Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2009 3:13:56 PM EDT
I remember a few times when the NRA gave high grades to politicians who have anti-gun pasts.  Does this still happen?
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, their ratings are crap.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, I was not aware of this and have often used NRA ratings as a guide before voting. Anyone have specific examples?
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 3:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
2006, Jeanine Pirro running for NY AG was given a C.  She deserved an F as for years she used her office as Westchester DA as a soapbox for gun control.  2008, Sandy Treadwell was giving an A in his Congressional bid while his record as NY GOP chief at best suggested indifference to the issue.  Plus he lied in a campaign mailer.  From what I've seen, about 25% to 35% of their ratings are off, either too pro or too anti.  In the NY-23 special Congressional election Dede Scozzafava was given an A, but that is a bit generous as while she voted with us against gun control, I can't recall her ever promoting pro-gun bills.

To be fair I don't believe all of this is deliberate.  I do not think they spend enough time looking at incumbent records and I do not believe they research challengers enough to make informed decisions.  Most of their endorsements go to incumbents and the bulk of them don't really need them.  I suspect that is because they just don't have the ability to use their resources in the most effective manner.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
2006, Jeanine Pirro running for NY AG was given a C.  She deserved an F as for years she used her office as Westchester DA as a soapbox for gun control.  2008, Sandy Treadwell was giving an A in his Congressional bid while his record as NY GOP chief at best suggested indifference to the issue.  Plus he lied in a campaign mailer.  From what I've seen, about 25% to 35% of their ratings are off, either too pro or too anti.  In the NY-23 special Congressional election Dede Scozzafava was given an A, but that is a bit generous as while she voted with us against gun control, I can't recall her ever promoting pro-gun bills.

To be fair I don't believe all of this is deliberate.  I do not think they spend enough time looking at incumbent records and I do not believe they research challengers enough to make informed decisions.  Most of their endorsements go to incumbents and the bulk of them don't really need them.  I suspect that is because they just don't have the ability to use their resources in the most effective manner.

After looking at some scores of politicians I know well, I found their scores were very acurate.  I guess a few slipups will happen given that there must be over 1000 people to score nationwide.  Are there anymore examples of bad scores?
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#5]
As I said I see about 25-35% of their grades are off every cycle, either too pro or too anti.  One Assemblyman votes against us everytime and has a press release touting gun control on his website gets a B while another who votes with us everytime and sponsors good bills get a ?.  One former Assemblyman got As and endorsements when he voted against us 50-60% of the time.  I gave him the C he deserved an took him out in a primary.  The list goes on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2009 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm trying to find Obama's score.

I give him an F.  He is clearly anti-gun and also lies about it, so I think the NRA should give a special mark to people who want to do a gun grab but who lie in order to get votes.
F* or something like that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#7]

As I said I see about 25-35% of their grades are off every cycle, either too pro or too anti.
 How can one be too Pro? Please elaborate....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I think he means that the NRA's grade is erroneously shifted in either the "pro" or "anti" direction.

For example, if a particular candidate should have a C rating, the NRA's rating would be too "pro" if it gave this candidate a B rating or too "anti" if it gave this candidate a D rating.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think he means that the NRA's grade is erroneously shifted in either the "pro" or "anti" direction.

For example, if a particular candidate should have a C rating, the NRA's rating would be too "pro" if it gave this candidate a B rating or too "anti" if it gave this candidate a D rating.

Yes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top