying to sneak up on eachother.  

If I peronally caught someone with a rifle stalking me in the woods, I'd find a place where the terrain was to my advantage and open up on them assuming they were going to do that to me as soon as they found my supply stash.

If he has a arfcom Zombie patch I'll just start shooting because I know he's crazy
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that person could, however, have gone insane. there is a good chance he'll shoot first and not ask questions.

You are probably right.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Addressing the looted items issue.  The presence of several "acquisitioned"  big screen LCDs doesn't have to necessarily throw up a red flag. It really depends on exactly what items they have "acquisitioned".  The big screens could be justified if they are accompanied by cameras/camcorders/etc.   Remember, picking up supplies doesn't mean just food, ammo and medical items.  Those TVs could be part of their defenses.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If I have my gobag then i would pull my binos to see if the way to him is clear if so i will make it to within shouting distance and tell him to come to me while I go to him

aka meet half way...

if he starts shooting at me however FUCK HIM IN THE ASS! Shoot him steal his ammo.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I wouldn't let my presence be known until I was as sure as I could be that everything was to my advantage.  That might be a couple of days, etc, depending on the situation.  

Nothing to be gained by being premature about something like this.  Everything to be gained by having as much information as possible.  

Plus, you never know, they might have found you, and the guy was sent out to draw you out of hiding so they could drop you and take your stuff.  For me, seeing anyone who wasn't part of my group (if I was with one) would cause me to immediately become very alert to my situation.  I would change everything I could about any routines that I had.  I would move if I could, etc.  Anything I could do to take that extra bit of precaution I would do.  

Never put your ass on the line unless you can't help it.  If he is there today, and will be of any use to you, he will be back in the future.  If he will be any danger to you, he will be back in the future.  Repeated encounters mean that he is local, and therefore has the same advantages as you do.  Knowledge of terrain, supply base, etc.  Passers-through don't have these advantages and therefore are also a lower risk individual.  Can't know until you observe.  

Either way, observation is required.  Information is key to making the best of this situation.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Wave a big sign that says "FUCK AROCK" and see if he's a member here.  If he shoots,  he's either not a member...or Arock...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm a member and I'm not a rock.  I would avoid you, thinking you are nuts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Scan area for zed then use my signal Mirror
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't work for shit in the day
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Rescue Laser Flare®
https://www.greatlandlaser.com/products_pictures/rlfm.jpg
https://www.greatlandlaser.com/images/laserwall.jpg

These are handy.  I've got quite a few for signaling in an emergency at night.  Plus they are made in my home town Anchorage, Alaska.

These don't replace a mirror but supplement one.  Plus they are tacticool.

https://www.greatlandlaser.com/index.php

-Arbiter

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top