Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2010 11:56:08 AM EDT
After watching the series and other modern movies... I would have to say the 12ga shot gun...and or the .45 ACP with hollow points...being you have to sever the brain stem or eliminate  the brain...these seem the best................this might have been posted before...but I can't find...............BRAINS.....sorry......LOL............IT
SASS
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If your running any kind of ammo it needs to be FMJ...

HP's are designed to slow and stop inside the body causing tissue damage. Zeds do not mind the aesthetic holes your putting in them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I love a 12ga shotgun just as much as the next guy but the one draw back is capacity and reload time. For Z-Day i am also a fan of 9mm due to the higher capacity in most cases.

If confronted by 30-40 dead heads i would much rather have my AR with 31 rounds in it backed up by my XDM-9 with 20 rounds in it.

I also have a shotgun setup with a mini chest rig but if i ever had to go on the run i am grabbing the AR.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
One could always get a .30 cal semi auto rifle, M1A1, .308 AR, etc.... have your shot gun slung on your back or in a scabbard and a pistol with FMJ for the rounds.... just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting....I guess I should have been more specific.....for the most part...the combo I suggested was more for close range...as in trying to get out.....but if I would have the distance...then I would use my AR-10 and M-15 for LONG and MEDIUM range....but none the less....a FLAME THROWER would be more to the point.....LOL

SASS

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]

If you're exposed and on the move, a AR-type carbine with a full complement of mags.

If in a barricaded, static position, a 10/22 with a couple of bricks of .22LR.

Anyone else with any other opinion is simply waiting to become zombie chow.

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
depends if you are one of the people that thinks you could survive just running around you'll need a highcap.. but if you are locked down some where. say a roof top of your house.. it doesnt really matter if you had your place secured good!
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love a 12ga shotgun just as much as the next guy but the one draw back is capacity and reload time. For Z-Day i am also a fan of 9mm due to the higher capacity in most cases.

If confronted by 30-40 dead heads i would much rather have my AR with 31 rounds in it backed up by my XDM-9 with 20 rounds in it.

I also have a shotgun setup with a mini chest rig but if i ever had to go on the run i am grabbing the AR.

+1.
A shotgun would be a good choice in a siege/defensive position type scenario,but as a main gun it has a few drawbacks in addition to being slow to reload.Limited range,most have rudimentary sights,and most common designs are based on civilian firearms that lack the durability of military based weapons.The Saiga shotguns are an improvement in a lot of these areas,but the weight of spare mags and ammo are still a concern for me.
I'm not getting rid of my shotgun anytime soon and plan on getting another one, but my first choice for Z Day/SHTF is going to be an AR.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

HP's are designed to slow and stop inside the body causing tissue damage. Zeds do not mind the aesthetic holes your putting in them.

FAIL.  HP rounds are designed to mushroom and thus create a greater wound channel, not slow and stop in the body. Some firearms do have trouble cycling HP ammo, but products like Pow'rBall help solve the issue.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FAIL.  HP rounds are designed to mushroom and thus create a greater wound channel, not slow and stop in the body. Some firearms do have trouble cycling HP ammo, but products like Pow'rBall help solve the issue.

LOL... Yes... they are designed to mushroom... thus the SLOWING and often STOPPING inside the body... Didn't think I needed to spell it out for everyone... Guess I was wrong...
And we are talking about zombies... There is not tissue shock from damage. Penetration is king in the zombie world as you must penetrate their skull in order to kill them...
Also the best thing about the Pow'rBall ammo is not so much the "smoother" feeding as much as it help the round to reliably expand. Which would actually be worse for zombies
than normal HP's since they would have a chance to "clog" the cavity and act more like a FMJ and penetrate further.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
223 and 9mm.................... most bang for the buck weight wise.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
a good higher capacity rifle like an AR, a 12 gauge, and a good reliable pistol in 9mm or 45
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take this :

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#13]

All that needs is like a 1k gallon tank for fuel mounted on the top behind the cab and you could mow all day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#14]

I call shotgun!!!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Give me any semi-auto rifle .223 cal and up with 20+ cap mags and we're g2g. Any handgun will do fine since it really shouldn't be more than a weapon to get you to your rifle anyways.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:17:21 PM EDT
[#16]

are those tactical combat stippled tires?
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 12:39:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

and does it come in MARPAT?
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i think those are chains used to protect the relatively soft rubber of those awfully large and odd sized, EXPENSIVE tires...

K.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Any caliber that leaves a hole in the shull when it exits.
Link Posted: 1/2/2011 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Interesting....I guess I should have been more specific.....for the most part...the combo I suggested was more for close range...as in trying to get out.....but if I would have the distance...then I would use my AR-10 and M-15 for LONG and MEDIUM range....but none the less....a FLAME THROWER would be more to the point.....LOL

SASS

Flame Throwers and zeds don't mix...
The only thing worse then being eaten by a zombie, is being eaten by a zombie that's on fire....
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Mount a couple of Mini guns on that thing and you got a co-pilot..... or a snow blower equal to the size....
SASS
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Why hasn't anyone said an AK.  You've got 7.62x39 which even out to about 200 yards will be pretty accurate.... and very effective.  Dependable, reliable, rugged, inexpensive to purchase and shoot, and like AR's there are a lot of them out there.  Don't get me wrong about AR's cause that is my primary rifle, but when encountering the "undead", I think an AK would be promoted to my primary weapong of choice with my Glock 34 on my hip.

