Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 5:42:59 PM EDT
She might be head of Kadima, but Bibi's the odds-on favorite to regain the PM position.  

HH
------------------------------------

Livni: When I'm PM, I'll seek unity gov't with Labor, Likud  

By Mazal Mualem, Haaretz Correspondent  

www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1004490.html

Tags: tzipi livni, kadima primaries  

Launching her campaign for the Kadima primary in September, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni declared Tuesday that after winning the race, she will immediately work to form a national unity government with Likud's Benjamin Netanyahu and Labor's Ehud Barak.

Speaking at a gathering of activists at the Kadima branch in Hadera, Livni said that a unity government is the best thing for Israel at a time of internal disputes and external threats, and promised there would be room for members from Meretz to Yisrael Beiteinu.

"I think that out of this swamp it is possible to generate a very broad common denominator: a unity government that will advance the peace process," Livni told Haaretz. "Bibi, too, understands now that the concept of economic peace is not enough. He also says so. The same goes for investing in education and changing the government within the framework of a unity government."
Advertisement

Livni commented on the negative publicity she has received in the past few days, including attacks attributed to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert implying that she is not cut out to function under pressure, as well as a Channel 1 television report Tuesday night about her past service in the Mossad.

"I know they'll be gunning for me," she told Haaretz. "I knew it from Day 1, but I made a decision from the start not to get hung up on other people and not to deal with what others say about me. I'm coming from a place where any question is legitimate, and I know they'll keep trying to go after me, but I don't get into that. My life story is open to everyone, including my political and security experience. In recent years I was a partner in the government to reaching significant political and security decisions, including Resolution 1701, and I wish to be judged on the basis of those decisions."

Livni ratcheted up her political activity this week, holding four gatherings and parlor meetings in the past three days alone: in Herzliya, Beit Shemesh, Netanya and Hadera. On these occasions she speaks about the reasons she entered politics - the Oslo Accords, her ties to Ariel Sharon, the rule of law, and her desire to be prime minister. These encounters are closed to the press.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top