Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2014 2:31:12 AM EDT
Missouri: Right to Keep and Bear Arms Amendment Placed on August Ballot – Under Attack by Gun Control Crowd

As previously reported, the Missouri General Assembly passed Senate Joint Resolution 36 by an overwhelming and bipartisan majority.  Recently, Governor Jay Nixon (D) decided to have SJR 36 placed on the Primary Election ballot on August 5.  Sponsored by state Senator Kurt Schaefer (R-19) and Majority Leader Ron Richard (R-32), SJR 36 would strengthen Missouri’s current right to keep and bear arms constitutional amendment, Section 23, Article I.  SJR 36 would remove language stating, “but this shall not justify the wearing of concealed weapons,” and insert language to strengthen the constitutional amendment to ensure the strongest possible protection against any proposed restrictions to your fundamental rights.

Late last week, a lawsuit was filed against SJR 36 (Constitutional Amendment 5 on the August 5 ballot) – with the plaintiff being St. Louis Police Chief Samuel Dotson III and Rebecca Morgan, a member of the Missouri chapter of an anti-gun group funded by Michael Bloomberg.

This lawsuit challenges the ballot language, but its intention is to outright kill the ballot measure.  If it were up to those who filed the lawsuit, your right to keep and bear arms would not exist.

Your NRA-ILA will continue to update you on the status of this legal battle, but at this time, please contact state Senators Kurt Schaefer and Ron Richard, and thank them for their hard work in passing SJR 36 and their efforts on the legal battle on this ballot measure.  Their contact information is provided below.

Senator Kurt Schaefer:
(573) 751-3931

Senator Ron Richard:
(573) 751-2173

Read more at: NRA-ILA
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent.        

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#2]
It will suck if it doesn't pass. With Kansas City and St. Louis voting, passage is not a sure bet.

BTW, here's the text . . . http://www.senate.mo.gov/14info/pdf-bill/tat/SJR36.pdf
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:23:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have only been a Show Me resident for 4 years now, retiring here from the Army and moved here... but, we all need to stand up to these wackos and put em out of a job if they dont like our "Rights".....
Is there that many sheeple in SLT and KC that puts em in office?
Glad I dont live in either city.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have only been a Show Me resident for 4 years now, retiring here from the Army and moved here... but, we all need to stand up to these wackos and put em out of a job if they dont like our "Rights".....
Is there that many sheeple in SLT and KC that puts em in office?
Glad I dont live in either city.
View Quote

This thing is going to a vote of the people. It will be on the ballot in August. And yes, there are a lot of bed-wetting liberals in St. Louis and KC. The good thing is that August is not usually a really popular election so maybe only people who care about the issue will turn out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top