Anyway... just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why hasn't anyone said an AK.  You've got 7.62x39 which even out to about 200 yards will be pretty accurate.... and very effective.  Dependable, reliable, rugged, inexpensive to purchase and shoot, and like AR's there are a lot of them out there.  Don't get me wrong about AR's cause that is my primary rifle, but when encountering the "undead", I think an AK would be promoted to my primary weapong of choice with my Glock 34 on my hip.

You mean something like this.....  AK..overkill

or maybe a belt fed one....   another one...Zombie Killer

either one would work....sorry didn't mean to leave them out...but when SHTF figured you will probably pick them up off the dead idiots......LOL

SASS

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the .45 acp 230 gr. FMJ  For a pistol round and a good AR for the CQB stuff.  I have a Savage 110 in 7 mag that lay the down at a long distance, and finally a mossy 500 that will help in the event I can't keep them at a reasonable distance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

i recall watching a video not to long ago about the ar vs the ak. they did an accuracy test at either 100 or 200 yds im not sure which it was and between the two stock rifles they fired something like 10 rounds from each iron sights at a human sized target. the ar made 9/10 the ak landed 1/10

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The only reason I would carry my AK on Z-Day is because I have 3x's the ammo and a nice 75rd drum. It would really only be good for riot control if trying to get to a vehicle or building.

Otherwise, I would prefer AR as my main, shotgun across my back, and a 9mm on my side.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#27]
The problem with all the above is that they attract more zombies to the fun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i recall watching a video not to long ago about the ar vs the ak. they did an accuracy test at either 100 or 200 yds im not sure which it was and between the two stock rifles they fired something like 10 rounds from each iron sights at a human sized target. the ar made 9/10 the ak landed 1/10  

BS
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

BS

Observe.

That's about the cheapest bottom of the barrel AK you can get. WASR 10/63.
Just because conscripted soldiers and insurgents can't aim doesn't mean their rifles are not accurate enough for combat.

As to the original topic here. A shotgun would make an excellent entry gun if you have to go into a building or house. The problem with a shotgun is that I don't have a pack mule to haul my ammunition. Like any other weapon, it would work best with some good support from other weapons. The problem with using a shotgun on zombies is that you have to hit the head, and it is slower to fire than a high capacity semiautomatic rifle. A shotgun will down pretty much any living threat you will encounter in one blast to the torso. Zombies will require more care when aiming, so a heavy, slow and hard kicking weapon might not be the best choice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:47:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BS

Observe.

Just because conscripted soldiers and insurgents can't aim doesn't mean their rifles are not accurate enough for combat.

As to the original topic here. A shotgun would make an excellent entry gun if you have to go into a building or house. The problem with a shotgun is that I don't have a pack mule to haul my ammunition. Like any other weapon, it would work best with some good support from other weapons. The problem with using a shotgun on zombies is that you have to hit the head, and it is slower to fire than a high capacity semiautomatic rifle. A shotgun will down pretty much any living threat you will encounter in one blast to the torso. Zombies will require more care when aiming, so a heavy, slow and hard kicking weapon might not be the best choice.

No...... That guy is not a valid arguement... He is a freak of nature. He rings that gong at 100yds with a Glock 36....

I am pretty sure he is an escaped  govt expirement.

but seriously i have never fooled with the AK's much and  dont know many who do..

It seems like it was a show on the history channel about the best rifles ever made is where i saw that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:45:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm gonna have to disagree with the shotgun thing a little bit. A Tromix Siaga with a 20 round drum would be absolutely devistating. I do agree that mags & ammo are much larger and hevier, but as far as a shotgun goes, it's the best you can get for Z-Day.

As far as like a pump or a semi (tube fed), then yeah, AR or similar carbine all day, but if I could put my hands on a Tomix, I would be more torn. I would probably end up going assualt rifle, but for room clearing & holding down the fort, the Tromix would be VERY nice to have.

NOT MY PIC
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

a FLAME THROWER would be more to the point.....LOL

SASS

bad, bad idea...

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#33]
what about a silencer on your ar so they can't hear you take em down? I mean lets be real, most of us live in a area with at least 1500-10000 people, so chances are we wanna get the hell outta urban areas and find somewhere you can have standoff. So moving outta a urban area should be stealthy right? Just thinkin you might have better chance of survival. Just my random thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
what about a silencer on your ar so they can't hear you take em down? I mean lets be real, most of us live in a area with at least 1500-10000 people, so chances are we wanna get the hell outta urban areas and find somewhere you can have standoff. So moving outta a urban area should be stealthy right? Just thinkin you might have better chance of survival. Just my random thoughts.

silencer?       ummm....yeahhhhh...............
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

.45 ACP?  Again you can carry more 9mm rounds for the same load, and 9mm guns tend to be higher capacity for the same size.  Would you rather have 17 rounds of 9mm or 8 rounds of .45 ACP?  Against a brain either will do the same job, with the 9 you can take down over twice as many Zeds.

