Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2010 3:19:35 PM EDT
Now I realize that if you are down to a blade, things aren't looking good for ya.  HOWEVER, sometimes, a good blade is a fine alternative to shooting the Zeds,
Quiet, no muzzle blast to attract other ones.
Effective, with a quick stab or cut to the head
just plain FUN to use as well.

I had a blade smith up in Connecticut make this one for me.  The steel is hand forged Damascus, the sheath Walnut.  The blade is 22" long, .25 thick, and as sharp as Grand Dad's razor.  This is one serious weapon, and one that I would be glad to have along during an 'interface'.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats a fine weapon you have there.  Be forewarned that you are stirring the pot bringing up edged weapons in here......

I think that melee weapons have their purpose in every scenario, its just that most "swords" people would use
A. they have no training with edged melee weapons and suddenly expect to be imbued with some mystical hidden weapons training of lives past
B. most swords sold are meant as decor only, not truely battle forged weapons.
Seems mto me that you are exempt from B., just be sure you dont fall into catagory A...........
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
well, I took fencing back in college, does that count?

Bear in mind that anything at all to do with Zombies is somewhat removed from  reality, so discussing sharp metal does not have to be any more practical or real, than the  discussion of guns.  

I think with  most every discussion of Zombies, folks feel they are imbued with mystical powers and   amazing luck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 4:02:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Agreed.   Personally, if it ever does become a reality, I think we are all screwed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I rather have a heavy dull instrument.

Blades always have that nasty issue of getting stuck... Not to mention you have to penetrate through the skull into the brain every time or you have no kill... I would prefer a metal baseball bat to a sword.

Now something like this:

I can use this all the time (not just for killing zombies) and yet is long enough and more then heavy enough to crack skulls. Yeah... I think a 36" wrecking bar is just about perfect.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one of those as well.   No one would ever doubt the efficiency of a good crowbar.  :D
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have one of those as well.   No one would ever doubt the efficiency of a good crowbar.  :D

Utility (weight of the crowbar) takes away from the portability and usability. I like the metal baseball bat, or even a wooden one with some sort of impact studs or bolt heads in the end to increase pressure would be more practical for people of average to lower strengths. Crowbar should definitely be in your ZRV though for those shopping/reloading excursions.

[/hijack]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like the metal baseball bat, or even a wooden one with some sort of impact studs or bolt heads in the end to increase pressure would be more practical for people of average to lower strengths. [/hijack]

I like that thought! A good ole Louisville Slugger with some 3/4" lag bolts put in! I just might have to invest the time into making one up here in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
stop

Hammer time
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
stop

Hammer time

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to teh Army I got bayonet skillz.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I still think it's a really bad idea (Joe Biden in a position of authority bad), but if you had to, a Kukri or Roman Gladius would be effective IMHO.Shorter and lighter than most swords, both would be easier to use in a small space and not as tiring to use for an extended period of time.Of course, swinging a katana or claymore in a field full of Z's sounds cool, but it would probably only be remembered as a great last stand ("remember when that dude ran into that zombie horde swinging a samurai sword?Looked cool before they had his ass for lunch.")
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I still think it's a really bad idea (Joe Biden in a position of authority bad), but if you had to, a Kukri or Roman Gladius would be effective IMHO.Shorter and lighter than most swords, both would be easier to use in a small space and not as tiring to use for an extended period of time.Of course, swinging a katana or claymore in a field full of Z's sounds cool, but it would probably only be remembered as a great last stand ("remember when that dude ran into that zombie horde swinging a samurai sword?Looked cool before they had his ass for lunch.")

Now, if you only care about going out in style, taking down a load of zeds, you'll want to get you one of THESE!
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Agreed
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now, if you only care about going out in style, taking down a load of zeds, you'll want to get you one of THESE!

That was priceless.Too bad we can't see the look on his face.

Link Posted: 8/11/2010 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was priceless.Too bad we can't see the look on his face.

you can, if you look close his face flew by the camera
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Teh Kuks is not ghey.  It's "Fo" time.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#17]
My crowbar doesn't swing, I'll stick with the kukri
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Peanut Butter Jelly
Peanut Butter Jelly
Peanut Butter Jelly and a BASEBALL BAT!
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Ownage provided by Wesley Snipes.  one of my favorite swords that I own.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#20]
If you must use a blade, the one you have pictured would be about ideal I would imagine. For bladed weapons, I would prefer a machete, something like yours, or a gladius type of sword.

All said and done, I would much rather have an aluminum baseball bat over any blade for combat.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a "katana" that is made out of leaf spring steel.  It is is only a katana in the sense that the blade is shaped like a katana.  It is very tough, goes through china wall hangers without harming the edge.

Here is my zombie hatred kit....SOG Fusion Tomahawk, Cold Steel Tanto (older US Made :0 ) and S&W Wesson folding tanto.

OH yeah and an 870 Police Magnum and SA 1911...

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh, I think a blade has its place in the Zombie Defense Arsenal...My modest submission:

That is an issue 1917 Cutlass that has been chrome plated for use in military cermonies, but is actually about 40 years old (the handles had rotted off when I acquired it, so I made new ones from red oak and brass bolsters).  The Ditch Witch was just in Home Depot...and I couldn't see that thing and NOT buy it for the ZDA!  

M1-A for distant zombies...
Mossberg 590/bayonet combo for closer targets...
Ditch Witch until my arms get too tired, then
1917 Cutlass, with .45 in left hand...If I'm going out, I'm going out in style!  Preferably, on the railings of an old wooden sailing ship...
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#24]
COLD STEEL MACHETE
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oh, I think a blade has its place in the Zombie Defense Arsenal...My modest submission:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j28/sixtigers/ZombieDefense-1.jpg

That is an issue 1917 Cutlass that has been chrome plated for use in military cermonies, but is actually about 40 years old (the handles had rotted off when I acquired it, so I made new ones from red oak and brass bolsters).  The Ditch Witch was just in Home Depot...and I couldn't see that thing and NOT buy it for the ZDA!  

1917 Cutlass, with .45 in left hand...If I'm going out, I'm going out in style!  Preferably, on the railings of an old wooden sailing ship...

i always heard these were what is reffered to as ditch witches. LINK

around here that thing you're calling a "ditch witch" is called a brush ax... i have one also, they are damned handy...

K.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm impressed!
A whole page, and no one has said "ALWAYS BLADE AT 45*".

But,seriously, that is a nice looking sword, and should be waaaaay more functional than the chinese wall hangers folks buy at the fun shows.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i always heard these were what is reffered to as ditch witches. LINK

around here that thing you're calling a "ditch witch" is called a brush ax... i have one also, they are damned handy...

K.

This. either way, would do some dammage, start working out now. I've used those many times, back aches baby.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not going to be using a blade for Zed killing. If I have to use one then they have gotten too close for comfort plus at a risk of it getting stuck and me receiving a bite for going hand to hand with one. Plus you don't want to be cutting up one and have their blood splashing all in your eyes.

The only blade Ill be using is if its got a long handle that I can easily reach them from the safety of a high perch.

Bats or mallets on the other hand can be quite useful.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Buy a cold steel bushman and put a rake handle on it. you will be finished spending less than $30 they make a nice spear when done and would deliver alot of hurt on a zombie. I have 2 of them and consider them the best non-firearm weapon i own. a decent throw puts them in a tree a few inches, it would have no problem with zombie skulls.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, if I were to get a bladed weapon for zombies, I'd probably get one of the Cold Steel Cutlasses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top