Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2008 7:31:14 AM EDT
I'm not sure that I agree with this post.  I post and you folks decide.

5sub

Pacific Will Drive Future Navy Investment
Aviation Week's DTI | Bettina H. Chavanne | September 04, 2008
This article first appeared at Aerospace Daily & Defense Report.

Pacific-realm activity, Iranian behavior, resurgent major powers like China and the prevalence of low-intensity conflict (LIC) will drive U.S. Navy investments in the region, according to Marshall Billingslea, deputy under secretary of the Navy.

Maritime power is uniquely suited to safeguard the interests of the United States, Billingslea told a multinational crowd Sept. 3 at ComDef 2008 in Washington. In the Pacific, the United States claims to be upgrading its carrier presence in alliance with Japan and actively pursuing new relationships with countries like India and Indonesia. A renewed partnership with New Zealand also presents an opportunity for the United States, Billingslea added.

He also hailed what he called the cutting edge of the Navy's technological modernization, the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS). "This is an incredible, agile class of ships," Billingslea said. "It gives the U.S. what I would say is unmatched military capability in the littorals around the world."

Evolving strategy

The ship is a sign of the evolution of U.S. naval strategy from a hub-and-spoke operational posture into a structure capable of conducting disaggregated operations, according to Billingslea. "This is a nontrivial challenge," he said. "And it's forcing us to rethink a number of things," including satellite and bandwidth requirements, data processing needs and intelligence-afloat requirements, among others.

The LCS program, nonetheless, has undergone major restructuring and cost increases since last year and has challenged the Navy's already tenuous long-term shipbuilding and fleet force plan.

Billingslea also cited the controversial V-22 Osprey as a sign of naval aviation success and noted the reconstitution of riverine forces in Iraq, as well as the expansion of the Seabees' expeditionary construction capabilities and continued investment in Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles.

"We're implementing a maritime strategy focused on partnerships," Billingslea said, "and an investment plan that emphasizes power projection and the capability to fight an irregular war for the sustained future."

"We're implementing a maritime strategy focused on partnerships," Billingslea said, "and an investment plan that emphasizes power projection and the capability to fight an irregular war for the sustained future."

Partnerships...........I fully trust only Great Britain and Australia.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you notice how we responded to the Russian invasion of Georgia?

That was a practice run for our response to China when they reclaim Taiwan.

Any efforts in the Pacific by the US Navy will be to protect and maintain shipping lanes.

Your faith in UK and Australia, alone, is well founded.

It's the gringos against the world!
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you notice how we responded to the Russian invasion of Georgia?

That was a practice run for our response to China when they reclaim Taiwan.

Any efforts in the Pacific by the US Navy will be to protect and maintain shipping lanes.

Your faith in UK and Australia, alone, is well founded.

It's the gringos against the world!

I still believe Taiwan will voluntarily re-join China.........much Like Hong Kong and Macao.  One country, different systems.  Both Hong Kong and Macao continue to be huge economic successes under China's rule.

5sub
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The Pacific Theater has been driving Navy policy, recapitalization prioritization, tactics, etc. since 2005.  
It began driving National policy in earnest in 2006.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top