For the record....I HATE 9mm....but for Zeds....it is the way to go! Bottom line!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

BS

Observe.

No...... That guy is not a valid arguement... He is a freak of nature. He rings that gong at 100yds with a Glock 36....  
I am pretty sure he is an escaped  govt expirement.
but seriously i have never fooled with the AK's much and  dont know many who do..
It seems like it was a show on the history channel about the best rifles ever made is where i saw that.

Completely valid argument. The AK is capable, most shooters are not (I would say because most shooters need to get their ass away from the bench). Another reason the AK is usually touted as being so inaccurate is because of the way the Soviets used them. Soviet doctrine was always that "quantity has a quality all its own." The rifleman with an AK was to suppress the enemy while others would flank, or ideally, comrades would just run them over in a T54. A 7.62 AK, firing one shot at a time can produce head sized groups at 100 yards as long as the shooter does their part. A 5.45 or 5.56 AK is pretty much on par accuracy wise with an M4. The main drain on semiautomatic accuracy for the AK is the sights, but there are other options available, and plenty of reliable solutions for optics.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Whatever the LEO and military types are carrying...I'm carrying. More ammo for me that way.

That being said, I'm thinking of selling my AK and building an AR. I've had ARs in the past, now I want another.

I don't like 9mm either, but if I find any weapons on the walking, rotting corpse of an LEO or .mil type, I'll head shot him and take it and whatever ammo he has.

Too bad you can't carrying as much shit on your person as the dude can in Fallout 3/New Vegas.

There's so many damn movies out there that don't scrounge weapons and ammo at every chance they get. The only movie I really remember is the ARFCOM training film called RED DAWN.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Any caliber that leaves a hole in the shull when it exits.

I agree with thehellbringer though....anything that'll leave a hole in the SKULL is fine by me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#41]
My 2 WASR 10's shot Minute of Bunny at 100 yards and that equals Minute of Zed Brain at 100.  If you miss 9/10 shots at 100 yards on a man size target you suck, hard.  The AK isn't my first choice, its probably my last, but it's still up to the job.  Personally I'm going to use my G36C or OSW come Zday.

A good carbine, in a group of people with good carbines is your best bet.  I'd say go with a piston run gun, or on a budget an AK74.  .223 or 5.45 is a minimum, any smaller and your going to have a hard time dealing with other desperate survivors.  Run it alone and your Zed food.

If you want a shotgun, get an SBS or AOW size, or travel with a large group.  It has a place in a Squad but Solo, not a chance.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#42]
ughhh........guys......when are we gonna stop this and just remember thats it's all about the logistics!

We all know all kinds of reasons for what we carry....but...

We're gonna have to carry what we have, and what we have ammo for, remember...if you carry it...you've gotta feed it!

Now for FUCKS SAKE....SHOOT THE DAMN ZOMBIES!!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:52:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Im bringing my Saiga AK to the party. It will make consistant head shots at 100 plus yards, no problem. While the shotgun has its uses, it would not be my primary weapon. And .40 cal > 9mm
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now wait just a sec before you dismiss me as a dork, in the movies what always brings the hordes of zombies running? Sound and movement, because it means food. So why would a silencer be a bad idea? Just saying. Unless you want a mass of flesh eaters coming your way to run your ammo supply down and make any kind of movement to be a wild ass run for life, whats wrong with a silencer? hmmmmmm?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now wait just a sec before you dismiss me as a dork, in the movies what always brings the hordes of zombies running? Sound and movement, because it means food. So why would a silencer be a bad idea? Just saying. Unless you want a mass of flesh eaters coming your way to run your ammo supply down and make any kind of movement to be a wild ass run for life, whats wrong with a silencer? hmmmmmm?

Its a suppressor not a silencer.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're gonna take down 1 or 2 shamblers, why not use a hatchet/sword/machete. It's quieter then a suppressor, saves ammo and best of all, no running for your lfe. But, if you're surrounded by shamblers, you're screwed anyway. Their moaning attratcs others.

Ragers is an entirely different approach. But we all know in the Zombie forum...a true Zombie is a brain dead shambler with limited motor-skills.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes i totally disagree with AK's being inaccurate. My Mac 90 is wonderfully precise. its not stock tho, but that doesn't really matter.

I would def take my AAC suppressed AR for two reasons, 1. supressed, and 2. i can carry more ammo.

M&P9 for the same reasons.

commie steel mags full of 7.62 are heavy.

plus any american forces ( military, police, ect.) that die will prob have compatible ammo on them for what i have.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#49]
plus, i remember hearing somewhere on the military channel that the AK47 have taken more lives than any other model firearm made.

now rather thats true or not, ( i can see it being true ) you don't get a stat or a rumor like that with a rifle that hit 1/10 @100 yards.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a suppressor not a silencer.
I stand corrected.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top